Join Us

We are 217,533 members in 84 forums discussing 160,617 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Anybody French out there??

Forum: International, Non-English Speakers With Breast Cancer —

From our neighbors near and far whose first language isn't English.

Posted on: Jan 26, 2011 03:03AM

Marie-Edith wrote:

Hello,

I am French and live in Australia.  Diagnosed in Oct. 2010, mastectomy in nov. 2010, started chemo in Dec. 2010. I am wondering if there are any French ladies here. Not that i wish that to anybody :(

Au revoir et a bientot :)

Dx 10/10/2010, ILC, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Page 3 of 13 (386 results)

Posts 61 - 90 (386 total)

Feb 10, 2011 02:32PM AliceJean wrote:

Salut a tous, ici le soleil brille tres fort mais il fait trop froid pour rester dohors! Je souhaite a tous une bonne journee neanmoins...

Don't sing of Yesterday, Yesterday is gone; Tomorrow isn't written, Make Today your song.

Feb 10, 2011 08:18PM Gitane wrote:

Bonjour Marie-Edith,  

I hope your Taxol SE's continue to be mild. (or even better, nonexistant) I'm glad you have the trip back to France and your family to look forward to.  That must help a bit knowing that it's in your future.  I hope the heat doesn't get your down too much.  I know how much the heat can make the hot flashes even worse.  A la prochaine.... g.

Feb 10, 2011 11:00PM Marie-Edith wrote:

Bonjour Marion, je suis ravie de vous rencontrer :)

Oui je comprends la difficultee, moi j'ai le meme probleme pour traduire le vocabulaire medical. On fait comme on peut. D'ou venez vous en France? Vous aussi vous avez rencontre un Aussie. J'ai rencontre le mien lorsque je travaillais/etudiais en Angleterre. Allez vous souvent en France et en Australie? J'habite pres d'Adelaide.  Il me semble que le systeme de sante Americain est aussi different du notre en France mais ce qui rassure c'est qu'aux Etats Unis, ils sont toujours en avance sur les autres pays !! Bonne chance et a bientot :)

Bonjour Vivre :) Your fresh air arrived today, thank you very much, it's a lot cooler with some rain!!  Hope our warm weather will arrive to you soon. In theory you should be getting over the winter next month ? Our winter here is cold too but certainly not as bad as yours!   I think the chemo is doable so far, crooss fingers, you never know what's around the corner !!  I will have the rads later :(  take care :) Cool

xoxo

Feb 10, 2011 11:23PM Marie-Edith wrote:

Bonjour AliceJean,

J'espere que la piscine vous a fait du bien et quand le soleil brille, meme a travers la fenetre ca remonte le moral !! Les hivers en France etaient parfois bien longs, et j'attendais le soleil avec impatience !! En lisant votre profile, je me suis apercue que votre parcours avec la maladie a ete bien difficile et j'espere que vous allez continuer sur une bonne voix. Sans vouloir vous ennuyer,  j'aimerai vous dire que parfois le changement de nourriture peut aussi aider a lutter contre la maladie, bien sur sans delaisser la chimio et tout le reste. J'y crois tres fort !! Bon courage :)

Bonjour Gitane :) Merci de penser a moi. Comme vous pouvez le constater je vais bien puisque je suis encore sur l'ordinateur !! La nuit derniere je suis restee eveillee jusqu'a 1 heure du matin. Je peut que penser que c'est a cause des steroids. Mais aujourd'hui, mis a part la fatigue quotidienne je vais bien, je n'ai encore ressenti aucun effets secondaires. Le docteur m'a cependant bien indique que ca pouvais commencer a n'importe quel moment!! J'attends et j'en profite pour faire le menage a la maison !!

Et bonjour a toutes, et a bientot.  XOXO 

Feb 11, 2011 12:33AM feistybluegecko wrote:

Bonjour a toutes!

It is so nice to connect with you all here.  Yes, I have had an "unusual" path - as scottish woman but having lived in France (Alsace!) Belarus and then moving to Asia in 2000.  It is a long story and some of it is on my blog (this is the main BC one), but I am an international development/humanitarian worker and had a humbling and amazing decade in the area.

But as a blogger I have also been following a francophone blog - here is the link if anyone is interested. Apres mon cancer du sein 

I find in am not feeling so confident in writing French but am loving being able to read your posts.

