Join Us

We are 224,380 members in 83 forums discussing 163,517 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Medicare and MRI rebates

Forum: Australians and New Zealanders Affected by Breast Cancer —

Australian health care, clinical trials, and life in general in the land down under.

Posted on: Jan 3, 2016 04:38AM

murielwhite5 wrote:

Hi to all the Australian ladies, How many of you have heard about Medicare ceasing to rebate some breast cancer sufferers for MRI's? I saw it in the West Australian paper "The Sunday times" last sunday 27th December. I have written to the paper and this week got the letter published. I am urging all Australians to ring their federal M.P., write letters and sign the petition on change.org (online) They already have 20,000 signatures. The article states that people with football injuries, back pain and headaches still qualify for the MRI rebate. Talk about adding insult to injury!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please, I urge you to act. Best wishes to you all Muriel

Dx 6/27/2014, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 1/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/7/2014 Lumpectomy: Right Chemotherapy 8/13/2014 Radiation Therapy 11/23/2014 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Page 1 of 1 (1 results)

Posts 1 (1 total)

Feb 23, 2016 04:45PM AusUSA wrote:

Hi Muriel.

Yes, it is outrageous that MRI for breast cancer isn't covered but it is for sports injuries. It quite disgusting really. I personally probably would have only had 1 surgery instead of three if it had been offered.

I signed the petition back when only a couple thousand had. Great to hear it's got 20k!

Anyway, best of luck for you. :)

Dx 5/12/2015, ILC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 4/13 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/22/2015 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary Chemotherapy 8/11/2015 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy

Page 1 of 1 (1 results)