Topic: Pre-existing mental illness now w/cancer

Forum: Breast Cancer with Another Diagnosis or Comorbidity — Meet others who have breast cancer but also have another health diagnosis/comorbidity such as another cancer, diabetes, MS, bipolar disorder, HIV or AIDS, Parkinson's Disorder, schizophrenia, etc.

Posted on: Sep 10, 2010 02:47PM

Posted on: Sep 10, 2010 02:47PM

bellapazza wrote:

I did not read through the endless pages here, I'm sorry.  But new.  I see there is a forum and I've favorited it re: anxiety, depression, PTSD as a result of cancer, but I have had severe anxiety and depression my whole life, and now breast cancer -- I am 51.  I also have a limited support system and a very poor marriage.  My family was seriously dysfunctional and abusive.  No one left either ... which in a sense is good.  I'm an only child as well.

I don't know how to deal with this.  I have a therapist, am on psychiatric meds.  I'm awaiting an Oncotype Dx which if low would spare me that horror, but I've also been told I will need 5 years of Tamoxifen.  Apparently the side effects of that are anxiety and depression which I have anyway!

I am on three psych meds which apparently don't need to be changed, but I cannot function without them.

Is there another forum that deals with this specifically?  I will continue to post in the other forum.  I am also considering a Blog to add to a website I have about my experience with mental illness.

Thank you all strong women out there!

What a journey we all must take!

Tamoxifen 9/26/10, Oncotype 10 Dx 7/13/2010, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 6 (53 results)

Feb 23, 2014 03:38PM PeggySull wrote:

I haven't had a chance to read through earlier posts but I plan to in the next couple of days.

Just when I reached my new normal and my first thing besides fun things was to get my postponed medical appointments scheduled.  Some if not all of which I expected to be routine.

Internist ok.  Cardiologist supposed to be ok because I have this sort of routine aortic valve leakage and had to have a stress echo test that seemed to go fine.  This past Friday when iI went for the results I expected him to say see you in three or five years.  Instead he said I was going to have an aortic valve replacement in the next five years.  I was so blown away I couldn't even think of a question.  He provided some dx and tx info but I will need to follow up, etc.and  coordinate with my onc. And my husband is being an idiot.

I'm just sitting here. Crying and wondering what other shoes are going to drop at the endocrine MD and Gastro doc.  I've been physically healthy most of my life (emotionally, not so much), have rotten genes. And am generally feeling sorry for myself.  If anyone has gotten this far, thanks for listening.

Peggy

Dx 10/2012, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 11/26/2012 Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Chemotherapy 12/3/2012 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 4/2/2013 Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Dx 4/9/2013, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 9/9/2013 Reconstruction (left): Nipple reconstruction; Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction

Feb 23, 2014 04:17PM farmerlucy wrote:

Sorry Peggy -  I don't know why life has to be so hard sometimes. Crossing my fingers that everything checks out A-ok at the last two docs. Rest today, get some good sleep tonight, tomorrow regroup and put one foot in front of the other. Gentle hug.  We're here for you.

Dx at 51 after a preventive mx that wasn't. Oncotype dx 3. 3D tattoos from Vinnie! PTSD?? You are not alone! Surgery 2/21/2012 Prophylactic mastectomy; Reconstruction (Left): Tissue Expander; Reconstruction (Right): Tissue Expander Dx 2/24/2012, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/11/2012 Lymph node removal Surgery 7/22/2012 Reconstruction (Left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (Right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 4/10/2013 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 4/14/2015

Feb 23, 2014 04:29PM SlowDeepBreaths wrote:

Peggy, it's good to vent and get those feelings out. I hope you get better news with your next two doctors. You are in my thoughts. {{{gentle hugs}}}

Dx 4/2016, TN mets to lung. VATS left upper lobe wedge resection. "Fall seven times, stand up eight" Japanese Proverb Dx 7/2013, IDC, Left, 1cm, Grade 2, 0/0 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+, Dx 7/2013, IDC, Left, 1cm, Grade 2, 0/0 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-,

Feb 24, 2014 08:41AM PeggySull wrote:

Farmer Lucy and SlowDeep,

Thank you for your kind words and thoughts.  Things will settle down I hope as the week wears on.  If I could get some good sleep...

