Topic: Mucinous Carcinoma of the breast

Forum: Less Common Types of Breast Cancer — Meet others with less common forms of breast cancer, such as Medullary carcinoma, Inflammatory breast cancers, Mucinous carcinoma (colloid carcinoma), Paget's disease, Papillary carcinoma, Phyllodes tumor, Tubular carcinomas, Metaplastic tumors, Adenoid cystic carcinomas and Angiosarcoma.

Posted on: Apr 23, 2009 04:43PM

Posted on: Apr 23, 2009 04:43PM

peggym wrote:

On April 21st I had a core biopsy and today I was told that I have mucinous carcinoma of the breast.  When I investigated on this website, the information given was that this is a rare type of cancer, about 2-3% of all breast cancers and usually occurs in post-menopausal women over the age of 60.  I am neither.  I am 51 years old, but still menstruate.  I have an appointment with a surgeon, but feel as though I am in the state of shock.  This "nodule" was found on routine mammogram and I convinced myself that it was nothing.

This may sound odd at my age, but I just recently started to enjoy and like 'these babies'.  The thought of losing my breast scares me tremendously, and I have not even considered the thought of this cancer metastasizing.  I won't think of that!

Page 84 of 254 (2,532 results)

Nov 8, 2012 09:09PM TaunTaun8 wrote:

Thank you, Voraciousreader!

Nov 10, 2012 04:10AM - edited Nov 10, 2012 04:11AM by tricianneAust

Hi TaunTaun8, Special healthy prayers for a Happy Birthday on Saturday may you feel well enough to enjoy it and may the year ahead see improved health for you. Lots of blessings from Australia where it is 10.40pm on Saturday. tricianne

TricianneAust Dx: 10/20/2010 , DCIS Pure Mucinous Cancer , 2cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+75% /PR+ 75%, HER2-. Lumpectomy,Tamoxifen,25 x radiation, Vit D deficiency being treated. Dec 2021 Mgram 11yrs ok.

Nov 13, 2012 04:04PM Andrea84 wrote:

Hi. My name is Andrea. It's been interesting to read this board. On October 24 I was diagnosed with mucinous cancer. I haven't had anything planned an I feel as if my doctors are moving slowly. They can't stage me because they don't know how much of my tumor is cancer. I have a 2.6 cm tumor but they think only 2mm of my tumor is cancer. I've had CT scan, bone scan, mammogram, and MRI. Today they biopsied the other breast and the other nodules on my diagnosed breast. I just turned 28 about a month ago. I was wanting to do a mastectomy because this experience has been draining emotionally and physically. Any thoughts on a mastectomy vs and lumpectomy?

Dx 10/24/2012, DCIS, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/2/2012 Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right Chemotherapy 1/6/2013 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Nov 13, 2012 05:21PM voraciousreader wrote:

Andrea... It really pains me to see someone as young as you are joining us. This thread is devoted to mucinous breast cancer. There are some other wonderful threads here at bc.org that discuss the advantages and disadvantages of lumpectomy and mastectomy. Why not chime in on those threads. In my situation the breast surgeon told me he thought he could get good clean margins and a good cosmetic result via lumpectomy, so I never considered mastectomy. Some women will choose mastectomy because lumpectomy simply isn't an option. Some do not or cannot undergo radiation which is usually recommended with lumpectomy, so they have mastectomies. Some women do not want to undergo breast imaging on a regular basis, so they prefer mastectomy. The reasons are many why one woman chooses one procedure over the other when given the choice.

I know now is a very stressful time. My best advise is to consider your options carefully. I wish you well!

Doctor told me regarding my prognosis that I WASN'T on the Titanic! Hmmm...Really?....Okay! 02/2010 Pure Mucinous Breast Cancer, Oncotype DX 15, Stage 1, Grade 1, 1.8 cm, 0/2 nodes, ER+ 90% /PR+ 70% HER2- (+1)

Nov 13, 2012 05:45PM Skittle wrote:

Sweet Andrea...  If you can, ask your dr about Oncotypedx testing.  It's a grief saver since it takes the guesswork out of treatment options (to me.)  Visit their website if you want more info, but basically a piece of tumor is analyzed for the numeric prospect of cancer returning.  If your oncotype is low, (personally only) I'd opt for lumpectomy.  If high, you might want to consider all options.  You are so very young to be "among us" and hugs go out to you.  When my dr gave the number breakdown, it helped remove the gut-level, heart-wrenching what-ifs.  Somehow the science behind it gave me more peace of mind, that decisions were made with not only my future in mind, but my options.   PM me if you have any questions I can help with ever, ever.  Again, hugs to you.

Nov 13, 2012 06:25PM Andrea84 wrote:

Thank you. Reading this board has helped with my knowledge of my diagnosis. Are there any questions that I should be sure to ask? I will ask about the oncotype. I just want to be sure that I'm fully informed because I have another appointment on Thursday with my surgeon. I don't think there are any more tests try could possibly go through so I'm hoping that ill get some treatment options by Thursday.

