We are 186,123 members in 80 forums discussing 140,386 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: International, Non-English Speakers With Breast Cancer → Topic: Can we post in Chinese

Topic: Can we post in Chinese

Forum: International, Non-English Speakers With Breast Cancer —

From our neighbors near and far whose first language isn't English.

Posted on: Jan 6, 2017 05:46PM - edited Jan 6, 2017 05:49PM by suiyueruge

suiyueruge wrote:

I just found this could be a potential opportunity for non-English speaker to "discuss" with the English speaking patients here in the North America about the treatment plan, drugs and how to cope with the SE. I am going to try to see if this will work.

Here is the google translation for the paragraph above.

我只是发现这可能是一个潜在的机会,非英语的说话者"讨论"在这里的英语听说的患者在北美关于治疗计划,药物和如何应对SE。我将尝试看看这是否会工作。

I can type in Chinese now.

我真的希望讲英语的癌症病人会回应这里的问题。我们可以利用google翻译等软件交流。我说普通话和一些英语,我知道一些中国患者会非常想了解在北美类似的情况病人可以得到什么样的治疗,在这里什么样的临床试验可用,这里的医生给用什么样的化疗药物。And the following is the google translation of this paragraph.

I really hope that English-speaking cancer patients will respond to the questions here. We can use google translation software communication. I speak Mandarin and some English, I know some Chinese patients will be very much like to understand the similar situation in North America, patients can get what kind of treatment, where the kind of clinical trials are available, where the doctor to what kind of chemotherapy drugs.

Page 1 of 1 (10 results)

Posts 1 - 10 (10 total)

Jan 7, 2017 04:32AM Traveltext wrote:

I'm interested to hear what the mods think of this idea. One potential drawback that I can see is that translation software can sometimes result in imprecise results which could be serious with medical terminology. Also, the names for drugs would have to be cafe fully translated to unsure accuracy; the implications of inaccuracy in this case are obvious.

我有兴趣听到mods想到这个想法。我可以看到的一个潜在的缺点是,翻译软件有时会导致不精确的结果,这可能是严重的医疗术语。此外,药物的名称必须被完全翻译成不确定的准确性;在这种情况下不准确的影响是显而易见的。

One percent of those newly diagnosed with breast cancer are guys. I'm one of those. Recently diagnosed and treated for prostate cancer. Now NED for both. More on Male BC here. Dx 3/6/2014, IBC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, 2/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/17/2014 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 7/28/2014 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 9/14/2014 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 11/3/2014 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jan 11, 2017 04:02PM stephilosphy00 wrote:

I came to US from China many years ago. Let me know how I can help.

Dx at 29. Original mass 2.5 to 3 cm. Biopsy MRI and PET/CT confirmed 1 node involved. Ki-67 score 7.5%. ER+ 98%/PR+ 99%. Genetic testing negative. Dx 11/9/2016, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 11/18/2016 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 5/10/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left

Jan 12, 2017 03:53AM Traveltext wrote:

Still awaiting the mods answer to the original question.

One percent of those newly diagnosed with breast cancer are guys. I'm one of those. Recently diagnosed and treated for prostate cancer. Now NED for both. More on Male BC here. Dx 3/6/2014, IBC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, 2/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/17/2014 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 7/28/2014 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 9/14/2014 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 11/3/2014 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jan 12, 2017 08:45PM muska wrote:

Hi suiyueruge, if I understand correctly you propose users post in Chinese and we use google translate and read these posts in English? I am not sure I get the purpose. Why can't the non-English speaking users translate on Google first and post in English if they want? Also agree with Travelpost, things will be lost in translation no matter how good the software is.

I am sure there are sites in Chinese and other languages for cancer patients to support each other and socialize in the virtual world. Building a multi-lingual breast cancer support site might be a wonderful but rather difficult and expensive endeavor.

And what about security? Spam in English is recognized immediately by many, spam in Chinese would not be recognized so quickly. Unfortunately, spam in Chinese appears rather frequently on this site.

