Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Breast cancer and Bipolar with Anxiety

Options

thought I wad going to have to go to the psychiatric hospital because I couldn't sleep and when I can't sleep I get manic and depressed. Thankfully I have a good doctor that prescribed clonipan and I'm sleeping now without being in the hospital. I think any normal person would be fearful about an upcoming double masectomy but it's a double whammy when you have mental health issues. Thanks for letting me vent.

Comments

• Jenkins00
    Jenkins00 Member Posts: 99
    edited September 2019
    Options

Completely understand. I have anxiety and depression. Thank god my PCP is a wonderful doctor who has helped me this past year. Love her!

With what we are dealing with having a good vent helps!!!

• IAmACat
    IAmACat Member Posts: 43
    edited October 2019
    Options

I feel you about the double whammy. What a word play. Two body parts: boob and head. Two poles: manic and depressed.

• gretchy
    gretchy Member Posts: 11
    edited October 2019
    Options

Thanks for getting it! Peace and health to you.

• dragonfeathers
    dragonfeathers Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2019
    Options

Hello gretchy and all,

I'm very sorry you are dealing with cancer, along with everything else, but I'm very glad you've posted and shared your experiences. Please don't apologize for ranting - it's hard enough dealing with emotional problems, even without adding cancer, and if ranting, screaming, or crying help at all, you've definitely earned the right to do it!

I have Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder, and depression that varies from minor to major (and lots of shame and guilt), and was diagnosed with Stage 1 Tubular Carcinoma a couple of weeks ago. Sometimes I think I'm dealing better with this diagnosis, because it's not stigmatized in the way mental illness is, and I'm being kinder to myself about this than I am about my other issues, because I can't blame myself for this (nor for the mental illnesses, but I still feel ashamed and guilty about those), or “fix" it with a positive attitude or trying harder to be “better" the way even helpful, kind people sometimes seem to imply that you can do with mental illness. (And - if you cry over breast cancer - no one asks if you're taking your meds, because cancer is considered by some people a more valid, “real" reason to be sad than depression...not to compare them, because they're both awful in different ways and no one deserves either, or all the other diagnoses you're dealing with.)

It's so good to have found this thread because - I don't know if any of you feel this way - but I often feel more at home with others who have similar issues, and - even if we all deal with this in different ways, maybe it will be easier to share here those thoughts/reactions that others might not understand.

I hope you're all doing okay and are able to find small pleasures and comforts to help you cope and heal, and hopefully other people in the same boat find this thread and know they're not alone. Smile

• gretchy
    edited November 2019
    Options

AMEN TO WHAT YOU ALL ARE SAYING ABOUT THE "DOUBLE WHAMMY". Praying for us all to have happiness, good health and peace over the holidays and in the New Year!

• dragonfeathers
    dragonfeathers Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2019
    Options

Well said, gretchy, and best wishes to you all! :)

(By the way, I hope this doesn’t sound trivializing, but - when I was a kid - there was a game show called “Press Your Luck”, and Whammies were nasty little creatures who laughed and took away good stuff from you if you landed on their squares of the board, so - when you guys mention “Double Whammies” - I picture us with pairs of these jerks on our chests.)

• AnnC2019
    AnnC2019 Member Posts: 93
    edited November 2019
    Options

gretchy,

Sorry to hear about your situation. BP and cancer really sucks because the added stress of having cancer is probably not good for your brain. Have you heard about the magazine BP Hope? If not,check it out

• gretchy
    edited November 2019
    Options

lol Dragonfeathers! I needed the laugh thanks.

• gretchy
    edited November 2019
    Options

Hi Anne I will check out the magazine Hope. Thank you.

• VeeHow
    VeeHow Member Posts: 33
    edited March 2020
    Options

I am Bipolar-Depressed and have a General Anxiety Disorder. I never thought of others who have similar disorders and have to go through BC treatment. I hate that others have to do this but I don’t feel quite so different.

• VeeHow
    VeeHow Member Posts: 33
    edited March 2020
    Options

Great post, I completely relate

• SalliesMom
    SalliesMom Member Posts: 16
    edited February 2022
    Options

Just saw this thread and am hoping it gets me thru the next few weeks. I have Stage 3b and am scheduled for a mastectomy this week, so I am freaking out with anxiety. But what really has me going insane is an oncologist who insists on bringing up a bipolar diagnosis from 30 years ago and telling me I need a shrink. (And putting stuff like this in her notes.) I fired my last oncologist for the same reason. Bipolar doesn't define me any more than my cancer dx does. Why is it so easy for a medical professional to stigmatize someone instead of empathize with them because the BC sword of Damacles is hanging over their head? Do they not understand that one does not need to be bipolar to freak out over all that we are going through? Has anyone else had this problem? I find it insulting, kind of unethical, discriminatory, and not at all helpful. But maybe that's because I need to "take my meds"? Lol Anyway, please wish me luck. I've never had major surgery. Or general anesthesia.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,077
    edited February 2022
    Options

Sallie'sMom - I understand where you are coming from about being categorized. However I liked the answer from the other thread where you posted. Many if not most oncologists refer their patients for a psych consult. Breast cancer is a devastating disease and it's very difficult to keep your equilibrium. Most people are glad to have an understanding doc & someone to talk to.