Topic: Mucinous Carcinoma of the breast

Forum: Less Common Types of Breast Cancer — Meet others with less common forms of breast cancer, such as Medullary carcinoma, Inflammatory breast cancers, Mucinous carcinoma (colloid carcinoma), Paget's disease, Papillary carcinoma, Phyllodes tumor, Tubular carcinomas, Metaplastic tumors, Adenoid cystic carcinomas and Angiosarcoma.

Posted on: Apr 23, 2009 07:43PM

Posted on: Apr 23, 2009 07:43PM

peggym wrote:

On April 21st I had a core biopsy and today I was told that I have mucinous carcinoma of the breast.  When I investigated on this website, the information given was that this is a rare type of cancer, about 2-3% of all breast cancers and usually occurs in post-menopausal women over the age of 60.  I am neither.  I am 51 years old, but still menstruate.  I have an appointment with a surgeon, but feel as though I am in the state of shock.  This "nodule" was found on routine mammogram and I convinced myself that it was nothing.

This may sound odd at my age, but I just recently started to enjoy and like 'these babies'.  The thought of losing my breast scares me tremendously, and I have not even considered the thought of this cancer metastasizing.  I won't think of that!

Page 1 of 254 (2,532 results)

Apr 23, 2009 07:53PM Mykidsmom wrote:

Peggy - A very close friend of mine was about your age and pre-menopausal two years ago when she was also dx'd w/ the same type of bc. She is doing fine today. She tells me that it is a very slow growing and generally relatively stable type of bc. She felt fortunate that she had that type. She also did not lose her breast, she had a lumpectomy. I hope this helps a little. I know all this is quite hard to deal w/ at first. Gentle hugs going your way my dear. - Jean

Prophylactic Bilateral Mastectomy w/ Tissue Expanders - 12/08 Exchange 04/09 Dx 8/25/2008, LCIS, Stage 0

Apr 30, 2009 11:55PM csss31399 wrote:

Hi, Peggy

My mom (57yo) was diagnosed with this on March 30.  She is having a lumpectomy next Thursday to remove some more tissue since they didn't get clear margins with the first biopsy.  They are also doing a sentinel node biopsy to check the lymphnodes.  I have done a ton of research this month on mucinous carcinoma.  I am calling it the best of the worst.  They also called my mom's a "nodule".  She was in shock just as you are as it doesn't usually appear cancerous on a mammogram.  I am sorry you are having to deal with this.  Keep in touch.  Your stories sound very similar.  Hugs & Prayers!

May 1, 2009 11:10AM Sphynx wrote:

For being so rare, I just ran into two posts.  I'll repeat what I put on the other.

I had invasive mucinous carcinoma. It is rare and this board doesn't even have an option to input it as one of the types. I'm a six year survivor and I've been around bc.org for most of those 6 years. There are actually many of us that have that diagnosis. I quit keeping track of the names many years ago. You read and hear that it has the best prognosis. Mine was invasive and grade 3 so I had surgeries, chemo and radiation.

PA - I was also pre-menopausal, diagnosed at 49. 

Dx 2/28/2003, Stage II, Grade 3, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

May 18, 2009 01:38PM Chunkies wrote:

Peggy - I've been trolling these forums for awhile but I haven't felt the need to post until I saw your thread.  I had a hard time finding information about mucinous tumors as well but google has been good to me. 

I was 28 when I was diagnosed and I had two surgeries - biopsy and reexcision with sentinel node biopsy.  I also read that this type of cancer is slow growing (1/3 the growth rate of regular IDC) and doesn't tend to spread but they did find a few cancer cells in one lymph node.  Part of the problem was that the tumor appeared normal on an ultrasound a year before my diagnosis and given my age, my doctors though the mass was benign.

Right now I am in the midst of chemo (round 3/4 coming up tomorrow.)  Once that is done, I'll move onto radiation.  I have my fingers crossed that all will be well.  If you have any questions, contact me.  I've done a ton of reading.  *hugs*

Dx 12/30/2008, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 11, 2009 02:26PM saraand45 wrote:

I was 45 last July when I was diagnosed with Mucinous Carcinoma.  I am always trolling to find more info on this type. Maybe there should be a forum for rare types of a BC,  because there are a few types and I am sure alot of women like me are looking for more info and to connect with others with our same type of BC.

Tina

Dx 8/13/2008, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 12, 2009 07:44PM firegirl33 wrote:

Agree, I had a pure mucinous colloid and when I just registered, that was not one of the choices. Shame on breast. org...

