Join Us

We are 218,061 members in 84 forums discussing 160,867 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: smokieanddabandit

Forum: Less Common Types of Breast Cancer — Meet others with less common forms of breast cancer, such as Medullary carcinoma, Inflammatory breast cancers, Mucinous carcinoma (colloid carcinoma), Paget's disease, Papillary carcinoma, Phyllodes tumor, Tubular carcinomas, Metaplastic tumors, Adenoid cystic carcinomas and Angiosarcoma.

Posted on: Mar 20, 2017 02:04PM

smokieanddabandit wrote:

Hi ladies and gentlemen,i am a 44 year old woman that has been having problems with lumps in my breast. 2 years ago in March i had a lumpectomy in my left breast the following march for mamogram they found and oval shaped assymetry in the right breast,the surgeon said to wait a few months and we would recheck the situation only to have another lumpectomy in September,it went from the size of a nickel to 3 inches in size. i just recently had my mammogram done and low and behold i have 3 masses in the left breast and 1 in the right,again surgeon wants me to wait. What i cant figure out is the radiologist said im a BIRAD 3 and its probably begnin! what the hell is probably begnin? What do i do? What are my options? Worried here in Louisiana!

Shocked

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Mar 20, 2017 03:16PM Moderators wrote:

Welcome smokieanddabandit. You may find it helpful to read here: BIRADS .

This is what they say about BIRAD 3:

3Probably benign: means that there is a finding that is most likely benign, but should be followed in a shorter period of time to see if the area of concern changes.Receive a 6-month follow-up mammogram.

Sounds like your doctor's recommendation is protocol, but you may ask them about additional tests if you feel strongly, or get a second opinion if your insurance permits.

Thinking of you! We completely understand the anxiety that this can cause!

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Mar 20, 2017 03:32PM MTwoman wrote:

smokie, I think scheduling a consult with the surgeon to discuss what he/she thinks it is would be wise. Clearly (based on the BIRADS 3) they do not believe it has a very high likelihood of being benign, but it sounds as if you need more info than that for your peace of mind. Get a written copy of the report in advance. Post any confusing language on here and the very experienced women (and men) on these boards can help you get a list of questions together so that you can go well prepared to your consult. Then you can collect the right info to better understand why they are recommending a wait and see approach. Sorry you're going through this anxiety. ((hugs))

Dx 12/10/2002, DCIS, Right, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 12/20/2002 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 12/23/2003 Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction Surgery Reconstruction (right): Saline implant Surgery Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery Mastectomy: Right

Mar 20, 2017 09:45PM dAd wrote:

Smokie, I think MTwoman meant to say that Birads 3 is very likely not malignant

dAd

Mar 21, 2017 10:49AM MTwoman wrote:

dAd, Oh rats. You're right. They do not believe it has a very high likelihood of being malignant. Trying to type too quickly, short on time, wanted to support. Should remember that and only write when I have time to carefully read through before submit.

SO SORRY Smokie, if this caused you any added distress. Thanks for catching that dAd!

Dx 12/10/2002, DCIS, Right, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 12/20/2002 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 12/23/2003 Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction Surgery Reconstruction (right): Saline implant Surgery Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery Mastectomy: Right

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)