Dx 10/24/2012, DCIS, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/2/2012 Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right Chemotherapy 1/6/2013 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Nov 13, 2012 06:47PM Skittle wrote:

Ask all your options.  Ask about your specific tumor position--some are positioned more favorably for lumpectomy, allowing clear margins.  Some are closer to the skin surface and are trickier cosmetically and surgically.  Ask if you opt for mastectomy, if reconstruction is during the same surgery.  (My surgeon does both at same time.)  Ask about support available in your area.   Talking to a young woman who has been there/done that in your area, in your hospital, might be invaluable.  Ask about recovery periods expected, and follow-up procedures expected.  (Yes, each of us is unique, but your surgeon can guide you in what-ifs.) 

The question that seems to get an honest answer--if I were your daughter, what would you tell her?   (Much of what you might be told, will be it's a/b/c.  You decide based on your lifestyle, your physical tolerances and expectations, your wishes.)

Please try not to worry about time and rush.  Mucinous is the "best" bc to have, truly.  It is known to have better prognosis and some research suggests it is slowest to grow and less likely to spread.  (I had rfa, radio frequency ablation...  which is not always an option.) 

Best of luck to you.  This is a great site to explore and find resources through the veterans.  (My diagnosis was 14 months ago.)  Again, hugs to you.

Nov 13, 2012 06:47PM voraciousreader wrote:

Andrea.. Mortality rates are similar for lumpectomy and mastectomy. Oncotype DX test is indicated for ER + tumors and will help in determining whether or not you can benefit from chemo. It won't be helpful in making the surgical decision.

Doctor told me regarding my prognosis that I WASN'T on the Titanic! Hmmm...Really?....Okay! 02/2010 Pure Mucinous Breast Cancer, Oncotype DX 15, Stage 1, Grade 1, 1.8 cm, 0/2 nodes, ER+ 90% /PR+ 70% HER2- (+1)

Nov 13, 2012 07:21PM saraaust wrote:

Hi Andrea, I am so sorry you are having to deal with this at such a young age. This is a very confusing and scary time when you are uncertain as to what the best path is and you haven't had surgery to confirm the size and full details of the tumor but just remember as most others have mentioned on these boards before, a mastectomy can always be preformed after if need be but once it's done it is final. Speak to your team, that is your GP, Breast Surgeon and Oncologist. If you are not happy with their response always feel free to get another opinion. It does seem like the best way to deal with it is to remove the breast but studies have shown that mortality rates are no different after mastectomy as opposed to a lumpectomy with radiation. Listen to what your doctors recommend and if you are still uncertain then I suggest you get another opinion. I have to admit I have been dealing with this for over 2 years and because of the uncertainty concerning my particular situation I did have a mastectomy on my left side and consquently radiation as there were cells close to the chest wall and then a prophylactic mastectomy on my cancer free side. I had papillary lesions removed on my right side the following year after diagnosis so I just didn't want to continue having mammograms and surgery. I do not regret my decision what so ever but I am 46 and for me this was the best thing that I could have done. Mucinous Carcinomas are said to be less life threatening and if in fact it is as small as they think then it should be a more positive outlook than you think. I know how hard it is to deal with all of this but I really think that if your surgeon is happy with a lumpectomy then I suggest that is the way to go. If after the surgery they find that the situation is different, for instance, if they don't believe that they have enough of a margin around the tumor, then you can always have a mastectomy later if you don't feel confident to have more surgery to just get clean margins. If you are the type to need to research as I was, then it's important to know what you are dealing with before undergoing a mastectomy as this in itself can and does have it's own complications. Speak to as many people as possible that are professionals including a psychologist if need be, before making your decision, as you do have time to sort this all out. Good luck with your decision and I hope you have a great support group around you like family and friends that you can also talk to and hopefully, along with your doctors, they will help you get through this as it does get easier once the decisions are made and the surgery is over with. Please keep in touch and ask as many questions as you like as everyone is here to help. Take care...(((hugs)))  

SaraAust Dx 5/6/2011, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Nov 13, 2012 07:28PM Golden01 wrote:

So sorry to learn of your cancer. You will find great information here. One thing that really helped me was the advice that "Red Sunshine" posted about a year ago on this thread. She is a pathologist and recommended that anyone with the diagnosis of mucinous carcinoma seek a second opinion on their pathology slides. I did that and learned my first pathology report was incomplete (not "pure mucinous" as I'd been told but "mixed cellular variant"). I don't think it would  have made a difference in the treatment that I chose but I wish I'd had the information sooner. Good luck to you.

Mucinous Carcinoma, Hypercellular Variant; Oncotype DX 27, Dx 7/8/2011, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 7/19/2014 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Page 84 of 254 (2,532 results)

Scroll to top button