Join Us

We are 224,943 members in 83 forums discussing 163,796 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Metastatic breast cancer and cognitive disability

Forum: Breast Cancer with Another Diagnosis or Comorbidity — Meet others who have breast cancer but also have another health diagnosis/comorbidity such as diabetes, MS, bipolar disorder, HIV or AIDS, Parkinson's Disorder, schizophrenia, etc.

Posted on: Feb 20, 2019 03:31AM

Tuisto wrote:

Hi I'm new here and my sister has metastatic breast cancer. She also has Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome, which is childhood-onset epilepsy with multiple seizure types and cognitive impairment. She is 59 years old and has a cognitive age of about 5. I have used the word "cancer" with her, but she has no sense of what that means and I have not explained to her that her disease is fatal. At the moment she seems to be asymptomatic, and I am here to learn more about breast cancer so I can help to anticipate her needs. She was on tamoxifen since her initial diagnosis and mastectomy in 2013, but that clearly did not prevent metastasis. Today I found out that her cancer markers are increasing on letrozole, and so we must consider new treatments,

Any advice or suggestions about dealing with disease progression are welcome.

Page 1 of 1 (1 results)

Posts 1 (1 total)

Feb 20, 2019 10:07AM Moderators wrote:

Dear Tuisto, we're sorry for all you and your sister are going through, but wanted to say welcome! You'll find here a great source of information and support to help you along the way.

As your sister has a metastatic breast cancer we thought you may be interested in also posting in the For Family & Caregivers of Loved Ones With a STAGE IV Diagnosis forum, a place where family members and caregivers of people having a Stage IV diagnosis can share, discuss, and support one another.

We hope this helps!

Best wishes,

From The Mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Page 1 of 1 (1 results)