We are 191,772 members in 81 forums discussing 142,792 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: For Family & Caregivers of Loved Ones With a STAGE IV Diagnosis → Topic: Looking for advice for my 26 yr old SIL diagnosed stage4

Topic: Looking for advice for my 26 yr old SIL diagnosed stage4

Forum: For Family & Caregivers of Loved Ones With a STAGE IV Diagnosis —

A place where family members, caregivers, and loved ones of people having a Stage IV (metastatic) diagnosis can share, discuss, and support one another through the tough times unique to this diagnosis.

Posted on: Mar 14, 2017 10:31AM

cortega85 wrote:

Hello, my SIL was diagnosed with stage 4, 7cm in left breast and has mets in her hip bone and liver. She began her first chemo treatment today. My niece and nephew are 7 months old and 2. She wants to do whatever it takes to prolong life and have quality of life. They currently live in VA but may have to opportunity to relocate. My brother is military and they are not around any family. Does anyone have advice? Is there a certain center they should look into? They have been talking about taking her to sloan since we are originally from NY and he could be stationed in NJ so somewhat close to family. I live in FL along with my mom so he could be close to orlando hospitals as well. They are just so young and have no help around them. I want to do so much for them but there is little I can do being far away. They have also chose to keep this a private family matter and haven't told many people.

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Mar 14, 2017 10:45AM SpecialK wrote:

cortega - how heartbreaking that your brother and SIL are facing this at such a young age, so unfair and difficult for them to be far away from family. What are they close to in VA? I ask because I was a military wife for 28 years, and lived in VA for 10 of those, so I am familiar with centers there. I also did a clinical trial through Johns Hopkins and traveled to participate. I now live in FL also, my husband works at MacDill AFB in Tampa.

BMX w/ TE 11/1/10, ALND 12/6/10. 14 additional surgeries. TCHx6 2/17-6/2/11. Herceptin until 1/19/12. Femara 8/1/11, Arimidex 6/20/12, back to Femara 6/18/13-present. Dx 9/27/2010, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 2/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC) Dx 9/27/2010, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 3

Mar 14, 2017 01:09PM Moderators wrote:

Cortega85-

We're so sorry to hear this, what a tragic situation. We hope your SIL and family find the best place for her to be, hopefully near family. We're keeping your family in our thoughts.

The Mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Mar 17, 2017 04:36AM Tara17 wrote:

HI best wishes to you and your brothers family as they begin this journey. SLoan is a good choice -- at such a young age , the doctors there won't leave any stone unturned and she could also have access to the latest clinical trials there. As a practical matter, traveling to Manhattan to the main Sloan campus is not easy with Manhattan traffic and parking, but Sloan has many jersey sites --so check out all the Sloan sites and see if New York may be the right move for your brothers family'. Wishing all of you the best .

Dx IDC, Stage IB, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Surgery Lumpectomy: Left; Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy Taxol (paclitaxel)

Mar 17, 2017 06:16AM ShetlandPony wrote:

Three things I would suggest to your SIL and her husband:

1. Make sure you live where you can be treated at an NCCN center. Being so young, you want an above-average cancer center.

https://www.nccn.org/members/network.aspx

2. Take into account that treatment can make you tired. And that adds extra workload to your spouse. So try to avoid settling where there will be a long commute, a lot of home and yard maintenance, or anything else to make life more demanding that it has to be.

3. Helpful relatives or church members nearby would be a bonus. It's a marathon, and being able to call in help enables you to enjoy a more normal family life.

2011 Stage I ILC ER+PR+ Her2- 1.5 cm grade 1, ITCs sn. Lumpectomy, radiation, tamoxifen. 2014 Stage IV ILC ER+PR+Her2- grade 2, mets to breast, liver, retroperitoneal nodes. Taxol NEAD. 2015,2016 Ibrance+letrozole. 2017 Faslodex+Afnitor; Xeloda

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)