We are 196,386 members in 81 forums discussing 144,722 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Breast Cancer with Another Diagnosis or Comorbidity → Topic: additional treatments with Stage 1 IDC and have Lupus

Topic: additional treatments with Stage 1 IDC and have Lupus

Forum: Breast Cancer with Another Diagnosis or Comorbidity — Meet others who have breast cancer but also have another health diagnosis/comorbidity such as diabetes, MS, bipolar disorder, HIV or AIDS, Parkinson's Disorder, schizophrenia, etc.

Posted on: May 18, 2017 09:13AM

ksmith6912 wrote:

Recently diagnosed with Stage 1 invasive ductal carcinoma. The discussion with my team right now is about treatment (most likely lumpectomy). i have lupus so my concern is with radiation therapy and lupus. What are my other options? Anyone have similar situations post-lumpectomy?

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

May 18, 2017 11:09AM SummerAngel wrote:

I have mixed connective tissue disease. My doctors, both the surgeon and the oncologist, spoke to my rheumatologist after I was diagnosed and because I have skin involvement decided I should have a mastectomy (this was before they found the tumor in the other breast) to try to avoid radiation if at all possible.

Age at dx: 45. Oncotype, left-side tumor: 9. Right side had multifocal IDC and "extensive" LCIS. Isolated tumor cells in 1 right-side node. Dx 4/3/2015, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Dx 4/27/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 6/1/2015 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery 6/1/2015 Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 8/27/2015 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting, Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Silicone implant Surgery 12/3/2015 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting, Nipple reconstruction; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Nipple reconstruction

Jun 1, 2017 08:22AM pingpong1953 wrote:

I had a lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy (one positive) and was going to have radiation, but the RO told me that my lupus makes me a bad, bad candidate for rads. So I'm going to have a mastectomy and lymph node resection instead. I was upset at first, but I rolled it around in my brain during my drive home from the hospital and I'm OK with it. Although surgery doesn't always go off without a hitch, radiation has so many more unknowns. The fact that the side effects are on a 2-week "delay" isn't encouraging. Even if you stop when you start to have nasty symptoms, that train is going to keep thundering down the track for another 2 weeks. Scary!

Dx 4/12/2017, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/1/2017 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 7/4/2017 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery

Jun 20, 2017 12:57PM Bluebird-DE wrote:

Just completed radiation in two areas so I could breathe. I told both rads onc and hema onc that I have Lupus-like flares from sun exposure (though I have not been diagnosed) and neither said not to do the rads. Maybe bcz I was in more need of breathing? I suppose that's it. Now I feel very worried that I did have the rads and what my future holds. Am just now coming out of a flare so to speak that started at the end of the last radiation. Joints, muscles, exhaustion, cough again.

"Every mistake I have made has proven to be invaluable information for someone. Namely, me." Me Dx 7/15/2011, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IV, metastasized to liver/lungs/other, Grade 3, 3/11 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Targeted Therapy Ibrance (palbociclib) Hormonal Therapy Faslodex (fulvestrant) Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy External: Lymph nodes Chemotherapy Xeloda (capecitabine) Surgery Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Left

Aug 13, 2017 11:19AM stotamom wrote:

Another here with lupus. I was scheduled to have radiation but declined. I did way too much research and was not about to have it unless it was necessary to continue living. It was a hard choice as I was getting mixed messages from different doctors.

Dx 10/21/2015, DCIS/IDC/Paget's, Right, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 1/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Surgery 11/4/2015 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 12/15/2015 AC + T (Taxol) Targeted Therapy 2/23/2016 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy 2/23/2016 Herceptin (trastuzumab)

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)