Peggy, my tumor was 5.4cm and they were able to do a lumpectomy and radiation. It depends on where it is located. I had the Oncotype test done, against my Oncologist advice. My surgeon ordered it for me. It came back that my type of tumor would respond only 1% to chemo., so I skipped that. Lymph nodes were negative. Did 38 radiation treatments. and now take femara, that was 2 yrs ago. Insist on that test!!  I was 55 and still menstrating, but 6 months later I was post.  A mastectomy is not the only option. It makes a difference if it is pure or mixed. You need to find that out.   

MCM Dx 4/6/2007, 5cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jul 18, 2009 05:33PM rjwax wrote:

I was Dx with mucinous type IDC on June 8th 2009, I am 36. Clinical staging is Stage 2, 2.2cm, had lumpectomy, SNB and axillary dissection on July 13 (five days ago).  Wating for final path report, so do not know yet if pure mucinous type or mixed.

Indeed there is not much info specific to this type of tumor, but from what I have found, it is a form of IDC but with some more favorable characteristics. If I can recall where I saw the info, I will post. 

At diagnosis, surgeon presented favorable aspects of this type first, so it is certainly something that stuck in my mind. When I met with a med onc pre-op, I really had to push him about the options with this possibly more favorable tumor type. He was all about how agressive Rx usually is for women <40, because tumors are often more agressive. Asked about role of Oncotype DX if node negative, necessity of chemo, etc. I am interested in preserving my fertility as well. Doc did mention that if tumor is mixed type, the favorbale aspects of mucinous type are more or less out of the running.  Of course all this remains to be determined and I am trying not to be too anxious about it! Although I have to think the the pre-surg and pre-path period is absolutely the worst. Each step that has given me more information and a plan of action has been so incredibly helpful to my mental health. 

Despite the lower chances of node involvement with mucinous type, ended up with SNB and axillary dissection because I had some "prominent" nodes on bilateral MRI. Was then sent for a fine needle aspiration of lymph nodes that was inconclusive (argh!). During surgery one of two SNB nodes "grumpy" (my term) so they did proceed to dissection, and a few of those nodes looked grumpy too. Still holding out hope that they were just grumpy and doing their job and do not have tumor cells in there. 

Hang in there, 

Rachel

Age 36, lumpx, dose dense AC + 12 weekly taxol, radsx33, tamoxifen Dx 6/8/2009, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 3/24 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 20, 2009 05:15PM firegirl33 wrote:

Ladies, If you have a pure mucinous colloid, insist on that Oncotype test. In 2008 the NCCI rules that a pure mucinous colloid does not respond to chemo. Radiation after surgeryt is the front line treatment. The test is $3600.00 some insurances will pay, some not. The company has its own plan I had to pay $150.00. Well worth the money to avoid chemo, esp. those of you who are child bearing age.   If your tumor is mixed, thats a different story but if pure have that test.  My tumor was over 5 cm. and I got to avoid chemo. Had radiation and now take Femara that was May 2007.

MCM Dx 4/6/2007, 5cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Aug 28, 2009 11:04PM rjwax wrote:

I ended up with lymph node involvement, so although the tumor retained its mucinous characteristics throughout as far as I can tell, I still have to have chemo.  it is still invasive ductal canrcinoma with lymph node involvement- 3 of 22. Final size from lumpectomy was 3cm. bummer for me.I will also get rads after chemo since I had a lumpectomy.

A sample of my tumor was sent for a test that is like oncotype dx that they are currently trying to validate for early stage BC with lymph node involvement. I have not gotten the results yet, but it will not change my treatment. But will give me an additional sense about risk of recurrence, I guess. 

Age 36, lumpx, dose dense AC + 12 weekly taxol, radsx33, tamoxifen Dx 6/8/2009, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 3/24 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 3, 2009 06:12AM paulafromhi wrote:

Peggy, I just read your posting and it is scary how we are the same age and have the same diagnosis.  I feel like I have a twin out there.  I just had a biopsy done on Aug. 13 and given the news on Aug. 17.  Like you I am in a state of shock.  Thank you for your posting because I have learned more from everyone that responded then what I have read on the internet.  In doing research, and from what I have experienced so far, I feel that Hawaii is not the place to have treatment of this rare cancer and I have decided to have treatment on the mainland.  I am trying to decide on what to do but favoring getting a lumpectomy.  Good luck.

Dx 8/17/2009, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 254 (2,532 results)

Scroll to top button