Topic: Mucinous Carcinoma of the breast

Forum: Less Common Types of Breast Cancer — Meet others with less common forms of breast cancer, such as Medullary carcinoma, Inflammatory breast cancers, Mucinous carcinoma (colloid carcinoma), Paget's disease, Papillary carcinoma, Phyllodes tumor, Tubular carcinomas, Metaplastic tumors, Adenoid cystic carcinomas and Angiosarcoma.

Posted on: Apr 23, 2009 04:43PM

Posted on: Apr 23, 2009 04:43PM

peggym wrote:

On April 21st I had a core biopsy and today I was told that I have mucinous carcinoma of the breast.  When I investigated on this website, the information given was that this is a rare type of cancer, about 2-3% of all breast cancers and usually occurs in post-menopausal women over the age of 60.  I am neither.  I am 51 years old, but still menstruate.  I have an appointment with a surgeon, but feel as though I am in the state of shock.  This "nodule" was found on routine mammogram and I convinced myself that it was nothing.

This may sound odd at my age, but I just recently started to enjoy and like 'these babies'.  The thought of losing my breast scares me tremendously, and I have not even considered the thought of this cancer metastasizing.  I won't think of that!

Page 81 of 254 (2,532 results)

Oct 7, 2012 07:49PM Skittle wrote:

First post ever--new to site, but one year in with mucinous BC.  Dx Sept. 7, '11 during a vacuum-assisted biopsy (If you're given that option--say no.  It was awful.)   Had radiofrequency ablation during partial mastectomy Fri, Sept. 16, and went back to teaching sixth graders the next Monday...  Am now on anastrozole daily...  and wonder about those who've been on a similar path.  Radiofrequency?  Reverse axillary mapping?  Haven't heard of others, and wonder how guinea pig it all is.  But--as I've said--am new to this site and surely have missed many in-depth conversations and dedicated research from those warriors who've tackled these battles prior...  Oncotype was 19.  Oncologist suggested no chemo, so had none, nor any radiation. 

Thanks for any shared experiences and what the future might hold persisting with anastrozole. 

Oct 7, 2012 08:13PM voraciousreader wrote:

Skittle... Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Glad you found us. Regarding radio frequency ablation and ARM, you know they are experimental. Seems you did well with both! Perhaps you might like to share more details as to why they were suggested. You mention your Oncotype score and that you are taking an AI. I am assuming you are post menopausal. The standard of care for ER+ rumored includes endocrine therapy. I can only speak for myself and say I have been doing well with Tamoxifen. There are numerous threads about endocrine therapy. You might also be interested in reading pages 93-98 in the 2012 NCCN (professional version) breast cancer treatment guidelines online. It gives a great review of the literature on endocrine therapy.

I wish you well!

Doctor told me regarding my prognosis that I WASN'T on the Titanic! Hmmm...Really?....Okay! 02/2010 Pure Mucinous Breast Cancer, Oncotype DX 15, Stage 1, Grade 1, 1.8 cm, 0/2 nodes, ER+ 90% /PR+ 70% HER2- (+1)

Oct 8, 2012 07:57PM Skittle wrote:

voraciousreader--wow, you are wonderfully well-informed.  I must plead ignorance--not even knowing what NCCN is.  (National Cancer ??)  As for my personal journey...  When the mass was discovered during my first mammogram ever, I knew before the biopsy it would be malignant.  Four years ago I had become primary care before losing my mother--in agony with bone mets after bc recur... I had been down the path with her--diagnosis, opinions, surgeons, chemo, rads, etc. so knew a little of who was who in our area.  I requested and was able to see  her surgeon, for whom I have the utmost regard and respect.  (My younger daughter had done research in her lab and had only praise for entire staff/cutting-edge research...)  When dr determined mucinous/size/etc., she spelled out my options.  I literally asked her the cliche what would you do--and she said the rfa and arm... so I did.  She chose my oncologist (not my mother's) and I have been doing as told ever since.  He is the one who chose anastrozole, not tamoxifen (which is what my mother took.)  I am also on major calcium, D3 and magnesium supplements due to leaching of calcium from the ai.  I pray that I am being guided correctly by them both.  It's of course not a rerun I'd like to see...  I wish you well with your experiences, and appreciate your wisdom and info.

Oct 8, 2012 08:18PM voraciousreader wrote:

NCCN ... National Comprehensive Cancer Network. It is an alliance of the world's leading cancer centers. Each year they update the cancer treatment guidelines based on the best available evidence. The Standard of Care is based on their guidelines. It is a great resource and serves as a good starting point when one is diagnosed.

Skittle... I am sorry to hear about your beloved mother. As you probably know, cancers vary and as you probably know, you have great prognostics and should do well. I wish you well.

