We are 218,616 members in 81 forums discussing 154,833 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: tubular carcinoma

Forum: Less Common Types of Breast Cancer — Meet others with less common forms of breast cancer, such as Medullary carcinoma, Inflammatory breast cancers, Mucinous carcinoma (colloid carcinoma), Paget's disease, Papillary carcinoma, Phyllodes tumor, Tubular carcinomas, Metaplastic tumors, Adenoid cystic carcinomas and Angiosarcoma.

Posted on: Aug 28, 2010 04:15AM

aner18 wrote:

Anyone out there also diagnosed with tubular carcinoma?  I know it is a rare kind, rarely spreads, is highly estrogen positive and has a good prognosis.  If you have tubular carcinoma, I am wondering about your treatment.  I had lumpectomy, radiation, and tamoxifen.  I am curious to know if all of this treatment is necessary for this kind of breast cancer- tubular, stage 1, grade 1, 0 lymph nodes.

Thanks, I look forward to learning more about tubular carcinoma related to treatment plan. 

Dx 12/7/2006, <1cm, Stage IB, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 13 of 13 (380 results)

Posts 361 - 380 (380 total)

Feb 1, 2019 07:42AM applejuice wrote:

I fell good, pretty much all normal on my side.

I cant wait to get over it in a way, and hope that life will go back to normal, but on the other way i am a bit anxious to see the pathology of the tissue and make sure there is nothing else hiding out of sight!

I am reading as much as i can and i understand that each and every case is different. As you know, the more we learn the more questions we have and the more we expose our mind to think of the possibilities out there. My ER+ PR+ are very high > 99 and I am not sure how that will affect the future for me. For now, i choose just to inform myself and take one step at a time. Once this step is completed will discuss next steps with the MO and decide what's best.

How is the hormonal therapy going on for you?

Diagnosed at 48 on routine annual mammo, non‐palpable lesion, 1.3 cm tumor (Grade 1, Luminal A). 98% ER+, 95% PR+, Her2-, Ki67 5%. Oncotype: 12. Dx 11/30/2018, DCIS/IDC: Tubular, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 1/23/2019 Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 2/1/2019 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement

Feb 2, 2019 11:51PM grainne wrote:

You sound as if you have your head in a good place...everything you say is eminently sensible. You are right in thinking life will get back to normal, sooner than you think. The diagnosis can sometimes prompt some of us to take decisions that we would otherwise have kept putting off which actually mean life is better...that was true in my case. The worst thing is the anxiety about recurrence but that lessens as time passes. I totally understand about waiting for the pathology report..my phone sat on my desk like a hand grenade when I was waiting for my results.

I tried to take aromatose inhibitors but couldn't..I had horrible night seats, joint pain and, worst of all, depression. I switched to tamoxifen which i have been on for 2 1/2 years with minimal side effects.

I highly recommend exercise. It helps with side effects, reduces recurrence and really improves mood. It doesn't have to be drastic...brisk walking is grand.

Is your operation over now? I hope everything went well. Let us know how you are. X

grainne Dx 2/1/2016, DCIS/IDC: Tubular, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 4/15/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole), Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Feb 3, 2019 04:40PM applejuice wrote:

Surgery went well and i am back home.I hope the recovery will be easy and boring, not terrible pain right now but i understand that might change. I plan to enjoy all the itme off and binge watch netflix for a few days.

Diagnosed at 48 on routine annual mammo, non‐palpable lesion, 1.3 cm tumor (Grade 1, Luminal A). 98% ER+, 95% PR+, Her2-, Ki67 5%. Oncotype: 12. Dx 11/30/2018, DCIS/IDC: Tubular, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 1/23/2019 Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 2/1/2019 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement

Feb 4, 2019 09:04PM grainne wrote:

That's good to hear. I hope all is still good and you are sleeping well. Can I recommend " Killing Eve" box set if you can get it in the US?

Keep in touch. Wishing you all the best.

grainne Dx 2/1/2016, DCIS/IDC: Tubular, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 4/15/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole), Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Feb 6, 2019 06:28AM - edited Feb 6, 2019 04:35PM by Benaya

Hello Applejuice,

Hope you're recovering well!. Just wanted to mention that if I'm correct, I don't think that the fact that your ER+ & PR+ numbers are high is a negative--just tells you that tumor is receptive to hormones, which is usually a plus because it may be easier to treat with hormone blocking drugs.

