Topic: Single Hormone Receptor Positive -> ER+/PR-/HER2-

Forum: Less Common Types of Breast Cancer — Meet others with less common forms of breast cancer, such as Medullary carcinoma, Inflammatory breast cancers, Mucinous carcinoma (colloid carcinoma), Paget's disease, Papillary carcinoma, Phyllodes tumor, Tubular carcinomas, Metaplastic tumors, Adenoid cystic carcinomas and Angiosarcoma.

Posted on: Sep 17, 2017 09:28AM

Posted on: Sep 17, 2017 09:28AM

seemaryrock wrote:

Anyone else in this same boat? Would love input or sharing your experience. Feeling a little alone in this boat!

Married mother of 7-year-old son and 2-year-old daughter. Diagnosed at age 40. Mother had it 4 years ago and sister (46) was diagnosed 2 weeks after I was. Dx 7/19/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 2/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/30/2017 Chemotherapy 10/16/2017 AC Surgery Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Lymph nodes

Page 53 of 53 (528 results)

Apr 26, 2022 09:41PM murfy wrote:

Katg, the Oncotype is usually not performed if one is Her2+. The Oncotype is used to determine IF chemotherapy is warranted and therapy is a given for those who are Her2+. There are several theories on why our primary tumor is Pr-; for example, abnormal growth factors such as Her2 may cause Pr gene suppression, or there may be a mutation in the Pr gene (these may be responsible for low Oncotype RS), or there may be a loss-of-function of ER (which leads to loss of Pr gene expression. This latter hypothesis simulates a 'triple-negative' situation and may be why anti-estrogen therapy is less effective in some of us and also why some of us have such a high Oncotype RS.

Dx at 62: Oncotype=52; Path (ER=99%, PR=0%, Ki67=55%) Dx 10/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 11/13/2017 Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left) Chemotherapy 12/1/2018 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane)

Apr 27, 2022 07:27PM sarahsmilesatme wrote:

I’ll chime in …. I also had a strong Er+, PR- & HER2- tumor(s), with no lymph node involvement. Grade 3, high oncotype, a lumpectomy, chemo (Cytoxan & Taxotere), and radiation. I’ve been on Letrozole for 2 years. I admit, the Oncotype score and the single hormone receptor status are always lurking in the back of my mind.
FYI - There was another thread that may be of interest - titled “High Oncotype Scores” (or something similar). With the new format, if I can find my “favorites,” I’ll double check the thread title.

Chemotherapy 10/1/2019 Other Chemotherapy 10/1/2019 Chemotherapy 10/4/2019 Chemotherapy 5/4/2022 Other Radiation Therapy 5/4/2022 Surgery

May 24, 2022 10:57AM believe60 wrote:

This thread has been so incredibly helpful to me, thank you all so much. I am realizing how little I knew as I went through the diagnosis and treatment process. I should have asked more questions instead of being a deer in the headlights! Upon biopsy I had been told it was “just” DCIS, no worries, it’s the “good” cancer, no rush to surgery. More than 2 months later the surgical pathology showed three 1 cm grade 3 tumors, along with 26 flecks of grade 3 cells, and a micromet to 1 of 4 sentinel nodes. ER+ PR- HER2-. (99% ER+). They told me the PR status wasn’t significant, so I never thought twice about it. Needless to say, oncotype came back high at 34. So I went through AC and taxol chemo, which I finished in January 2021. I was not referred for radiation as they said in cases like mine it didn’t affect outcome (whatever that may mean). Now I’m on arimidex for 10 years. I am post-menopausal at 61. Plus I get an infusion of zoledronic acid every 6 months. I am transferring to another doctor as I need someone who will talk to me and not at me. Were those 26 flecks somehow significant? I haven’t been able to find anyone else who had that sort of thing in their pathology. I guess whether or not I should have had radiation is a moot point now. I did have a double mastectomy.

Part of me says don’t even look back, just embrace every day as I feel great these days. And I have my 4 beautiful children and 3 grandchildren nearby. With another on the way! Really, I am sograteful for all these things. But sometimes it gnaws at me that I don’t fully understand my diagnosis and prognosis. Especially on the days a new ache or pain makes me anxious! Not sure why I can’t quite let go. There’s nothing that can really change now, so just eating well, exercising and enjoying life. But thank you all for a place to vent. I really appreciate this discussion board.

May 25, 2022 12:55AM murfy wrote:

Believe, it sounds like your docs are treating your situation aggressively and per protocol for your oncotype and your ER+/PR- status. I'm guessing that maybe 1 or more of the 3 tumors were IDCs and the flecks were DCISs. At least, my 'flecks' turned out to be DCISs.

Best of luck with the rest of your treatment! You're so lucky to have a big family nearby!

