Join Us

We are 219,696 members in 84 forums discussing 161,626 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Mucinous Carcinoma of the breast

Forum: Less Common Types of Breast Cancer — Meet others with less common forms of breast cancer, such as Medullary carcinoma, Inflammatory breast cancers, Mucinous carcinoma (colloid carcinoma), Paget's disease, Papillary carcinoma, Phyllodes tumor, Tubular carcinomas, Metaplastic tumors, Adenoid cystic carcinomas and Angiosarcoma.

Posted on: Apr 23, 2009 07:43PM

peggym wrote:

On April 21st I had a core biopsy and today I was told that I have mucinous carcinoma of the breast.  When I investigated on this website, the information given was that this is a rare type of cancer, about 2-3% of all breast cancers and usually occurs in post-menopausal women over the age of 60.  I am neither.  I am 51 years old, but still menstruate.  I have an appointment with a surgeon, but feel as though I am in the state of shock.  This "nodule" was found on routine mammogram and I convinced myself that it was nothing.

This may sound odd at my age, but I just recently started to enjoy and like 'these babies'.  The thought of losing my breast scares me tremendously, and I have not even considered the thought of this cancer metastasizing.  I won't think of that!

Page 81 of 81 (2,417 results)

Posts 2401 - 2417 (2,417 total)

Jan 7, 2021 07:55PM voraciousreader wrote:

Hugtricianne!

Doctor told me regarding my prognosis that I WASN'T on the Titanic! Hmmm...Really?....Okay! 02/2010 Pure Mucinous Breast Cancer, Oncotype DX 15, Stage 1, Grade 1, 1.8 cm, 0/2 nodes, ER+ 90% /PR+ 70% HER2- (+1)

Jan 10, 2021 08:59PM Rain88 wrote:

Thank you, Tricianne. I too started on 20mg, but the SEs were so bad, I had to ask my MO to prescribe something to get some sleep and to ease the pins & needles in my limbs, among other things. He suggested to go on 10 mg instead. I am fine with this decision, since I clearly couldn't continue on a higher dose and changing to another med would have most likely brought its own set of SEs. There are quite a few others on 10 mg on the boards for hormonal therapy, but I would like to hear from somebody else with MC. (Plus, the only studies I could find about a lower dose of Tamoxifen were for DCIS.)

Regarding the pandemic, here, in Canada, Ontario, a week ago we went in lock down, with only essentials going and the school on virtual. I understand things are much better in Australia.

Thank you again and Happy 10 Years of NED!

Dx 7/2019, IDC: Mucinous, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy 11/27/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Lumpectomy: Right

Jan 16, 2021 12:54AM Mucinous wrote:

hello. Anyone here knows what my pathology says: Invasive Ductal Carcinoma with focal mucinous features. Is this mucinous breast carcinoma?

Jan 16, 2021 09:14AM voraciousreader wrote:

i sent you a private message per your request.

Doctor told me regarding my prognosis that I WASN'T on the Titanic! Hmmm...Really?....Okay! 02/2010 Pure Mucinous Breast Cancer, Oncotype DX 15, Stage 1, Grade 1, 1.8 cm, 0/2 nodes, ER+ 90% /PR+ 70% HER2- (+1)

Jan 16, 2021 10:38AM Rain88 wrote:

Mucinous, my biopsy report read "Invasive ductal carcinoma with mucinous features" and it was later corroborated by my path report "Invasive Mucinous Carcinoma". You will find A LOT of information on MC on this thread alone. (I recently went again over some studies posted here by Obsolete and Voracious.) I am sorry you had to join us. I wish you all the best with your treatment.

Dx 7/2019, IDC: Mucinous, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy 11/27/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Lumpectomy: Right

Jan 16, 2021 11:46AM - edited Jan 16, 2021 11:47AM by voraciousreader

rain...and for future readers who make it here.

There is NO standard on how pathologists describe mucinous bc. So, you will most often not see the words "pure" or "mixed" in the report.

That said, don't you think they should because that is the question most often asked by patients once they understand mucinous bc?

However, today, what is singularly more important is the er/pr HER2 status and whether or not nodes are affected. Also, genomic testing and menopausal status.