Dx 11/22/2017, IDC: Tubular, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 4/3/2018 Lumpectomy: Left

Feb 9, 2019 07:11AM - edited Feb 10, 2019 10:40PM by applejuice

This Post was deleted by applejuice.

Feb 9, 2019 12:08PM isee wrote:

I just want to point out that the article was written in 1981...so it is around 38 years old. I believe this article is more in line with what is recommended currently.

https://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/types/tubula...

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger! Invasive Tubular Carcinoma - BRCA2+ Dx 2/9/2011, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 9, 2019 01:37PM - edited Feb 9, 2019 01:37PM by isee

This Post was deleted by isee.
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger! Invasive Tubular Carcinoma - BRCA2+ Dx 2/9/2011, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 10, 2019 10:40PM applejuice wrote:

sorry i overlooked the date it was published, removing the post.

Feb 11, 2019 05:44AM grainne wrote:

I'm atrocious at links but from time to time I google "pubmed" and search "tubular breast cancer 2019" (or 2018). I never read anything over about 10 years old. Are you a stats person? I am. The articles are all very reassuring. Have you got your pathology results back? How are you feeling now?

Feb 22, 2019 04:06AM - edited Feb 22, 2019 04:11AM by Benaya

Applejuice,

FYI, Look at my post dated 4/29/18, for the latest research up to that date.

Dx 11/22/2017, IDC: Tubular, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 4/3/2018 Lumpectomy: Left

Feb 22, 2019 05:26AM - edited Feb 22, 2019 05:27AM by applejuice

grainne,

I got the pathology back and I was a little bummed. While the margins were clear and there were no other major issues, the type is no longer clear to me! The pathology for the breast tissue after surgery was done by an UCLA Lab and they say: "Multifocal invasive ductal carcinoma with tubular features, grade1". Then, in the synoptic checklist, where it should specify the histologic type, it says "Invasive carcinoma of no special type - ductal, not otherwise specified".

The former Lab which did the biopsy, at another hospital, stated: "Infiltrating well-differentiated duct carcinoma - Pure tubular carcinoma".

I asked the oncologist at UCLA about more detail on the type and she said they go by the breast tissue pathology result and they do not inquire the lab for more details. She is not seeing the tumor as TC :(

So I feel there is something a miss as the UCLA report says "tubular features" but does not detail on what that means. I don't have a way to contact the pathology lab directly and request more details and the oncologist says no need more details on the type!

I am a bit frustrated because I feel the type TC would be giving a better hand at cancer versus just IDC but i dont know if there is any different way to proceed on this. Maybe it's just me not understanding the types properly?

Benaya,

Thank you, I already went thru all the links you posted to studies related to TC and i much appreciate your effort to provide so much content! The study I initially pointed to was showing a comparison of outcomes based on the percentage of tubular features. I think it was relevant, the data was compiling info of 100 patients with TC, but it was done in 1981, so I prefered to remove it since there was an objection to it.

Feb 22, 2019 09:38AM Benaya wrote:

Hi applejuice,

Was reading your post to grainne, & thought I'd comment. I can understand your frustration with the pathology reports & tubular versus IDC, but as you probably know, Tubular is a form of IDC. Although tubular has a somewhat more positive prognosis, non-tubular IDC, Stage 1, Grade 1, also has an excellent prognosis. I had also commented previously on some concerns you had about your ER+, etc. values, which are good! I'm not a doctor and understand your worry but to me, given your pathology, treatment, etc., your prognosis looks great!!!I

Feb 22, 2019 12:07PM - edited Feb 22, 2019 02:02PM by applejuice

Hi Benaya

Thank you again for all the encouragement! Yes, you are correct the overall prognosis looks good and TC is IDC, high Er Pr numbers mean the tumor cells are receptive to hormonal therapies, however my frustration over the details is there. It might be my OCD or the fact that right now i am thinking (luckily) I will live with this for the next 30 years and it'd better be clear so i can classify it accordingly somewhere in my mind.

