Join Us

We are 224,391 members in 83 forums discussing 163,527 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Crohn’s - double surgery? Resection and lumpectomy

Forum: Breast Cancer with Another Diagnosis or Comorbidity — Meet others who have breast cancer but also have another health diagnosis/comorbidity such as diabetes, MS, bipolar disorder, HIV or AIDS, Parkinson's Disorder, schizophrenia, etc.

Posted on: Sep 28, 2020 03:15AM

Cari845 wrote:

Diagnosed with Crohn’s 30 +years ago. Recently diagnosed with Breast cancer. Trying to get stuff out of the way before lumpectomy/reconstruction etc., I went for a colonoscopy. Very trusted GI is concerned I may have a significant stricture. I need a CT enterography. I’m afraid I will need another bowel resection. Can they do that in the same surgery?

I was supposed to have lumpectomy and reconstruction as one surgery, but..

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Sep 28, 2020 07:28AM Moderators wrote:

Cari, we're sorry you are here for this, but welcome! You've come to the right place for support and help from others who understand what you're going through. Hope you get responses soon. In the meantime, let us know if you need help from us, Mods, you know we are here for you!

Warm wishes,

The Mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Oct 4, 2021 03:55PM mojos wrote:

Hi, I also have had crohn's disease for almost 50 years and have an ileostomy which gave me back my life. I now have stage 4 breast cancer, and had a single mastectomy without reconstruction. I'm on Ibrance and doing very well. Happy to answer any questions based on my personal experience.

Mary Jane

Oct 4, 2021 06:01PM Juju-mar wrote:

cari845,

I too have Crohn's disease. I've been lucky to be in deep remission for the last 29 years. I don't take any meds for it. But I wondered if our auto immune disease allowed cancer to grow? Wonder how many other women have an auto immune issue....I have had 2 Basel skin cancers removed and one very early pre cancerous mole taken off. Other than that, I don't smoke and rarely drink, I exercise daily and try to eat well. good luck to us all!

Juli

Dx 8/27/2020, IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 2/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 10/26/2020 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxol (paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 6/13/2021 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Oct 4, 2021 07:38PM jhl wrote:

Cari,

I don't think they would do both those surgeries at the same time. The bowel resection is a very "dirty" surgery. That doesn't mean the OR is not careful, rather opening the bowel, which contains lots & lots of bacteria, can contaminate other areas of the body with potentially very resistant bacteria. A bowel resection entails a peritoneal flush which is lots of fluid that is then suctioned out. Even though it is suctioned, it is also aerosolized. You DO NOT your lumpectomy being done at the same time.

I think both surgeons will say this combination is a solid no.

Be well,

Jane

Dx 11/15/2019, IDC: Cribriform, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH)

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)