A tres bientotCool

Philippa

feistybluegeckofightsback.word... Dx 10/2/2009, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 6/15 nodes, ER-/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/4/2009 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 10/22/2009 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 4/14/2010 Radiation Therapy 4/22/2010 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 7/14/2012 Femara (letrozole)

Feb 11, 2011 05:51PM Marie-Edith wrote:

Woua this is amazing Philippa, what an exciting life, it must be very interesting :) Will you ever go to Australia one day ?

Thanks for your links, i couln't access the second one for some reason. The first one is very interesting and i've put it in my favourites.

Well, good or bad news, still no side effects, and i slept the whole night :) I hope the chemo is working !!!!!  

Bon weekend a toutes, bises et a bientot :)

Feb 11, 2011 09:05PM chrissyb wrote:

Oooo Marie-Edith, you maybe lucky and escape with very little side effects this time.......if so, that's great, but don't forget to still rest.

xo Chrissy

I found my peace which gave me strength. 52 at dx. Dx 12/8/2003, IDC, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, 0/12 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 12, 2011 02:51AM Marie-Edith wrote:

Thank you Chrissy, i'm still feeling well today .Smile

xoxo

Feb 12, 2011 10:38AM vivre wrote:

MarieEdith-Thanks for sending the warm winds. It looks like we are going to get some thawing in the next few days. Now we have to worry about flooding! There is so much snow, I am not sure where all the water will go. I think those living along the Mississippi River are going to have a very tough spring. The river in our town was raging last spring. I can't imagine how it will be this year. If you want to read my blog about walking in my area here is the link. Stay tuned for scenes of the floods!

BlueGecko-It will be interesting to follow your blog. I was reading the one about eggshells. How true. People really do tip toe around us. One comment that you made I would like to answer to. You said that you do not believe there is a cure for stage 4. I disagree. There are too many cases of people who are cured. However there is no magic chemo or treatment. Different things work for different people because cancer is a mulitfaceted animal. The key to a cure is digestion and nutrition. Have you ever heard of Dr. David Kelly? He was told he had months to live with stage 4 pancreatic cancer. He started to research and to make a long story short, changed his diet, detoxed his body, etc. and lived another 40 years. I call that a cure. Dr. Gonzalez in NYC is now using Dr. Kelly's  protocol with many people with success. He is not curing everyone, but he is proving to have a great track record.

What is it with those aussie guys and french girls? Ooh la la!

Have a healthful day mes amies!

Feb 12, 2011 11:01AM Gitane wrote:

Hello Marie-Edith, I am very happy to hear that you are doing so well.  I sincerely hope this continues.  All the very, very best.  Gitane

Feb 12, 2011 09:58PM Marie-Edith wrote:

Bonjour a toutes,

Merci Gitane je vais encore tres bien aujourd'hui, toujours pas de side effetcs.Il fait beau et je vais au centre hipique pour voir les chevaux. J'adore les chevaux et ca me manque enormement!!

Je sais pas pourquoi les Aussies aiment les Frenchies !!!!  En tout cas ce sont eux qui viennent nous chercher !!

Vivre, thanks for your link, i enjoy looking at the pictures (especially the "raquettes" ? things to put on your feet. I've never seen them like that before. I hope your spring is not too bad, it's a bit of a worry. I agree with you regarding "curing" cancer. I don't know if such word exist but i beleive we can help ourselves to get better with better nutrition. Since the second world war with the  industrialisation of the food the rate in breast cancer and obesity keeps rising. And if we look closely at what we are putting in our mouth, it's quite scary !! Regarding the chemo, i've just found out that taxol was inefficace for ER+ and Her - breast cancers. Still doctors keep giving it because it's not been proven, and it's "better to be safe than sorry". This is excatly what i have so it doesn't make me feel very secure :(

I'd like to stay and chat some more but have to go, husband waiting for me.

XOXO

Feb 17, 2011 02:43PM Gitane wrote:

Bonjours Marie-Edith,

We haven't heard from you in a while.  I hope you are well.

I would have loved to learn to ride a horse.  Alas, it was never possible.

What are you doing, nutrition-wise, to help fight cancer and stay healthy?