Were your treatment decisions influenced by the tubular type? In my case, I feel I would chose to treat less aggressively if tubular vs if i knew it wasn't.

I know, I probably should not voice all these here, since there are so many less that lucky situations out there! Thanks for listening; thanks even more for understanding!

Feb 23, 2019 04:30AM Benaya wrote:

You're welcome, applejuice!! I may be a little out of the norm, but my treatment decision wouldn't have varied significantly had I not been diagnosed with tubular. Initially, after the pathology came back, the surgeon I saw made no distinction between IDC & tubular & I don't think she was particularly knowledgeable about the research. I walked out of her office thinking radiation and hormone blocking drugs were a given--despite the tubular diagnosis. The facility I went to did not have an initial "team" approach which I think would have been helpful. Down the line, the radiologists, etc. become involved, etc. I walked out of there feeling like I needed to do more research myself. I was not as fearful of the diagnosis as I think you may have been. I actually became more fearful about the possibility of being over-treated with radiation and drugs that could have serious effects that I wasn't sure I could handle. I also declined sentinel node biopsy because I feared I'd be in that low percentage of women who develop lymphedema, and I kind of knew, on some level, that it hadn't spread. I did my own research on tubular & doubt any of the doctors would have looked at it much differently at that point in time. When I finally chose a surgeon, they agreed, based on tubular and the research I GAVE THEM, that it was probably safe to forego radiation. They recommended the hormone blockers as did the oncologist but I declined. I was willing to take the risk. I've dealt with a lot of depression, in general, and felt I couldn't deal with some of side-effects of the drugs. Also, I just really felt it wasn't necessary. So, the tubular type made me a little more comfortable with my decision, but it's very likely I would have decided the same without it. I'm probably the opposite of you in my thinking and approach. Also, my goal is not to extend my life as long as possible, but to minimize the daily stressors and try to enhance the quality of my life in the present. I did not think I could do that with any major interventions. Again, this was a risk---but one I was willing to take. I urge everyone to get several opinions from doctors prior to making any decisions.

Feb 23, 2019 05:16AM CAM8 wrote:

I agree Benaya. Everyone has to decide for themselves the approach they want to take. I had a lumpectomy Jan 22 2018. I had a 4 mm tubular carcinoma mass removed. 21 rounds of radiation thereapy (they reduced my 35 rounds after my own research) and no hormone therapy. I was lucky that I have medical professionals in my fam and all of my doctors were awesome and we were on the same page. You have to do what’s comfortable

Feb 24, 2019 05:28AM Benaya wrote:

Hi CAM8,

Yes, you are fortunate that you had access to medical professionals & awesome doctors!. And, yes, everyone has to do what's comfortable for them but hopefully, with a lot of professional help along the way--with opinions that might vary which can made it difficult to decide--but in my experience, the more opinions the better and if you're in a position to do research yourself, all the better too.

Feb 24, 2019 05:41AM CAM8 wrote:

Yes for sure. Treatments that feel right for some may not be comfortable for someone else.

Mar 4, 2019 03:23AM kkayet wrote:

I met with my oncologist for the first time last week, and she told me the type of breast cancer I have is tubular. I had previously thought mine was invasive ductal, so it was somewhat of a relief to find out it was the subtype, tubular. However, any cancer is bad news, this is the better of most diagnoses. Based on my conversation with the oncologist, whether there is any sign of cancer in my sentinel lymph node and the score determining the chance for recurrence will determine my treatment plan. I haven't had surgery yet, but a lumpectomy is planned. Once the other tests are in I'll know whether I will need to take aromatase inhibitor (since I am post menopausal) and get radiation, or whether the hormone treatment will be enough. It is doubtful I will need chemo.

Dx 2/4/2019, IDC: Tubular, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary

Mar 4, 2019 09:54AM Benaya wrote:

Hi kkayet,

Yes, tubular is a good subtype to have. If interested, I listed several articles awhile back on the topic if you're interested in reading about it.

Let us know how your surgery & test results go.

Best!

Page 13 of 13 (380 results)