We are 215,400 members in 81 forums discussing 153,222 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: New BC diagnosis with existing RA disease

Forum: Breast Cancer with Another Diagnosis or Comorbidity — Meet others who have breast cancer but also have another health diagnosis/comorbidity such as diabetes, MS, bipolar disorder, HIV or AIDS, Parkinson's Disorder, schizophrenia, etc.

Posted on: Aug 14, 2018 10:31AM

Whammyx2 wrote:

Is there anybody out there that has both breast cancer and a previous diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis? I am just curious how doctors have developed a treatment plan or deal with these 2 conditions at once. I am not sure which disease to fear most.

I'm new to this website and I've recently been diagnosed with DCIS Stage 0 grade 3 breast cancer. I'll be going for a lumpectomy this week and have been told by my surgeon that because the cancer was caught in an early stage and it hasn't spread beyond the ducts that I will be needing radiation and hormone therapy. The pathology report showed that I was positive for both estrogen and progesterone receptors and was told that was a good ithing because it could be treated with hormone therapy. The medical oncologist said he would use Anastrazole in his treatment of the hormones even though he mentioned that it could cause joint pain. I've already had RA for several years now and can't imagine having to deal with any increased joint pain due to medication for treating breast cancer. For the past 6 years I've been on Methotrexate and Humira for my RA and when I messaged my rheumatologist letting him know of my new diagnosis he immediately replied that I would have to discontinue the Humira. I'll be see my rheumatologist next month to discuss his plan on how he will go about treating my RA now. I've started researching what having both these conditions might mean for an individual and it doesn't sound too reassuring. In the meantime, I was just wondering if there's anyone out there who has had to deal with these two conditions together at the same time?

Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (6 results)

Posts 1 - 6 (6 total)

Log in to post a reply

Aug 14, 2018 05:42PM - edited Aug 14, 2018 05:44PM by Golfnut33

hi whammyx2

Wow we are similar! I have DCIS stage 0 grade 3 >5cm. Already had a lumpectomy and have to have another to get clear margins then radiation. No hormone receptor status as BS doesn't believe it's relevant for DCIS. I also won't be having hormone therapy.

I have PSA and have been on methotrexate and Humira for 2 years. I did speak to my rheumatologist when I was initially diagnosed with ADH and he did also say that I would have to give up Humira if diagnosed with cancer - I'm not sure about his approach for DCIS but am seeing him in October so will continue with Humira until then.

I cannot imagine giving this up as I was in severe pain before and really for DCIS I would rather take my chances but I suspect I will have no say in the decision. I do however go to one of the leading specialists for PSA (psoriatic arthritis) so am really hoping he has some good options!!

Please keep me posted on your treatment plan.

I definitely fear the arthritis more but that’s just me ..

Dx 4/2018, LCIS/DCIS, Right, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3
Log in to post a reply

Aug 14, 2018 10:36PM Whammyx2 wrote:

Hi Golfnut33,

I am so glad to hear from you. Based on what you shared it seems like you're just starting this BC journey as well. I'm sorry to hear that you have to go back for another lumpectomy to get clear margins. How long do you have to wait between surgeries? The breast surgeon that I have did warn me that that could happen to a patient but it sounded like it wasn't afrequent occurance. I'll be having my lumpectomy in just a few days and I'm already stressed because I can't take ibuprofen now and the pain is building especially with making walking miserable. I'm recovering from a total knee replacement that I had a couple of months ago so I still have some inflammation from that as well.

I had my first meeting with all my doctors last week to hear what kind of plan they all decided for me based on the mammogram and pathology reports. The team consisted of the breast surgeon, medical oncologist, and radiologist. I had left encouraged hearing that the cancer was in the earliest stage and apparently noninvasive at the present time.The medical oncologist informed me that he could use a drug called Anastrozole to block the estrogen and progesterone receptors, so that was the good news. The bad news was that one of the side effects of this drug is that it causes joint pain. I am not eager to hear this news and will consult with my trusted rheumatologist next month.

I have discontinued my Humira but still take methotrexate and the folic acid. I'm okay with giving up the Humira if he thinks that that had contributed breast cancer but I wonder if he'll have anything in its place to offer. Like you, I worry about the effects of giving up Humira up will have on my body. I have so much chronic pain most days that I no longer can enjoy going for walks or other activities that I enjoyed doing on a regular basis. Because our arthritic diseases are not curable but hopefully controlled with medication, we can only hope that a plan can be formulated to work together to control these conditions. Is ADH another medical condition that you need a special doctor for?