Please take no offense - I am not a native English speaker myself but I don't understand how this would help.

Dx at 54 Dx 5/9/2013, DCIS/IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 7/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Dx 6/13/2013, LCIS, Both breasts Surgery 6/13/2013 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 7/25/2013 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 2/20/2014 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Hormonal Therapy 3/12/2014 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 3/23/2014 Breast, Lymph nodes, Bone

Jan 13, 2017 07:34PM - edited Jan 13, 2017 07:34PM by stephilosphy00

I recently joined a breast cancer QQ group to share what I know about with Chinese breast cancer patients. I was so shocked to find out that most of them didn't understand much about their pathology reports which somehow was caused by the communication issue they had with the doctors. There are just so little up-to-date breast cancer news and articles have been translated into Chinese, asking their doctors is the the only way to know more about their treatment options.

Dx at 29. Original mass 2.5 to 3 cm. Biopsy MRI and PET/CT confirmed 1 node involved. Ki-67 score 7.5%. ER+ 98%/PR+ 99%. Genetic testing negative. Dx 11/9/2016, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 11/18/2016 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 5/10/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left

Jan 13, 2017 07:47PM - edited Jan 14, 2017 05:14PM by treelilac

I find the following threads under the "international, non-English speakers with breast cancer" forum on BCO. Obviously different language usage is encouraged.

¡Ya tenemos foros de discusión en español!

Anybody German here? Gibt es andere Deutsche hier?

Any Dutch people? Zijn hier Nederlanders (of Vlamingen)?

Danskerer? Jeg er dansk, men taler naturligvis engelsk.

Left MX with TE (11/2010) @ Age 42--microinvasion-> stage I (post op). BRCA-. Tamoxifen 3 yrs. Right Pleomorphic ILC (3/2015), DCIS 2 cm, LCIS 8 cm (post op). BRIP1+. Oncotype 11. Dx 9/17/2010, DCIS, Left, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 11/8/2010 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant, Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Dx 3/27/2015, ILC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 5/11/2015 Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jan 13, 2017 08:09PM Traveltext wrote:

I just checked Baidu.com, the main Chinese search engine, and BCO is well indexed. In fact, it comes up on the first page for the search term "breast cancer". Of course, with all BCO content in English (and Spanish) it would not be accessible to a native Chinese speaker.

Perhaps BCO could have important pages translated into Chinese. Then, as treelilac has pointed out, discussions in Chinese could take place in the forum: International etc.

Jan 14, 2017 04:03PM dAd wrote:

No offence but I agree with Muska. Members should use Google to access an English translation and post that. My understanding is that there are numerous Chinese dialects as well as many other countries that use scripts other than Latin. Spam is only one of the potential consequences.

dAd

Jan 14, 2017 07:44PM Traveltext wrote:

Chinese members could translate their posts into English, but they could also just engage in Chinese conversations in Mandarin (the national language) in the International threads like people of other nationalities do now. Of course, it's up to BCO management to decide if they want to include further translations of their content outside of Spanish.

It needs to be pointed out that breast cancer treatment in China is basic and public education way behind that in Western countries. More HERE.

Jan 14, 2017 09:58PM - edited Jan 14, 2017 10:02PM by muska

If you look at the International forum threads you will notice there are no ongoing conversations. A few above mentioned threads were started three or four years ago and got no follow up. There are no "live" threads. I think the reason is twofold: first, this is an English speaking site and as such it only attracts those who speak English, and second, it takes a large group of people to get a thread going as the vast majority read but don't post.

Edited to add: I just had a quick look at the Spanish version of the site and it is not very active. Few active threads.

Dx at 54 Dx 5/9/2013, DCIS/IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 7/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Dx 6/13/2013, LCIS, Both breasts Surgery 6/13/2013 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 7/25/2013 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 2/20/2014 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Hormonal Therapy 3/12/2014 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 3/23/2014 Breast, Lymph nodes, Bone

Page 1 of 1 (10 results)