Log in to post a reply
May 15, 2018 07:04AM
Hi all. I am 42 and I was diagnosed 1.5 months ago and, since then, I've been researching and studying all I can find about mucinous carcinoma. So far, I have read the 2.105 posts on this topic and I have read all of your journey since 2009. This topic has been my lifeline and the major information source. Thank you all.
I've always had my yearly breast medical review done, since I have an aunt who died from breast cancer at 52. A year and a half ago, I felt a lump in my left breast, headed to the doctor and had all the images done, I was told it was a 2cm benign cyst; since my breast had always had dense images and multiples lumps and cysts coming and going, I was ok with the diagnosis.
3 months ago, I went to my yearly review and the lump had grown, I was advised to do a biopsy and the result came back in march with the diagnosis of mucinous carcinoma, multifocal, there were 4 lumps; the biggest one is 3.8 cm in its largest dimenssion and the smallest one is 1.3 in its largest dimenssion.
I had a LMX three weeks ago with TE placement, still recovering at home, I am a mum of two little boys (9 and 4 yro.) but I have great support from my family, specially my husband, mum and sister.
I'm in a grey place regarding treatment, since I had many lumps and one of them was at <1mm from my chest wall, despite all the margins from surgery were clear. I don't know if I will have chemo or radiation before endochrine therapy. I have my appointment with the oncologyst on may 28. Also, I will have genetic advice done to decide about a prophylactic right mastectomy.
I've needed psychiatrist advice to deal with my diagnosis. I am a very private person and found very difficult to vent my fears and sadness with my friends or family, that said, thank god for my dear psychiatrist. What I find hardest about this cancer diagnosis, now that I know it has a good prognosis, is the fact that I won't be able to be mum again. My husband and I had been trying for some time to have our third child, and now this will never happen, and it breaks me through tears anytime I think about it.
Aaall of this said, I have a question and hope you can help me. The first biopsy, ran on the largest lump, came up as grade 1, bilaminal A and its IHQ values were ER+ 100%, PR + 75%, HER2 -, Kl67 10%. The biopsy of the 4 tumours together after surgery upgraded them to grade 2, hypercellular (which I assume means bilaminal B) pure mucinous carcinoma, but the IHQ test hasn't been ran on this sample, and I've been told that it wont be because it was done on the first one. But as the tumour has "become" a little mote agressive through biopsies, should I push on this secondIHQ to be ran or it's not a big deal??
Sorry for my mistakes in case there are any, english is not my fist language.
I thank you so much for being there and I wish you well.
3/24/2018, IDC: Mucinous, Left, 3cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH)
4/26/2018 Mastectomy: Left