It's good news that you will be going home to see your family.  That is a section of France that is very beautiful and I am sure you have missed being there.  Australia must be quite a change for you. 

I, too, was told that Taxol was not as effective on ER+ Her2- breast cancer.  However, I have been told the same thing about Adriamycin and it was very effective on my cancer.  Like you I am PgR- , and my ER level isn't really high.  That might have something to do with it. 

Hope to hear from you soon.   G. 

Feb 17, 2011 07:40PM Marie-Edith wrote:

Bonjour tout le monde, Bonjour Gitane,

Yes i'm doing fine. I had a taxol yesterday again but still no side effects, except for a few pins and needles in my hands that lasted a couple of minutes. This treatment is deffinitely easier than the AC and i feel less tired, have more energy to go out, that why i've spent less time on computer. I check my emails regularly so i am very very, happy to hear from you :) :) :)

Actually today i am going to see my last employer, they were very nice to me, and i'd like to say hello. It's raining here. Yes i love horses, eventhough i don't go horse riding any more, it's very expensive, i like to be around them, it gives me a great sense of happiness which is much needed a the moment :)

Regarding the chimio, i feel as though i am loosing faith in it. I know that i have to go throught it. It would be foolish not to. Next wednesday i'm seeing my oncologist and i have (as always) heaps of questions. But his answers are never satisfying that's why i'm loosing faith in him too :(  Soon i'm going to see my breast surgeon and he's very helpful, so i won't give up!!!!

I guess that's part of the learning experience of cancer. So I try to focus on a good alimentation for myself and my family. I did well yesterday, ate plenty of "anti-cancer" food. My urine ph was at 8 this morning .  So i've read  from this point, it can be beneficial for fighting cancer. But on a daily basis it's still impossible, it's so very easy to go back down quickly. I'm slowly making changes and i have developped some affinities with green tea and dark chocolate :) It's a very slow process!!!

How about you? When are you going to france next? The south of France has a very rich mediteranean diet which is very good. I have visited the south, it's beautioful and the weather is nice. I like all the old Roman remains too. In Normandy it's more the cows, milk, cheese, butter and cookies !!! It's definitely different in Australia, when i first arrived to Queensland it was such a big culture shock for me. Now i live in South Australia, and i like it very much otherwise i would have gone back to live in France. People are very nice here and very accepting of different nationalities, the climate is more temperate (bit like the south of France), the vegetation is a mix of Australian and European, the food is great, it's a wine making region and i must say that the Australian wines are at the tops. If you see them on your supermarket shelves give it a try. Except for the rose, i am sorry to say but it still requires some work into it.  Rose tastes like..... :( :( :( :(    But the cheese, i'm lucky, there are lots of local artisans who make delicious cheeses, and of course we have some cute koalas :) :)  So when are you coming to Australia ? I'll come to America next !!

Great to hear from you Gitane, hope you are keeping well and i'll keep in touch.

Bon courage a tout le monde, gardez le moral :)

XOXO 

Feb 17, 2011 08:06PM MariannaLaFrance wrote:

Bonjour a tout le monde-

Je suis francophone, mais c'est n'est pas ma langue maternelle. Je faisais mes etudes en France, a Paris, et j'ai passe beaucoup des temps la bas.  Mon orthographie est terrible,mais je comprends tout ce que je lis.  Je suis Americaine, des origins Quebecoise.

Je suis heureuse de faire ta connaissance!

Marianna

Dx 1/26/2010, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 17, 2011 10:14PM Gitane wrote:

Bonjours Marianna, et bienvenue!  

Feb 17, 2011 10:17PM vivre wrote:

Marie-Edith-You might want to contact Aschercut who posts on our Natural Girls Forum. She is also an Aussie and doing a lot of things that we talk about there, including diet, exercise, etc. She mentioned that Olivia Newton John has built and incredible retreat for women with breast cancer. Have you heard of it? Aussie wines are very popular around here. I think Americans like the little Roos on the bottle. LOL Hey we are not so picky about the the taste. The French wines have become too expensive. We actually have a budding wine business going in my state of Illinois. The southern part of the state has a hilly and more temparate climate and vineyards are springing up all over. But I have given up drinking wine, except for a little sip on rare occasions. The alcohol is estrogenic and breaks down to sugar and sugar fuels cancer.

