We are 197,863 members in 81 forums discussing 145,395 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Breast Cancer with Another Diagnosis or Comorbidity → Topic: Anyone here with another primary cancer diagnosis??

Topic: Anyone here with another primary cancer diagnosis??

Forum: Breast Cancer with Another Diagnosis or Comorbidity — Meet others who have breast cancer but also have another health diagnosis/comorbidity such as diabetes, MS, bipolar disorder, HIV or AIDS, Parkinson's Disorder, schizophrenia, etc.

Posted on: Mar 22, 2014 03:49PM

Sinsin wrote:

Anyone here with another primary cancer diagnosis?? Testing to see if I do right now. :(

I follow the Nemo Mantra, "Just keep swimming." Dx 1/14/2014, IDC, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 3/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/12/2014 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 3/17/2014 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin) Chemotherapy 4/28/2014 Taxol (paclitaxel)

Page 7 of 7 (187 results)

Posts 181 - 187 (187 total)

Dec 5, 2017 08:36PM - edited Dec 5, 2017 08:41PM by chronicpain

As I just discovered this thread today and am new to the forum, I will chime in with a couple things:

1. It would be good to know how old people are ( if they are willing to disclose), when they post replies ( I ' ll start, I am 63). As people's life expectancies have gone up, we have been seeing more cancers, as they are living long enough for either mutations to occur, genetic predispositions to get expressed especially in middle-aged and elderly, and/or for environmental exposures to cause delayed cancer, including tobacco. Around 1900 there was not much cancer, much less dual cancer, per population statistics, as people died of other things, on average with age 47-48 life expectancy in the U.S., and life expectancy was still only around 64 in the 1930's when social security was implemented, compared with around 80 or so now. Older people like me, get more cancers, and age is a huge risk for BC. I understand I need to die of something at some point, and anticipate more problems, am just hoping to get to my 80th in decent shape :)

I have had multiple skin cancers the last few years, and since my beautiful southern CA blonde sister died of metastatic melanoma within 8 months of diagnosis, I have been preoccupied with my skin cancer treatment and monitoring, and other illnesses, and thus neglected the mammogram for 3 years, also because it hurt too much. Have neglected getting colonoscopy, may do FIT stool testing for colon CA as a compromise instead until I have healed from my BC surgery and can get wiggled around on a colonoscopy table.

I did the Color genetic testing commeneted on above, negative.

2. Are there any veterans on this forum ( or married to some?) Viet Nam vets who were in country during the war were presumptively exposed to Agent Orange, a carcinogen, and can get cancers ( and pensions) for lung cancer, head and neck cancer, prostate, bladder, and renal cancer, and various hematological malignancies. The list of service-connected cancers keeps growing. Gulf War veterans may also have been exposed to cacrinogens, same with Iraq and Afghanistan ( there were more women in those wars than in Nam) and it remains unclear what if any carcinogens were there, some of the guys who were there are trying to make a case any cancer they get is related, TBD if true and which ones.

3. Other recognized risks for cancers besides genes are also important to note. I have had excess BMI around 27-28 the last 10 years (overweight category), a risk for BC, and also drank a glass of wine daily and sometimes more (it's wine country CA!) prior to diagnosis, both risks for BC, and was on estrogen for 17 years prior to diagnosis, another risk.

I also had therapies for autoimmune diseases, another risk for skin cancer at least, as was my outdoorsy, sunblock-hating behavior

Dx 10/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 11/22/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Hormonal Therapy

Dec 6, 2017 12:38PM lekker wrote:

Hi chronic. I will try to answer your questions...

1. I’m 48 now. I was 30 with the colon cancer and 42 with the breast cancer. Both 20 years younger than average so aging wasn’t a factor for me. I had BRCA testing through Myriad (back when the had the monopoly) and 40 other genes tested with the Broca panel from U of Washington - no mutations detected.

2. I am not a veteran. In addition to the issues you posted, there’s also an acknowledgment from the military that people stationed at Camp Lejune (staff and dependents) have a known risk for breast cancer and can receive compensation of diagnosed. I have a distant relative that was exposed to Agent Orange and he ended up with testicular cancer that was treated more than 20 years ago and he is fine today.

3. I was at a great BMI at both diagnoses. My mother smoked til I was 12 so maybe that was a factor (but my older brother has never had cancer). I got my period at 11 which is considered a risk factor. I was on birth control pills for many years which might be a link (but is considered protective for ovarian and uterine cancer she which is good). I had two pregnancies after 30 (bad) and breastfed each for just over a year (good).

Colorectal carcinoma in situ January 2000 (age 30), and now this... Dx 7/2012, ILC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/6/2012 Lumpectomy: Right Surgery 10/3/2012 Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 3/12/2013 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Surgery 4/11/2013 Prophylactic ovary removal

Dec 9, 2017 04:28AM - edited Dec 9, 2017 04:31AM by Bea45

It's 4:17 am and I can barely sleep since I was given the BC diagnosis. A few weeks before the diagnosis I started to feel back pain. The pain/discomfort continues. It tavels from my back to my lower right abdomen area. Even though I was diagnosed with Stage I BC, negative nodes, I'm terrified I might have it somewhere else. My BS has been very dismissive. I am having my 1st appointment with the oncologist in 2 weeks to discuss Oncotype and treatment options. I want to have this pain checked and I'm wondering which types of test I should request to rule out cancer in other areas.

Dx 10/20/2017, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 9, 2017 04:36AM Traveltext wrote:

Generally an MRI will show if there is any cancer in other parts of your body. But that pain needs to be persistent and progressive over two weeks before you should worry. Given that this is about the time you will be seeing your onc, you should bring this up then if pain persists. Meanwhile, don't assume the worst, even though I fully understand this is hard.

Have breast & prostate cancer. NED both. More on Male BC

Dx 03/14, IBC, L. 2cm, S IIIB, G 2B, ER+/PR+, HER2- FEC x3, Taxol x3

Mx & 2/23 nodes 07/14

Rads x 33 09/14 and now on Tamox

Dec 9, 2017 06:18AM 2FUN wrote:

I agree with traveltext. Keep notes about your symptoms, not to obsess about it, but so you have some objective data when you see your MO. Try to eat, sleep, exercise etc. Trying to manage the stress (for me it was long walks) will help you.feel better as you sort out all the options. Keep us posted.

Hormonal Therapy Surgery

Dec 16, 2017 06:41AM Dunes wrote:

I'm new to this group. I am so sorry to read of your so many challenges. i was dx W/ BC in April 2017, mastectomy in May. October 2017 I was dx with melanoma. (Acral lentiginous) So I have two synchronous primaries. Oncologist says it's an unfortunate coincidence. Nodes are clear both sentinel for breast and for foot. Dr says no need for further testing. Thoughts? Also, DSW1976, how are you? I'm wondering what you've found about Acral Lentiginous?

Best thoughts to all

12 hours ago lekker wrote:

Dunes - sorry to have to welcome you here. Melanoma on the sole of the foot is pretty rare isn’t it? Was your surgery quite extensive or not too bad

Colorectal carcinoma in situ January 2000 (age 30), and now this... Dx 7/2012, ILC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/6/2012 Lumpectomy: Right Surgery 10/3/2012 Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 3/12/2013 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Surgery 4/11/2013 Prophylactic ovary removal

Page 7 of 7 (187 results)