Hope you two and the rest who are struggling are doing okay today.  

Hugs,

Peggy

Dx 10/2012, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 11/26/2012 Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Chemotherapy 12/3/2012 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 4/2/2013 Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Dx 4/9/2013, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 9/9/2013 Reconstruction (left): Nipple reconstruction; Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction

Mar 10, 2014 01:59PM Lilyluv wrote:

Hi PeggySull,  Hope you're feeling a bit better now.  I've just been looking at different topics and saw this was written awhile ago.  

Dx 11/2012, DCIS, 2cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/0 nodes, ER+/PR+ Dx 11/2013, DCIS, 2cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/0 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 12/17/2013 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 1/20/2014 Breast

Oct 6, 2017 02:07AM Faithonfire wrote:

Hi peggy I am new too and I have had ptsd for over a decade now and just got diagnosed with stage 3 braca 2 invasive ductal carcinoma in june.

I understand how hard it is to have a thin grip on life before such a whopper of a diagnosis, doing therapy for a serious condition already then getting a diagnosis that changes your entire routine dropped on your head without warning!

I keep you all in my prayers and look forward to sharing some tips and laughs along our sea of tears in this long journey.

I was lucky enough to have my ptsd therapy in place before my diagnosis, years of cognitive behavioral therapy allowed me the ability to manage my symptoms one at a time as I receive treatments. They actually have cognitive processing therapy for chemo patients to aid stability with side effects setting off symptoms of other diagnosis. This kept me sane and helped manage each issue more effectively without the feelings of loss of complete control.

It's all about the little victories we find each day that keep one foot in front of the other, and I consider finding your topic here one of mine today! Thank you all for making me feel that my past struggles might make someone else's path a little easier. I've suffered enough for everyone believe me

Dx 6/25/2017, IDC, Both breasts, Stage IIIC, ER+, HER2- Chemotherapy 7/14/2017 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Doxil (doxorubicin), Methotrexate (Amethopterin, Mexate, Folex), Taxol (paclitaxel), Taxotere (docetaxel) Chemotherapy 9/2/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 1/9/2018 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 1/9/2018 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Nipple reconstruction, Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction, Tissue expander placement

Oct 6, 2017 03:45PM auroaya wrote:

Hi Faith. Welcome to the thread I don’t know if Peggy still visits this thread the last entry was February 2014. My name isAurora and im a recovering alcoholic with 8 years of sobriety. I also have bipolar disorder and I take prescription medicine for it. Thanks to AA’s 12th step program when I received my first cancer diagnosis I did not loose my mind. To this date “talk” therapy works for me.

I’m glad you “revived” this thread perhaps we can help others and each other.

Warm regards,

Aurora

Dx 12/23/2009, Stage IIA, 11/16 nodes, ER+ Chemotherapy 1/10/2010 Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 5/5/2010 Mastectomy: Right Hormonal Therapy 9/1/2010 Radiation Therapy 9/1/2010 3DCRT: Breast, Lymph nodes Dx 7/17/2013, Stage IV, 0/0 nodes, mets, ER+ Hormonal Therapy 7/19/2013 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 9/1/2013 3DCRT: Bone Chemotherapy 3/23/2015 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Hormonal Therapy 4/12/2016 Faslodex (fulvestrant) Targeted Therapy 4/12/2016 Ibrance (palbociclib) Surgery

Oct 10, 2017 12:55AM Faithonfire wrote:

Nice to meet you too

I just threw a shot out in the dark seeing if anyone would need or like to know that there are options available with long term diagnosis such as ours during times of systemic interruptions like chemo treatments or pregnancy that temporarily make conventional medications a less viable option vs risks that might not be properly understood as it pertains to the total health and quality of life issues that factor in to the informed decision making process.

I am very proud of you for your great achievements in aa that well surpass my own at the moment. I had 10 months alcohol free before I was diagnosed but chose not to do aa because I was working my cbt therapy at the time and had enough skills to keep me as out patient and continue the brutal chemotherapy prep diagnostics biopsies and every horrible medical test needed in record time!

