Posted on: Feb 7, 2019 12:09AM
I was scheduled to have a left mastectomy and alnd with tissue expander placement on Wed. 1/30/19. I was in preop with iv, dressed and ready to go. A little background: I have had a cough since August 2018 and was diagnosed with a pulmonary embolism in Oct. 2018 and have continued with a cough and hoarseness since then. I had every test nuimaginable and was cleared by cardio and pulmonary as they could not find a reason. So day of surgery, the anethesiologist overhears me coughing and barely able to speak with nurses due to breathlessness and hoarseness. He comes in and tells me I can't have surgery as there is definitely a problem with my airway and I would likely in up on a ventilator or worse if they went through with surgery. At that moment I cried as this disease has thrown so many curveballs. So they run more tests and everything comes back normal so I go home. By Sunday I am exhausted and short of breath and unable to produce sound when speaking. I go to the Er and was admitted. After more tests, they determine I have diastolic heart failure with preserved ejection fraction(previous echo showed a normal ef which is why surgery was approved). I was discharged today on 40 mg of lasix daily. My question to the group is how long can my surgery safely be delayed? Any experiences with heart failure and Surgery? I have appts with my cardiologist and breast team but would like input from the group.
*I completed dose dense A.C and 9 of 12 taxols on 1/3/19.