Just looking ahead to the radiation aspect of treatment for this DCIS, are you concerned about being a methotrexate and having radiation to skin that can burn more severely because of this medication? I'm discovering that there is so much to think about with this new diagnosis and many questions pop up as I read about other people's experiences.

Please keep me posted on how you are progressing. Best of luck with your next lumpectomy.




Log in to post a reply

Jan 11, 2019 08:22AM - edited Jan 11, 2019 10:12PM by Labmom82

I was diagnosed in October with IDC Stage 1. I have had RA for 15 years and tried many meds and most cause me stomach issues and the only thing that really works well for me is Enbrel. I have been off it since the diagnosis and only on the dreaded prednisone. I am flaring pretty much daily. It is out of control. The steroid shot only helps for a day or two. I just started radiation yesterday and my treatment is 20 visits so 4 weeks. They will not put me on any other RA meds until it is completed and they are discussing whether I can go back on Enbrel or not. Have any of you been able to go back on your biologics?

Dx 10/18/2018, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/25/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 1/9/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)
Log in to post a reply

Jan 14, 2019 08:55PM Whammyx2 wrote:

Hi Labmom82,

I was on Humira for about 5 years but was taken off as soon as I told my Rheumatologist about my BC. I wasn't too upset at the time because I was trying to tell him that I didn't think it was working as well as before but my lab tests were normal he said I should continue. I was also on Methotrexate also and was told to continue just with that with a slight dosage increase. I went through 20 weeks of radiation but had a quit Methotrexate as well because there can be increased burning while on it. I finished my treatments in October and went back on MTX afterward but I was flaring more in neck, shoulders, knees. feet and ankles. My RA doc didn't offer Prednisone because probably because of a recent total knee replacement and risking infection. All I know is that being off my biologic for 3 weeks for surgery and then off MTX for a month for radiation helped to increase widespread pain issues. A few weeks ago I was put on a DMARD medication called Leflunomide to trial that until I see him in 3 months. About the same time I started taking Turmeric because of it anti inflammatory properties (I cleared it with my RA doc first) but I can't tell much of a difference yet. I was told it could take up to 3 months to feel any effects of the Leflunomide. I would take Ibuprofen sparingly for pain but after read the drug information I am afraid to.

I sometimes get discouraged because of the pain issues and how RA has changed my life and then have that compounded with a BC diagnosis besides. This site has so much information and support regarding breast cancer but it is difficult to find much on the internet regarding both diseases together and what to expect.

I wish you well with you radiation treatments and hope your doctor gets you off the Prednisone soon and maybe offer another solution. I, like you,dread being on prednisone but sometimes it is needed and it helps get thru the difficult days.

How is Tamoxifen working out for you? I was offered Armidex at first but didn't want to start that after reading about the joint and muscle pains side effects and many comments on the forum here. Then my MO offered Tamoxifen but that scares me as well. I did see an article that it could be effective at a lower dose so I may approach him about it next visit. I am very cautious right now with meds.

Let me know how your treatments goes.

Log in to post a reply

Jan 16, 2019 01:05PM Labmom82 wrote:

Hi Whammyx2. Most of the time my RA has been pretty well controlled with Enbrel with occasional flare ups when I over do things. In 2016, it was so controlled I only had to take it every other week. 2017 hit and the RA went crazy about the same time I started having chronic GERD and sinusitis/postnasal drip. Still suffering with both of those issues as well. The constant pain daily is wearing on me on top of the BC diagnosis. It goes from my shoulders, hands/wrists and knees/feet/hips in a matter of hours or days. I don't think I have had one full day without something flaring up since I stopped the Enbrel. I got zero sleep last night because my shoulder is flaring and I can't move it. (Which radiation will be interesting today having to put my arm above my head. They will have to move it for me while I just scream a little LOL). Something has got to give soon. I am not certain I can go over three more weeks on the dose of prednisone I am on. I hate bumping it up because that means longer time to get off it as you have to taper off. I haven't found anything yet that shows me I shouldn't take the Enbrel once I complete radiation. MO thinks I will be able to but also thinks I should try rituximab but I am not sure I want to.

As far as Tamoxifen, I won't start that until I complete radiation. I hate meds in general and my body is very sensitive to them so I tend to get lots of the side effects which makes me more cautious.


Dx 10/18/2018, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/25/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 1/9/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)
Log in to post a reply

Jan 16, 2019 01:20PM kcrd4766 wrote:

Sorry to hear you are feeling so discouraged. You may also want to consider the absorption of turmeric (and all supplements). A hydro-soluble formula absorbs better.

Page 1 of 1 (6 results)