Doctor told me regarding my prognosis that I WASN'T on the Titanic! Hmmm...Really?....Okay! 02/2010 Pure Mucinous Breast Cancer, Oncotype DX 15, Stage 1, Grade 1, 1.8 cm, 0/2 nodes, ER+ 90% /PR+ 70% HER2- (+1)

Oct 10, 2012 03:44PM Skittle wrote:

Sweet VR, thank you.  And thank you for your directing to the NCCN.  Will be doing some research this weekend when time allows.  Appreciate your input. 

Oct 10, 2012 05:10PM Onlyoneleft wrote:

I recently had a modified, radical mastectomy of my left breast after a diagnosis of mucinous carcinoma. Unfortunately the location of the tumor required removal of the breast. Am five days post op and am covered with blisters under my steri strips which itch constantly. Presently awaiting final pathology report and decision on further treatment. Was so glad to find this site that had more information on this type of cancer than any other.

Oct 10, 2012 05:20PM voraciousreader wrote:

Onlyoneleft.. Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Regarding the blisters, have you spoken to your breast surgeon's staff? I'm wondering if you are having a reaction to the steri-strips?

I'm glad you have found this thread relevant. Please keep us posted on your progress. We are here to learn from one another... Thoughts and prayers to you!

Oct 11, 2012 09:55AM Onlyoneleft wrote:

The surgeon noted the blisters when removing my drain and bandage but did not seem concerned. So far, dealing with the blisters has been the worst part of my recovery. Had the same reaction when they did my biopsy but thought it was the tape they put over the steri strip. Now I realize it was the steri strip not the tape. Just hoping they fall off SOON!!!!!!!

Oct 16, 2012 12:26PM stayinhappy wrote:

I had a segmental mastectomy last Thursday.  Needing help from some of you more informed sisters about the path report.  Excerpts below. Due to the fact that the lumpectomy was done after 4 rounds of chemo (T/C) and while on Tamoxifen since May, I am inclined to have both breasts removed. Would love insight and information from some of you as I make this very difficult decision.  I note that the positive 1.2mm micrometastasis in the node is ductal carcinoma, not mucinous.  That is a larger factor in me making this decision.  Many thanks!!

Micinous carcinoma - the tumor described grossly is residual mucinous carcinoma

Nodes: 1.2 mm micrometastasis in the sentinel node (1 of 6 nodes tested) - It is metastatic ductal carcinoma

DCIS .5 mm from the inked medical margin - several foci present; solid type, low-grade.

Tall columnar cell atypia

From section "Microscopic" - In the "left segmental mastectomy", the tumor described grossly is residual mucinous carcinoma. Centrally, aggregates of mucin are mostly devoid of neoplastic cells. Viable tumor cells are mostly around the periphery of this mass. The tumor cells form small and slightly larger cohesive groups with some tubule formation. A small focus of adjacent ductal carcinoma is present adjacent to a suture, indicating the true deep
margin. Stromal fibrosis and scattered foci of columnar atypia are appreciated, which focally involves papilloma. Columnar atypia is 0.5 mm from the inked medial margin. Also appreciated are foci of ductal carcinoma in-situ,
mostly solid type, low grade. DCIS is also 0.5 mm from the inked medial margin. Retraction artifact is present. Definitive lymphovascular invasion is not appreciated. In the "sentinel node #1 and #2", two lymph nodes are
identified microscopically. One of these contains a 1.2 mm maximum diameter metastatic ductal carcinoma. Mucinous features are not identified. This focus is verified by immunoperoxidase stain for pankeratin. The other node is negative for metastatic carcinoma and cytokeratin stain is negative. Three "sentinel node #3 and #4" are examined microscopically and no metastatic carcinoma is identified.  Levels and immunoperoxidase stains for cytokeratin are negative. Sections of the "nonsentinel node" show one lymph node with no metastatic carcinoma
identified. 

Mucinous Carcinoma 3.5 cm and DCIS (scattered areas), 100% ER, 98% PR, Her2 2+ (Neutral/Equivocal), OnctoypeDX 20, 43 years old, premenopausal Dx 5/2/2012, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 1/8 nodes, ER+/PR+ Chemotherapy 7/17/2012 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 11/8/2012 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right

Oct 16, 2012 12:48PM voraciousreader wrote:

Stayin happy. Regarding Mastectomy or BMX, it is a very personal decision. For some women the decision is made for them because only a mastectomy would "work." While for others, the decision is a difficult one because they can have a lumpectomy or a mastectomy. Considering that mortality rates are similar for both, it really comes down to what kind of future surveillance you are comfortable with. Regarding BMX, that procedure is IMHO an even more difficult decision. Again, for BRCA + sisters and those who would get a better aesthetic, the decision is easier.

There are other threads at bco.org that are devoted to the topic, perhaps you might like to read them and pose your query there.

I wish you well!

Page 81 of 254 (2,532 results)

Scroll to top button