Good to see you here too Marianna.

Feb 18, 2011 02:01AM Marie-Edith wrote:

Bonjour Marianna et bienvenue,

Je trouve que vous ecrivez tres bien. Je suis sure que je fais plus de fautes que vous, moi c'est surtout la grammaire !!!  (J'ai un petit secret : J'ai eu 2/20 en Francais au baccalaureat.) Heureusement je me suis rattrapee dans d'autres matieres et je suis passee !! C'est sympa de passer nous dire bonjour :)

Viver, je suis allee faire un tour du cote des natural girls et il y a beaucoup d'informations!!! C'est tres interessant et j'y retournerai :) Je ne connais pas la retreat de Olivia Newton John, je ne pense pas que ce soit de mon cote. Et pour le vin alors si vous en trouvez, n'hesitez pas a en boire!! Bien que depuis mon diagnostic je ne bois plus d'alcool, je n'en ai plus envie alors qu'avant j'en prenais un verre de vin au repas du soir.  

Gitane, je ne connaissais pas Adriamycin, mais nous ca s'appelle Doxorubicin et ca je l'ai eu en AC. Je pense que ca a agit car j'avais des nodules au cou qui ont disparus. Je pense que mon plus gros probleme sont les hormones oestrogenes et je pense que ce serait une bonne idee de me faire operer des ovaires aussi.

Bon aller, j'y vais !

A bientot xoxo 

Feb 21, 2011 04:04AM Marie-Edith wrote:

Bonjour tout le monde,

J'espere que vous allez bien. Moi je suis tres fatiguee. Je pense que j'ai voulu en faire de trop la semaine derniere !! (chemo, cleaning, cooking, sorting out boxes in the garage, parents meeting, selling biscuits for girl guides all afternoon yesterday) I am mad :(  

Today i felt like a larvea and ate nothing but chocolate all day!!! 

XOXO

Feb 22, 2011 12:59PM Gitane wrote:

Chocolate sounds good to me.  Stay in the cocoon and take care of yourself.

Hugs, Gitane 

Feb 22, 2011 03:53PM pj12 wrote:

Bonjour Marie-Edith et tout le monde,

I am so enjoying reading the posts in french! I lived in France as a child and used to be able to converse in french. Alas, without practice I have lost much of my language skill.  And I was never any good at conjugating verbs! But I can read 99% of what you all write and it encourages me to try thinking in french again. 

It is too easy to overdo when you feel well. I hope you can take it a little easy this week and recover a bit.  

Best wishes to everyone from Florida, USA.

Pam 

"Nobody told me there'd be days like this ~ Strange days, Indeed. " John Lennon................... Treatment: Lumpectomy, 36 Radiation, Arimidex, now Tamoxifen Dx 3/3/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 22, 2011 06:20PM Marie-Edith wrote:

Bonjour les filles :)

merci Gitane. Et oui le chocolat ca marche a tous les coups !!! Je vais mieux aujourd'hui D'ailleur j'ai rendez vous avec l'oncologiste et ensuite j'ai une chemo (nb 3/12) . Je sais pas si j'arriverai un jour a manger comme il le faut. J'essaye, j'abandonne pas !! Avant mon diagnostic, je mangeais tres mal alors c'est dur de changer!! Je sais qu'il le faut !!  En tout cas merci pour vos encouragements et la seule chose qui me rassure en ce moment c'est de savoir que vous avez eu la meme chimio que moi Gitane, alors merci de l'avoir partage. Ca compte beaucoup, je m'y accroche :)  je pense souvent a vous :) Take care.  

Bonjour Pam, et bienvenue.

Ah les verbes !!!  Ils sont pas sympas !! Mes filles etant jeunes parlaient le Francais couramment car je leur parlais Francais. Maintenant avec l'ecole c'est l'Anglais qui domine. mais elles comprennent bien. Bon la grammaire, c'est autre chose!!!!