Dx at 62: Oncotype=52; Path (ER=99%, PR=0%, Ki67=55%) Dx 10/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 11/13/2017 Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left) Chemotherapy 12/1/2018 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane)

May 25, 2022 08:36PM sarahmaude wrote:

believe. I completely understand what you mean when you say you want to more about your diagnosis and prognosis. I think I’m settling on knowing that more statistics on populations of people who are not me isn’t going to help. I would like to know more about my tumor. Basic IHC and my OncoType of 49 leave me wondering too much.

Ultimately. I’m getting the nationally recommended treatment for my stage and grade. I’ve already lost 18 lbs and plan to lose 12 more after chemo. After that,

I’m committed to being active and strong through movement and sensible eating habits.
I will work to enjoy life with family, friends, my career, and hobbies I love.
I’ll engage proactively with my doctors to monitor and manage everything I can.
After that, I’m going to remind myself to accept what I cannot change, and just repeat lines 1-3 above.

And anything interesting I fin about this cancer type I’ll share here.

I agree with murfy, I think your doctor treated you aggressively. But that’s finding one who you can talk to is important.

Hormonal Therapy 2/17/2022 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 3/31/2022 Lumpectomy (Left) Chemotherapy 5/4/2022 Taxotere (docetaxel), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide) Dx IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, ER+/PR-, HER2- Radiation Therapy Left breast

May 27, 2022 05:34PM lillyishere wrote:

I think I am not treated aggressively. I had small cancer in the breast, but 2 out of 5 nodes were positive as someone said, the horse has left the barn. It was my decision for BMX and I asked for chemo and if radiation was needed and I was told NO.

“Within five years, cancer will have been removed from the list of fatal maladies.” That was the optimistic promise to U.S. President William Howard Taft in 1910 when he visited Buffalo’s Gratwick Laboratory, “What’s taking so long?” Dx 7/31/2019, ILC, Left, <1, Stage IIA, 2/5 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 7/31/2019 Aromasin (exemestane), Femara (letrozole) Surgery 9/1/2019 Lymph node removal (Left); Mastectomy (Left): Nipple Sparing; Mastectomy (Right): Nipple Sparing; Reconstruction (Left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (Right): Silicone implant Surgery 9/1/2019 Mastectomy (Left): Nipple Sparing; Mastectomy (Right): Nipple Sparing; Prophylactic mastectomy (Right) Surgery 9/19/2019 Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (Right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 11/29/2019 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 12/1/2019 Femara (letrozole), Aromasin (exemestane) Dx LCIS/ILC, Both breasts, 2/5 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

May 30, 2022 09:16AM sarahmaude wrote:

lillyishere. BC is such a puzzle to me. It baffles me that you could have a <1 cm tumor that went to 2 nodes. It sounds as if they didn’t try to oncotype your tumor. I would have thought the positive nodes would have led to chemo and radiation.

Have you sought a second opinion? I do know that aromitase inhibitors are much more effective than tamoxifen for ER+/Pr- HER2- , so that is certainly in your favor.

Hormonal Therapy 2/17/2022 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 3/31/2022 Lumpectomy (Left) Chemotherapy 5/4/2022 Taxotere (docetaxel), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide) Dx IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, ER+/PR-, HER2- Radiation Therapy Left breast

Jun 9, 2022 01:05PM lillyishere wrote:

sarahmaude, I had the same thoughts as you. Since the tumor was only 3 mm, it wasn't enough to check the Oncotype. I had 4 different opinions. I went to 2 large cancer centers. I assume the new guideline says no chemo and no radiation in my case. I understand no chemo because ILC doesn't respond well however, radiation? Guidelines keep changing and I will feel terrible if radiation will be as required in the future guidelines.

“Within five years, cancer will have been removed from the list of fatal maladies.” That was the optimistic promise to U.S. President William Howard Taft in 1910 when he visited Buffalo’s Gratwick Laboratory, “What’s taking so long?” Dx 7/31/2019, ILC, Left, <1, Stage IIA, 2/5 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 7/31/2019 Aromasin (exemestane), Femara (letrozole) Surgery 9/1/2019 Lymph node removal (Left); Mastectomy (Left): Nipple Sparing; Mastectomy (Right): Nipple Sparing; Reconstruction (Left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (Right): Silicone implant Surgery 9/1/2019 Mastectomy (Left): Nipple Sparing; Mastectomy (Right): Nipple Sparing; Prophylactic mastectomy (Right) Surgery 9/19/2019 Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (Right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 11/29/2019 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 12/1/2019 Femara (letrozole), Aromasin (exemestane) Dx LCIS/ILC, Both breasts, 2/5 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Page 53 of 53 (528 results)

Scroll to top button