Topic: Mucinous Carcinoma of the breast

Forum: Less Common Types of Breast Cancer — Meet others with less common forms of breast cancer, such as Medullary carcinoma, Inflammatory breast cancers, Mucinous carcinoma (colloid carcinoma), Paget's disease, Papillary carcinoma, Phyllodes tumor, Tubular carcinomas, Metaplastic tumors, Adenoid cystic carcinomas and Angiosarcoma.

Posted on: Apr 23, 2009 07:43PM

Posted on: Apr 23, 2009 07:43PM

peggym wrote:

On April 21st I had a core biopsy and today I was told that I have mucinous carcinoma of the breast.  When I investigated on this website, the information given was that this is a rare type of cancer, about 2-3% of all breast cancers and usually occurs in post-menopausal women over the age of 60.  I am neither.  I am 51 years old, but still menstruate.  I have an appointment with a surgeon, but feel as though I am in the state of shock.  This "nodule" was found on routine mammogram and I convinced myself that it was nothing.

This may sound odd at my age, but I just recently started to enjoy and like 'these babies'.  The thought of losing my breast scares me tremendously, and I have not even considered the thought of this cancer metastasizing.  I won't think of that!

Page 82 of 254 (2,532 results)

Oct 19, 2012 09:53PM FeelingtheMagic wrote:

Cider, Skittle, Onlyoneleft, StayinHappy... Sorry to hear of your diagnoses. Glad you have found this thread.. where we all learn so much from each other, and especially from Voraciousreader. VR, I actually yelped "YES!" out loud when I read you will have the opportunity to meet with Britta Weigelt and Jorge Reis-Filho, because I know how valuable that is.. for all of us!  Thank you again, VR.

Rarities... certainly something I'm noticing in this whole realm of cancers. My diagnosis of mucinous with HER2+ just makes our already 'rare' a little more rare.  StayinHappy, I noted in your diagnosis in your signature that you are also HER2+?  Perhaps we can keep in touch, as you are the first I've found with mucinous and her2, and sharing our treatment recommendations can keep us both informed. Also in the rare, my daughter was diagnosed with also a .1% rare form of ovarian cancer 2. 5 years ago. (Doing fabulous and 29 weeks pregnant!!!!)  And just recently, my other daughter's mother-in-law (and good friend of mine) diagnosed with what initially seemed a small IDC.. turned out to be a 'continuous leaking' small IDC that has metasized in kidney and bones .. apparently the 'leaky' nature of it, also rare.

Point of story: Yes, it is bizarre there being so much rare going on, but I've learned this: Self advocacy and the ability to research are so key in all of these journeys. What I've learned here, or linked from here to learn, have been key in decisions made about my treatments. 

And an update: Had my last chemo last week, (chemo was a result of having HER2+ and started last June) currently in the 'wow, am I tired' stage.. and by end of next week, I get to be on the uphill ... getting energy back, hair back, brain back, and get active again. Hurray!!    I do continue for another 11 treatments (every 3 weeks) of herceptin, and next week, apparently the onc wants to talk about what and whens of starting hormonal treatments.  Which has me back doing research again so I'll be prepared with all the questions, and ha.. likely research!... when I see him.

Blessings to all of  you!

DCIS and Pure mucinous and Her2+ WTF? (oops did I say that?) Dx 3/2/2012, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+, Surgery 4/4/2012 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 5/2/2012 Mastectomy: Left Targeted Therapy 6/25/2012 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 6/25/2012 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 12/3/2012 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 3/5/2013 Reconstruction (left) Hormonal Therapy 10/5/2014 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 1/8/2015 Aromasin (exemestane)

Oct 20, 2012 10:35PM Skittle wrote:

Feeling--Congratulations on your fantastic milestone!  Onward and upward--good for you!  And congratulations on grandmotherhood-to-be!  Happy news is healing!  As for rare, I've looked for a "sister-in-this" who has also had the axillary reverse mapping and the radiofrequency ablation for pure mucinous... and have yet to find a soul.  But, it's a big world of bc and not everyone posts... so maybe eventually.

Again, happy for you!  Wishing you energy each day.

Oct 22, 2012 05:04PM Ginia wrote:

Just another not so quick update (alot has happened).

Finally got to see surgeon on 26/09/12. Decided on a Lumpectomy of the right breast on the 04/10/12. After a horrible night in hospital I was released 05/10/12 with drain intact. After surgery left breast DD and right breast a C cup. Not a problem I figure with padding this will look ok. 