This is not my first setback but what I learned in aa previously helped me to have an emergency plan in place to seek treatment and have my husband take care of our three teenagers and their busy schedules while I adjust to the medication changes and minimize the trauma as much as I can in the face of full symptoms flare ups.

It is hands down the hardest thing I have ever had to do, and right now they all feel as if I have abandoned them no matter how I try to explain it to them.

We all need to allow ourselves to ask for and receive the help we need to stay as stable as we can in light of our circumstances pre and post diagnosis and what kind of plans we can arrange just in case. I have always prepared for the worst and hope for the best but I'm no fool and the worst enemy to my success is me. Knowing better means we can do better. For me those were some hard lessons learned and I hope I can spare anyone my pain level with what I can do now that I wish I had known sooner.

I have to get up early for my surgery meeting before chemo treatment so I will be a wreck for the next few days and already have my therapy the next day, every time.

It really helps me to know we are not alone in this journey no matter what anyone we love may say or do to ignite an already critical moment. For me, the hardest person I ever had to forgive was and still is myself.

Best wishes and best of luck to you, I will check back as soon as I'm strong enough to

Dx 6/25/2017, IDC, Both breasts, Stage IIIC, ER+, HER2- Chemotherapy 7/14/2017 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Doxil (doxorubicin), Methotrexate (Amethopterin, Mexate, Folex), Taxol (paclitaxel), Taxotere (docetaxel) Chemotherapy 9/2/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 1/9/2018 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 1/9/2018 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Nipple reconstruction, Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction, Tissue expander placement

Oct 25, 2017 11:19PM - edited Oct 26, 2017 02:39PM by Foosfan72

Hi, I was wondering if any one on here is being treated for Bipolar II while going through treatment. I am stage 3a, have had a mastectomy, gone through chemo (a/c and Taxol), and started radiation last week. Everything has been manageable so far and my doctor has been closely monitoring interactions with medications, but I am terrified of the side effects that I may have with Lupron and Tamoxifen.

Dx 3/3/2017, IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIIA, 8/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Dx 3/3/2017, IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIIA, 8/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Surgery 4/24/2017 Chemotherapy 6/8/2017 Radiation Therapy Hormonal Therapy

Oct 26, 2017 12:24AM auroaya wrote:

Hello Fusban I hope I can be of some help but first two clarifications: I have bipolar disorder also known as maniac-depression Was dx before breast cancer. Don’t know what the II mean after bipolar I was never given a stage or anything like that. I also not familiar with Lupton.

So if we do have the same ailment the only bad interaction I ever found between my bipolar meds and cancer meds is that I was taken the antidepressant Prozac and that was contraindicated. My psychiatrist switched me to Cymbalta 60 mg and everything is ok. In fact Cymbalta also helps with the hot flashes and the joint pains from taking the anti-hormone Cancer meds.

I’m currently taking for bipolar: Cymbalta 60mg once a day; Divalproex 500mg ER and Risperidone 2mg. Risperidone also has an interaction but I forget which.

I’m currently getting IVchemo Abraxane and don’t have any side effects. As a matter of fact I think my Psych meds help with the cancer’s side effects. When I was dx with the cancer my Psychiatrist increased the dosage of the Cymbalta from 30mg to 60mg and the Risperidone from 1mg to 2mg.

In my experience the psych meds do not interfere with the cancer treatment.

There are a couple of good sites in the web which let you run your meds for interactions.

Good luck if you have more questions pm me.

Aurora

Dx 12/23/2009, Stage IIA, 11/16 nodes, ER+ Chemotherapy 1/10/2010 Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 5/5/2010 Mastectomy: Right Hormonal Therapy 9/1/2010 Radiation Therapy 9/1/2010 3DCRT: Breast, Lymph nodes Dx 7/17/2013, Stage IV, 0/0 nodes, mets, ER+ Hormonal Therapy 7/19/2013 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 9/1/2013 3DCRT: Bone Chemotherapy 3/23/2015 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Hormonal Therapy 4/12/2016 Faslodex (fulvestrant) Targeted Therapy 4/12/2016 Ibrance (palbociclib) Surgery

Page 1 of 6 (53 results)

Scroll to top button