Join Us

We are 225,032 members in 83 forums discussing 163,852 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Anyone with breast cancer and diverticulitis?

Forum: Breast Cancer with Another Diagnosis or Comorbidity — Meet others who have breast cancer but also have another health diagnosis/comorbidity such as diabetes, MS, bipolar disorder, HIV or AIDS, Parkinson's Disorder, schizophrenia, etc.

Posted on: Dec 11, 2013 03:52PM

daydream wrote:

My lung mets were discovered when I had a routine chest x ray for a preop. I was going to have my sigmoid colon (pretty damaged) removed. Surgery is off for now. I'm very nervous about a flare-up of the diverticulitis during or caused by chemo. I get very sick with the flare-ups. Something else to worry about.

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

Dec 11, 2013 10:52PM shoppygirl wrote:

Daydream

My husband has diverticulitis and stage 4 colon cancer. I know it is a different type of chemo but a lot of the side effects are the same. He had no issues with his diverticulitis during his chemo. He just completed 12 rounds and is currently NED. I hope the same for you

Good luck

Less than 2mm of cancer in the sentinel lymph node. Dx 1/27/2013, IDC, 2cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 1/3 nodes, ER+, HER2- Surgery 2/28/2013 Mastectomy: Left, Right Chemotherapy 4/9/2013 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 8/12/2013 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy 8/20/2013 Breast, Lymph nodes Surgery 1/30/2014 Prophylactic ovary removal Surgery 9/26/2015 Reconstruction (left): Saline implant, Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Saline implant, Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 10/16/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Dec 12, 2013 04:25PM daydream wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I wish you and your husband the best. I get my first dose of Abraxane tomorrow. I

Jul 29, 2018 12:14PM Nicole1966 wrote:

I’m suffering from diverticulitis right now. I got my first AC treatment last Friday. I’ve been in excruciating pain ever since. I see my oncologist on Thursday. Anyone have any answers? Daydream, how did it work out for you

Jul 29, 2018 11:59PM BellasMomToo wrote:

Nicole, here is my story. I found out I had right-sided diverticulosis when I had my first routine colonoscopy at age 51. I was told to eat a high-fiber diet and not to get constipated. I followed that advice and my diverticulosis never bothered me. But then I received the BC dx and things changed...

3 days after my 2nd round of chemo, I experienced (pretty severe) abdominal pain. I also alternated between bad diarrhea and constipation. The pain would last for about 8 days then would completely disappear. Same thing happened for rounds 3 - 5. I would have pain for 8 days then it would go away. But after the 6th and final round, the pain went away but I still had discomfort. So my MO sent me for a US, and then an abdominal CT. The CT showed an abscess near my colon so I had to go to the ER and get admitted. In the hospital they inserted a CT-guided drain and gave my IV antibiotics. They kept me for 4 days. The internist at the hospital said that she's pretty sure it was caused by chemo cause she sees this fairly often.

I recovered and thought everything was OK. Then 10 months later I sort of passed out at DunkinDonuts and went to the ER via ambulance. Another CT scan showed that I had another abscess. So they inserted another CT-guided drain and gave me IV antibiotics gain and kept me for 5 days. After I was released I had to stay on IV antibiotics for another 10 days then switched to oral antibiotics for another 2 weeks.

It's unlikely (but possible) that the 2nd abscess was really the 1st abscess that never went away and that's why they put me on a longer antibiotics protocol. I had another colonoscopy that only revealed diverticulosis/diverticulitis -- no polyps or anything else. I really don't know what caused the 2nd abscess -- I didn't even have pain.

The surgeon assigned to me in the hospital insisted that I have surgery to remove the damaged part of the colon. I got a 2nd opinion (who said the same thing). Because I never had the typical signs of diverticulitis and I really don't want another attack (and CT scans have alot of radiation and the heavy-duty antibiotics can have serious SEs) I decided to have surgery.

Last month I had a laparoscopic colectomy. The surgeon removed about 9 inches of colon. I recovered fairly quickly (4 weeks). He thinks I won't have another attack.

I'm pretty sure that chemo caused my diverticulitis. Maybe not the drugs themselves, but their SE of constipation.

Dx'd at age 56. Tumor found by my annual mammogram -- cancer can grow fast! Dx 10/6/2016, IDC, Left, 2cm, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Dx 10/6/2016, DCIS, Left, Stage 0, ER+/PR- Targeted Therapy 11/1/2016 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 11/1/2016 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 11/1/2016 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Surgery 3/27/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left

Jul 30, 2018 12:16AM wrenn wrote:

Daydream hasn't been on the forum since 2013 so likely won't see your question Nicole. I would call your oncologist sooner than Thursday so you can be treated if you aren't already. I hope it clears up soon. It is very painful.

Since I had had diverticulitis before cancer my oncologist told me to keep an eye out for it during chemo. A few days after my first dose I was in hospital with diverticulitis and the oncologist discontinued the chemo.

I'm pretty sure my neuropathy was caused by the cipro/flagyl antibiotics used to treat it.

It is good to hear that removing part of the colon solved your problem Bellasmom.

Metaplastic IDC Triple negative...Tumour is 1.5cm. BMX Aug. 16th. Chemo cancelled after one dose due to complications. Dx 7/25/2013, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/6 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 8/16/2013 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)