Then the trouble started. Had a drama with the drain on the Sunday 7/10/12 and local hospital in consultation with the base hospital decided to remove the drain (it was half out anyway) and to be reviewed at base hospital on wednesday.

Wednesday 10/10/12. Went to that appointment, some swelling very painful but all looks ok, pathology results not back yet. Referral for radiology. Right breast with swelling back to DD cup. 

Thursday 11/10/12 swelling and pain increases, whole breast red and hot. I go to GP who tells me that after surgery you have to expect some swelling. Radiology appointment set for 22/10/12.

Not wanting to look like a winger I put up with the pain and swelling till 1.15am Sunday 14/10/12 when i go to the local hospital. Right breast now twice the size of the other one. Doctor uses scan and decides I have Senoma in the cavity left after the tumor was removed. Dr uses needle and drains 60 mls, then another 60mls, gives me antibotics script and sends me on my way. Pressure is relieved but it's Sunday no chemist open to get antibotics.

Monday 15/10/12 had enough and daughter drives me 250km to the base hospital. They use scan and drain 210mls from the breast. Put me in hospital on IV antibotics.

Tuesday 16/10/12 receive a call on my mobile from local hospital. The 120mls drained on sunday was sent to pathology and has grown a golden staff infection. I tell them I'm in the base hospital. They advise the base hospital. Panic ensues. I'm in surgical ward with 5 other patients.

Wednesday 17/10/12 still in hospital and enduring constant blood tests and small 60mls drainage for testing to find the right antibotic. Appointment to attend outpatients breast clinic to get pathology results cancelled. Apparently don't want an incubus of infection there.

Thursday 18/10/12 changes to antibotic. Hospital cancels Radiology appointment.

Friday 19/10/12 swelling up again and decision to scan again and drain the right breast. Another 270mls drained.

Monday 22/10/12 sent home from hospital with industrial strength antibotics and 3.5kgs lighter (not a bad thing).

Currently, swelling is continueing, right breast is very red and inflamed. Industrial strength antibotics make me sick. Breast cancer treatments all on hold until infection is under control.

Mine BC doesn't feel like a journey, more like the amazing race with the universe giving me U-turns. Appoligies for the spelling and grammer I have an infection (my excuse used to be I have Breast Cancer).

Oct 22, 2012 05:07PM Ginia wrote:

Sorry forgot to mention that it isn't fluid it's yellow/green pus that they are draining.

Oct 22, 2012 06:11PM cider8 wrote:

I'm so very sorry to hear about the seroma and infection. It's adding way too much insult to an already crappy injury.

~Paula~ [R] Pure Mucinous, DCIS, & IDC. BMX w/DIEP in NOLA 5/11; 12/11; 9/12. DD AC/T end 9/11. Tamox. 2mm IDC found 9/12 = 33 rads end 01/13, Oncotype 34. [L] IBC = TCx6 end 7/13, MX (remove flap), 44 rads (2x/day) end 10/13. Zoladex & Arimidex. Dx 2/25/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/21 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Dx 4/5/2013, IBC, Stage IIIB, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 8/22/2013, IBC, Stage IIIC, Grade 3, 10/28 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 22, 2012 06:18PM voraciousreader wrote:

Ginia.... I am so very sorry to hear about your painful recovery! I doubt it will help make you feel better sooner when I say I had a very frightful healing experience from another surgery that I once had. Many years ago I developed a serious staph infection from abdominal surgery. It ultimately had to be healed from the inside out--- slowly. It was a protracted and painful recovery that left my stomach deformed. Years later, when my young daughter asked me why I had TWO belly buttons, I finally agreed to plastic surgery to fix it. Just reading your story I am reminded of how frustrating and painful the experience was for me. I can only extend my thoughts and prayers to you that the rest of your recovery will happen more quickly and with less pain. Without a doubt, a serious infection is the last thing we all need to be thinking about. I wish for you brighter days ahead.

Doctor told me regarding my prognosis that I WASN'T on the Titanic! Hmmm...Really?....Okay! 02/2010 Pure Mucinous Breast Cancer, Oncotype DX 15, Stage 1, Grade 1, 1.8 cm, 0/2 nodes, ER+ 90% /PR+ 70% HER2- (+1)

Oct 23, 2012 04:41PM FeelingtheMagic wrote:

Hi Ginia, I've been watching for a post from you... wondering how you were doing. Sorry to hear you have an infection thrown into the mix. I had a seroma, without infection, and that alone was painful, so am really feeling for you. Giggled at this comment: Appoligies for the spelling and grammer I have an infection (my excuse used to be I have Breast Cancer).