Jan 16, 2021 02:05PM Rain88 wrote:

Voracious, I couln't agree more! This was my very first question I asked my MO.(I knew that the distinction between pure and mixed ALWAYS came up in MC studies!) The doc's reply was that it was pure when no other type was mentioned and that even if it were mixed, it wouln' have changed the course of treatment in my case. I still wish they included Pure in the Dx, though. I am actually wondering if any of us, ladies with MC, have the word Pure or Mixed on their path report... I most certainly don't understand why they wouldn't "bother" to make the mention, since they are distinct enough types.

Jan 16, 2021 02:24PM - edited Jan 16, 2021 02:39PM by voraciousreader

rain...what i was told by the rare breast cancer researchers at MSK is....depending where and by whom pathologists are taught, will affect how they report their findings. One researcher told me that descriptions are all over the place. She told me that one particular group of pathologists could be identified by their "flowery" descriptions.

You would think there was just one standard that they could go by...

Furthermore, to make matters even worse....reports on Fridays contain more errors than earlier in the week AND specimens that are collected before the weekend, but are not read before Monday, may also be compromised.

One of the DH's doctors said...Monday morning is the best day to take specimens. Fewest chances of errors....Til today, I never do labs on Fridays....

Jan 16, 2021 02:28PM Rain88 wrote:

... and yes, you're absolutely right about the importance of HER2, status, node involvement, genomic tests and whether we are or not at menopause. Due to my nodal status and no overexpression of Her2, I felt confortable only with lumpectomy, rads and Tamoxifen. (I also have a theory that my tumor might have in part developped due to the HRT I did. I was lucky enough to be able to feel it and mention it during the mamography. Otherwise, with the density of my breasts they might've missed it. Well, now it's all water under the bridge.) Sending you my best! Heart

Jan 16, 2021 02:33PM Rain88 wrote:

Voracious, really?! I will most likelly avoid having tests done on Friday as well... Who would've thought?!

Jan 16, 2021 02:41PM voraciousreader wrote:

Rain..Heart

Jan 16, 2021 06:39PM Mucinous wrote:

thank you for your reply ladies. Rain88, my original core needle biopsy report says “mucinous BC” and my pathology after lumpectomy was “IDC with focal mucinous features “ I’m ERPR+, HER-, 2.1 cm lump, oncotype 22. Had chemo & radiation 21 sessions. I hope mine is pure. But I don’t know how to contact the pathologist who interpreted it since it’s been a year. The surgeon who did it told me its IDC & didn’t elaborate more. I just pray it will not metastasize.

Jan 16, 2021 07:05PM voraciousreader wrote:

Your specimen slides are being kept for many years. You can contact your MO and ask them. If they don't know, then ask them to contact the pathologist OR you can contact the pathologist directly and ask.

That said, you should do well. Mucinous is usually very, very treatable. Because you are young, you were aggressively treated.

As the years fly by, enjoy them! Don't let the cancer cause fear. Fear not! Carpe Diem.

Jan 16, 2021 08:51PM obsolete wrote:

Hello Mucinous, welcome to the MC thread. I'm sorry, but IDC with mucinous features is not the same as conventional IDC (which is 100% conventional cells).

If your Mucinous tumor presents with more than 10% conventional IDC cells, then many pathologists are trained to classify your pathology as "IDC with mucinous features". Please pin your doctor down :) Please advocate for yourselves. Please insist that your pathologist advise you of the percentage of conventional IDC cells, if mixed variant of MC.

For example, my MC was Mixed Mucinous and 2 pathologists described it as "IDC with mucinous features" because it was mixed with conventional IDC cells (15-20%). And here I am 7 years later feeling fine, and I was not treated aggressively.

You will do well, as your sisters already said, and I wish the same for everybody here in 2021. Hugs to all!

Jan 16, 2021 09:18PM voraciousreader wrote:

https://www.pathologyoutlines.com/topic/breastmali...

A pathology primer of mucinous bc

Jan 16, 2021 09:26PM Mucinous wrote:

Thank ypu

Jan 16, 2021 09:26PM - edited Jan 23, 2021 10:58PM by Mucinous

This Post was deleted by Mucinous.

Page 81 of 81 (2,417 results)