We are 214,047 members in 82 forums discussing 152,598 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Anyone else with thyroid cancer too?

Forum: Breast Cancer with Another Diagnosis or Comorbidity — Meet others who have breast cancer but also have another health diagnosis/comorbidity such as diabetes, MS, bipolar disorder, HIV or AIDS, Parkinson's Disorder, schizophrenia, etc.

Posted on: Nov 11, 2013 06:06PM

MusicLover wrote:

When I met my oncologist for the first time I joked to his receptionist that I must have reached my expiration date. Well, I just found out that I have thyroid cancer too. I was so upset that I left his office without a copy of the biopsy report so I don't even know what type it is but I do know that he said it is not an aggressive kind. Ultimately, I guess this is not a big deal but I was certain that the biopsy was going to come back benign. I had found on the web that thyroid nodules benign or malignant come up as a hypermedabolic on PET scans but sure enough my parts are expiring one by one. I will find out more after Thanksgiving but they will probably take the nodule and the thyroid out. I looked up some information on the web about thyroid cancer and there is a relationship between the thyroid and the breasts, so I'm just curious if anyone else has had thyroid cancer too? Thanks for listening to my whining...Sad

As per PET scan, 3 or 4 nodules in the right breast, 2 of which were actually in the middle of my chest, the other 2 were side by side in the breast. Also DCIS in the left breast. Dx 9/23/2013, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, 1/0 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 10/9/2013 Femara (letrozole)

Page 2 of 2 (46 results)

Posts 31 - 46 (46 total)

Nov 25, 2018 09:30AM momand2kids wrote:

I may have responded to this before-- dx breast cancer in 2008-- lumpectomy, chemo, radiation, drugs then in 2014 dx with pappillary thyroid cancer-- tiny- but still needed to have thyroid removed and low dose of radioactive iodine-- everyone in the medical chain of this dx said there was no correlation between the 2--I wondered if not using thyroid shield for all of my mammograms for 15 year may have played into this... I have to admit, while I know that thyroid cancer is the most low level of the cancers and the prognosis was beyond excellent, I was just pissed after having gone thorugh so much with bc.

the follow up is an annual ultrasound, clinical visit and 2 blood draws per year to check levels. taking levothyroxine.... generally feel great- but literally never had a thyroid issue or questionable levels at any point before this.... the nodule was found after a ct scan for a cough I could not shake-which it turns out was the nodule creating an irriation--so I guess I was lucky. It is just so strange to have had cancer twice.... doesn't even feel possible to me. But, on the upside, I feel great- and I am thankful for all of the good health care I have received.....

Surgery was not difficult-one night in the hospital- and I tool a long time off- like 3 weeks (it was summer) and I really wanted to be well-rested before I went back to work. Probably could have gone back after a week.
Just another bump in the road.....

good luck

Dx 10/29/2008, ILC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/25/2008 Lumpectomy: Right Chemotherapy 1/16/2009 Adriamycin (doxorubicin) Radiation Therapy 3/23/2009 Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/15/2009 Femara (letrozole)

Nov 25, 2018 03:07PM TB90 wrote:

Thanks Momand2kids: I find myself living in two worlds right now. One where family and friends are devastated with my second cancer dx and one where I feel so thankful to have two such manageable cancers. I chose to spend as much time as possible in the latter but still get real pissed too.

Dx 11/28/2013, DCIS, Grade 2 Surgery 12/18/2013 Mastectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 2/20/2014 Breast

Nov 25, 2018 08:18PM marijen wrote:

I have two thyroid nodules being watched. They turned up on a pet scan after radiation. One is one cm but covered in calcification. The other has a lot of vascularity but only 4mm. My Endo says there is no correlation between thyroid cancer and BC, but I forget why. I have been told my thyroid is dead by one Endo, the other says it’s thinning. I am wondering if when thyroid is removed how high a dosage of levothyroxine do they put you on? At 75 mcg right now.

Nov 25, 2018 10:58PM TB90 wrote:

Hi Marijen; My endo claims there is a correlation and my recent literature review support this also. But what is strange is that it does not necessarily relate to having radiation. I do not know the answer to dosages of Rx. But may know soon. Meet my endo tomorrow about treatment.

Dx 11/28/2013, DCIS, Grade 2 Surgery 12/18/2013 Mastectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 2/20/2014 Breast

Nov 25, 2018 11:27PM marijen wrote:

Thanks TB90, I’ll look forward to hear about your treatment. Do you by any chance have any pain in your neck? I do.