My daughter had said to me early in this process, "Don't hesitate to 'pull the cancer card'.. it's a good one when there's something you don't want to do, or when you make a mistake, etc."  She was 'shy' about doing that, but since decided we deserve to be able to use 'the cancer card' any way we like.  ~smile~

Wishing you speedy healing and happy moments!

DCIS and Pure mucinous and Her2+ WTF? (oops did I say that?) Dx 3/2/2012, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+, Surgery 4/4/2012 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 5/2/2012 Mastectomy: Left Targeted Therapy 6/25/2012 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 6/25/2012 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 12/3/2012 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 3/5/2013 Reconstruction (left) Hormonal Therapy 10/5/2014 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 1/8/2015 Aromasin (exemestane)

Oct 23, 2012 10:06PM Ginia wrote:

Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts.

Typing the post the other day put a smile on my face. I know I have a sick sense of humour but I enjoyed sharing my pain with others. Currently still swollen, red and angry but i"m no Wimp and will endure untill my next appointment on the 7th November. Can't wait.

Love to all

Oct 24, 2012 12:26AM - edited Oct 24, 2012 12:28AM by tricianneAust

Well Ginia you can certainly describe the events from 4/10/12 to 22/10/12 graphically. If its any consolation I surely felt the pain you were experiencing in just reading your account. Oh dear what a yukky experience Golden Staph is so nasty and a Dr who gives you a script for antibiotics on a Sunday when no-one was open to dispense it needs to think through their procedures. It wouldn't have speeded up your recovery waiting another day. Sorry that you had such a bad time. Of course all Appoligies will be accepted for spelling etc. Hopefully you will get a decent time of healing prior to radiation. Your skin needs to be in good shape before you tackle that stage of your treatment.

To all other readers sorry I am in a rush but even then I get quiet moments to keep up the prayers. Blessings joy and courage from Tricianne.

TricianneAust Diagnosis: 10/20/2010, DCIS Pure Mucinous Cancer , 2cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+75% /PR+ 75%, HER2-. Lumpectomy,Tamoxifen,25 x radiation, Vit D deficiency being treated. Feeling fantastically normal & healthy. Nov 2011Mammogram all fine.Next mammogram due Nov 2012
TricianneAust Dx: 10/20/2010 , DCIS Pure Mucinous Cancer , 2cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+75% /PR+ 75%, HER2-. Lumpectomy,Tamoxifen,25 x radiation, Vit D deficiency being treated. Dec 2021 Mgram 11yrs ok.

Oct 26, 2012 01:29AM - edited Oct 26, 2012 01:32AM by TaunTaun8

I haven't updated my situation in a while, so I thought I would chime in. I had a mastectomy (left) on Sept. 6th along with a sentinel node biopsy. I recovered very well from that without a lot of pain. The sentinel nodes showed micrometastasis, so I had to go back on October 5th for an axillary node dissection. Out of the 23 nodes removed, 3 had cancer cells. I was not prepared for how much more pain and discomfort I experienced with the node dissection as opposed to the mastectomy. I am still experiencing pain from that, mostly in the underside of my arm, but also at the incision site. It is getting better, but it's been a slow process. I saw my oncologist on Monday, and wasn't really surprised by her recommendations... 

I will be starting chemo around the first or second week of November. I have to have a PET scan, MUGA scan, and a port put in first. The chemo will be AC, which will be once every 3 weeks for 12 weeks. Then, I will have radiation therapy, hormonal therapy (Tamoxifen), and, finally, a bolus of chemo once a week for 12 weeks. I had some blood work done the other day, which included the Brca test, though I don't expect to be positive for that.

It's going to be a long several months, but I'm trying to prepare myself mentally, emotionally, and physically as much as I can. I have long hair, which I plan on getting cut short, since I read that people who have AC generally lose their hair. I'm doing a lot of reading of books, articles, and tips from people who've gone through it and come out the other side.

My 5 year old daughter drew me a picture the other day, and had my mom spell out the words that she wanted to write on the page. She had meant to write "I love you, Mom. I hope you survive." What my mom heard her say, and consequently spelled for her was "I love you, Mom. I'll help you survive." Out of the mouths of babes.... Little does she know, she is one of my reasons for surviving!! I'm putting that picture in my "cancer" binder. I've received so much love and support from family and friends, and I'm so grateful for that.

Page 82 of 254 (2,532 results)

Scroll to top button