We are 218,757 members in 81 forums discussing 154,917 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Anyone else with thyroid cancer too?

Forum: Breast Cancer with Another Diagnosis or Comorbidity — Meet others who have breast cancer but also have another health diagnosis/comorbidity such as diabetes, MS, bipolar disorder, HIV or AIDS, Parkinson's Disorder, schizophrenia, etc.

Posted on: Nov 11, 2013 06:06PM

MusicLover wrote:

When I met my oncologist for the first time I joked to his receptionist that I must have reached my expiration date. Well, I just found out that I have thyroid cancer too. I was so upset that I left his office without a copy of the biopsy report so I don't even know what type it is but I do know that he said it is not an aggressive kind. Ultimately, I guess this is not a big deal but I was certain that the biopsy was going to come back benign. I had found on the web that thyroid nodules benign or malignant come up as a hypermedabolic on PET scans but sure enough my parts are expiring one by one. I will find out more after Thanksgiving but they will probably take the nodule and the thyroid out. I looked up some information on the web about thyroid cancer and there is a relationship between the thyroid and the breasts, so I'm just curious if anyone else has had thyroid cancer too? Thanks for listening to my whining...Sad

As per PET scan, 3 or 4 nodules in the right breast, 2 of which were actually in the middle of my chest, the other 2 were side by side in the breast. Also DCIS in the left breast. Dx 9/23/2013, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, 1/0 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 10/9/2013 Femara (letrozole)

Page 3 of 3 (68 results)

Posts 61 - 68 (68 total)

Apr 1, 2019 02:25PM mudd wrote:

What are the symptoms of thyroid cancer? I'm one year out from finishing chemo for breast cancer and the past week I've have a tightness around my neck like I'm a wearing a turtle neck that doesn't fit. My internist felt my neck and said there was no swelling or lumps or lymph node swelling and said it could be anxiety. Are these symptoms of cance? I'm in a panic and trying to get an appointment with the oncologist or is that crazy. At my last visit a month ago he said everything felt ok and all the thyroid tests were normal. Anyone every have this/

Apr 1, 2019 06:32PM - edited Apr 1, 2019 11:59PM by ceanna

Mudd, sorry you are worried. It's hard not to think the worse after BC. Thyroid cancer can have a variety of symptoms and blood work would show if you are experiencing problems. If the doctor's tests and exam didn't show anything, you may want to try to see if the tight feeling could be relieved by exercise, chiropractor, massage, or time. Thyroid cancer is not a fast mover, so you have time at your advantage to see if you can get relief another way. Please let us know how you're doing. Take care. Ceanna

Dx 2014, IDC, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy Multi-catheter Surgery Lumpectomy: Right

Apr 1, 2019 07:36PM TB90 wrote:

Mudd: Just had my thyroid removed as very high risk for cancer. So I studied signs, symptoms, etc. My understanding is that by the time you experience physical symptoms, your dr should be able to feel a distinct nodule. So chances are overwhelming that this is not cancer. It very well could be anxiety. Ensure you get to the bottom of this so that your anxiety can be addressed.

Dx 11/28/2013, DCIS, Grade 2 Surgery 12/18/2013 Mastectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 2/20/2014 Breast

Apr 13, 2019 05:11PM marijen wrote:

November 9, 2018

Genetic Test Helps Identify Benign vs Malignant Thyroid Nodules HealthDay News — A multigene genomic classifier (GC) test for thyroid nodules with indeterminate cytology shows high sensitivity and negative predictive value, according to a study published online Nov. 8 in JAMA Oncology.

David L. Steward, MD, from the University of Cincinnati Medical Center, and colleagues conducted a prospective study at 10 medical centers to determine the diagnostic accuracy of a GC test (ThyroSeq v3) for cytologically indeterminate thyroid nodules. A total of 256 patients with 286 nodules met the eligibility criteria; central pathology review was performed on 274 nodules.

The researchers found that 72% of the 286 nodules were benign, 24% were malignant, and 4% were noninvasive follicular thyroid neoplasms with papillary-like nuclei (NIFTP). Overall, 257 nodules (154 Bethesda III, 93 Bethesda IV, and 10 Bethesda V) had informative GC analysis; 61 and 39% were classified as negative and positive, respectively. The test demonstrated a 94% sensitivity and 82% specificity in Bethesda III and IV nodules. The negative predictive value was 97%, and the positive predictive value was 66% with a cancer/NIFTP prevalence of 28%. The 3% false-negative rate was comparable to that of benign cytology.

"Beyond simply differentiating benign and malignant nodules, the study shows that ThyroSeq also provides a detailed genetic profile of the positive nodules," Steward said in a statement. "ThyroSeq potentially allows physicians to employ a precision medicine approach, modifying treatment for each patient based on the mutations present."

Apr 18, 2019 01:21AM ellientta wrote:

I just wanted to say Hello to everyone on these boards. I was diagnosed with papillary thyroid cancer that had spread extensively to the lymph nodes in my neck at 25. I was just diagnosed with breast cancer a couple of weeks ago at 39. I had my my thyroid removed in the first surgery, followed by radioactive iodine treatment, followed by a second surgery to clean out the lymph nodes on the left side of my neck. I'm happy to answer any questions anyone has about the treatment and follow-up if it is useful. It really seems like a breeze compared to BC so far. Good luck to everyone dealing with both diagnoses.

Dx 3/27/2019, IDC, Right, 12mm, Stage III, Grade 1, ER+/PR+,HER2-

Apr 21, 2019 02:18AM Rondeezee wrote:

Hello All,

I wanted circle back and let you know that my Tirads 5 thyroid nodule turned out to be benign. Many thanks to all who responded to my post...you really comforted me through the wait for my results. My endocrinologist thinks that I have hyperparathyroidism and as such I will soon have a nuclear scan to check to see which of my four parathyroid glands are acting up. More to come...

Dx 3/28/2018, DCIS/IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 8/16/2018 Mastectomy; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap

Apr 21, 2019 08:17PM ceanna wrote:

Hi Eillientta, welcome to this thread. Sorry you had to go through all this also. Sorry the BC treatment is difficult. We can get through both diagnoses!

Rondeezee, thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear the thyroid nodule is benign. I'm glad you're following up on the parathyroidism problems. For years after having my thyroid cancer surgery, I was told I had a thyroid nodule, had repeated scans and tests which didn't show what they expected, but it ultimately turned out to be a parathyroid adenoma, which I finally had removed last summer. Solved my high blood calcium level immediately.

Dx 2014, IDC, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy Multi-catheter Surgery Lumpectomy: Right

22 hours ago rrshannon wrote:

I have yet to be diagnosed with thyroid cancer but have multiple nodules and have had multiple biopsies.

I didn't even now I had nodules tell I had a PET scan 4 years ago and the nodules have been slowly growing ever since. In the last 6 months, 3 of which included chemo my largest nodule has grown another .7cm. So once again I will be going in for a biopsy. At some point they will probably have to take out the nodule as it is now 3.6cm. I am now seeing a new endocrinologist to see what their thoughts are as my doctor doesn't know why it is is growing and is pretty confident it is still benign.

Rondeezee glad your biopsy came back benign. Hope you can get some answers from your future tests.

BRCA Negative. Dx 7/2/2003, ILC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 7/11/2003 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 7/23/2003 AC Radiation Therapy 10/30/2003 Dx 12/11/2018, IDC, Right, 2cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH) Chemotherapy 1/17/2019 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 4/15/2019 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement

Page 3 of 3 (68 results)