Nov 30, 2018 11:06PM marijen wrote:

So thyroid doc today Asked him why I don’t get the full panel of thyroid tests and his reply - I don’tknow the answer to your questions. WTF?

Nov 30, 2018 11:34PM TB90 wrote:

Marijen. Your dr should know. Do you have an option to get a second opinion. So frustrating! My endo wants me to have my thyroid removed. Meeting with the surgeon in the New Year. He was very reassuring about the outlook, but I worry about more radiation ( iodized radiation treatment) after radiation for BC. I will be glowing in the dark. Arghh

Nov 30, 2018 11:41PM marijen wrote:

Yes TB I am perplexed by this. I told him I have so many symptoms of low thyroid and they are still there with my levothyroxine treatment. He says well they could be thyroid or something else. Come back in a year. So useless! I am thinking about seeing someone else. Endos are hard to cone by in my area.

I would not want my thyroid removed. Does that mean you have thyroid cancer for sure? Try to research as much as you can before the thyroid surgeon. I have an article from Cure mag I will find for you.

Nov 30, 2018 11:53PM marijen wrote:

TB not sure if this will help you
https://www.curetoday.com/publications/cure/2018/s...

Dec 1, 2018 12:37AM TB90 wrote:

Marijen: Awesome article. I have two tirads 5 modules but came back indeterminate. As do one third. Wonder why such a high rate of uncertain for thyroid biopsies?? Endo feels I am very high risk still and wants thyroid removed. I would jump at this but he indicated that after thyroid removal, I will receive iodinized radiation. I do NOT want more shit in my body. Waiting for surgical consult in Nee Year. Your thoughts?

Dec 1, 2018 01:17AM marijen wrote:

I think go real slow on this turn of events and definitely get a second opinion. Before I got BC I thought surgery was a piece of cake. Now I am leary of more damage to my body of any kind, radiation included. I really feel that doctors have little care for the after effects. That’s off of the top of my head. Maybe tomorrow I will have more to offer.

Dec 1, 2018 02:13AM Law828 wrote:

My pet scans continue to lite-up in the thyroid area (both sides). My surgeon had said that she found more women coming up with thyroid cancer after breast cancer. So I keep getting ultra sounds and biopsy along with bloodwork and all comes out good.

Dx 7/1/2011, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 4/13 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 8/7/2013, IDC, 1cm, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 10/1/2013 Ixempra (ixabepilone), Xeloda (capecitabine) Radiation Therapy Bone

Dec 1, 2018 04:52PM - edited Dec 1, 2018 04:52PM by marijen

Hi Law, thanks for joining us. I did not know you can have more than one biopsy. Thx. TB, if it's indeterminate I would not want to have it removed unless it is certain and they have a very good argument. Why can't they just remove the nodules first and do a pathology? I wonder.

Dec 1, 2018 08:16PM TB90 wrote:

they do not do lumpectomies on the thyroid. Too bad it's not an option. They do at times remove half the thyroid. I am going to look into all options as there is time and I certainly do not feel the sense of urgency I had with BC.

Dec 3, 2018 12:16AM marijen wrote:

Surgery for thyroid cancer

There are a few different types of surgeries that may be used to treat thyroid cancer.

• Lobectomy: For small, well differentiated tumors that have not spread beyond the thyroid gland, a lobectomy may sometimes be performed. In this type of thyroid cancer surgery, the lobe containing the cancer is removed, leaving the other healthy lobe behind. This can reduce the need to take thyroid hormone treatment after surgery, since a functioning part of the thyroid remains.
  • Thyroidectomy: In this procedure, most or all of the thyroid gland is removed by surgery (total, near-total or subtotal thyroidectomy). This type of surgery for thyroid cancer is used for most patients. However, because very little or no functioning thyroid tissue is left behind, patients will need to take daily thyroid hormone replacement pills afterwards.
  • Lymph node removal: When the surgeon suspects that the thyroid cancer cells have spread to nearby lymph nodes, they will remove the enlarged or suspicious nodes in order to remove as much of the cancer as possible. This thyroid cancer surgical procedure is usually performed at the same time as the surgery on the primary tumor.
Found at cancercenter.co

Dec 11, 2018 02:21PM TB90 wrote:

Yes they do lobectomy but not lumpectomy. They do not simply take out the nodule with a margin, but half the thyroid. Going for a second opinion. Thanks for your response!

Page 2 of 2 (46 results)