Oui donc, je vais me calmer un peu. Mais je suis tellement heureuse d'avoir cette energie (qui m'a tant manquee) que j'ai envie de faire plein de choses. malheureusement il faut assumer ses limites :(

Bon courage Pam et bonne continuation :)

xoxo everyone, take care, hope you're all well :) 

Feb 23, 2011 05:31AM Marie-Edith wrote:

Hello :)

I found a way to help with my hot flashes at home. I stick my head in the freezer between the chips and the peas. It's at the right height and it feels soooo good !!

xoxo

Feb 23, 2011 09:24AM Marion wrote:

French grammar is hard for sure! I would know, I teach French here in the States.

I can teach "passe compose" as many times as I want, I still have a few students who will say "j'ai alle" instead of "je suis alle", or "je suis fini" instead of "j'ai fini"! Argh!!!

Dx 7/23/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 1/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 23, 2011 02:18PM pj12 wrote:

I wish that were the worst I   would do!

Pam 

"Nobody told me there'd be days like this ~ Strange days, Indeed. " John Lennon................... Treatment: Lumpectomy, 36 Radiation, Arimidex, now Tamoxifen Dx 3/3/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 24, 2011 05:41PM Marie-Edith wrote:

Bonjour :)

C'est la traduction de l'anglais en francais. Comme nous "j'ai faim, j'ai soif" ce devrait faire "i have hungry, i have thirsty" . Ils faut l'aprendre par coeur et pas chercher a comprendre. Pourquoi avons nous inventes des langues si compliquees ??  

Bonne journee a toutes.

Bises :)

Feb 24, 2011 05:46PM chrissyb wrote:

Hi Marie-Edith, are you still up for lunch on Tuesday?  12.30 at the Organic Cafe.....I'm looking forward to it.  Please don't feel obliged if you are feeling unwell as I will truly understand and we can make it another day if that suits you beter.

Love n hugs.  Chrissyb

I found my peace which gave me strength. 52 at dx. Dx 12/8/2003, IDC, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, 0/12 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 24, 2011 06:14PM Marie-Edith wrote:

Hello Chrissy :)

Of course i am looking forward to lunch on tuesday :)  It will be nice to meet you :) I haven't forgotten and i'm seeing my breast surgeon in the morning. I know it's diffficult to make ""plans"" with the chemo, and i can be a bit too ambitious.  My latest is that i would like to go for a walk to the beach this weekend to Hallett Cove. It's a beautiful place. Hope i make it !!!  

I have your number and if there are any changes for any reason, i'll let you know straight away.

A tres bientot :) 

Feb 24, 2011 06:29PM sheila888 wrote:

HI Friends...Im not French but I went to French School where I was born (ISTANBUL)

i admire the language and i can understand at least half of the posts written in French.

Do you mind if I stop by sometimes .

Merci Beaucoup.

Je m'appelle Sheila.

Sheila♥ Dx 4/8/2005, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Dx 8/21/2015, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/13/2015 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right Dx 11/2018, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver/lungs, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 25, 2011 01:39AM Marie-Edith wrote:

Bonjour Sheila :)

Ravie de vous rencontrer :) Et vous pouvez venir aussi souvent que vous voulez. Je ne pensais pas qu'il y avait tant de personnes qui avaient des "french connections" et ca me fait tres plaisir.

Il y a plus de 20 ans maintenant que je suis allee a Istambul et j'ai beaucoup aime. La Mosquee Bleue est magnifique, et aussi  le Bazaar. J'ai beaucoup aime faire la connaissance des habitants locaux, et de partager leur magnifique culture. Les "bus rides" et "donkey rides" etaient tres interessantes. J'ai toujours mon 'rucksack",  mon album photo, mon voile brode a la main, mes tickets d'entree et monnaie Turque, et bien sur tout mes bons souvenirs.

Envie de voyager maintenant!! Bein voila !!!

Bises et a bientot :)

Feb 25, 2011 12:05PM - edited Feb 25, 2011 12:06PM by sheila888

Marie...I understood what you wrote but not all of it. You said;

I can come here as often as I want. I don't think any person would mind and that's my real thought.

20 years ago you went to Istanbul and you liked it a lot. you really liked a lot the locals and how they share their culture. And all the nice gifts.

bientot??

bises??    kisses

Thanks very much you made my day Marie.

how did I do?Wink

HUGS♥

Sheila♥ Dx 4/8/2005, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Dx 8/21/2015, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/13/2015 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right Dx 11/2018, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver/lungs, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 3 of 13 (386 results)