We are 196,325 members in 81 forums discussing 144,696 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: For Family & Caregivers of Loved Ones With a STAGE IV Diagnosis → Topic: What is the survival expectancy for my mom's condition?

Topic: What is the survival expectancy for my mom's condition?

Forum: For Family & Caregivers of Loved Ones With a STAGE IV Diagnosis —

A place where family members, caregivers, and loved ones of people having a Stage IV (metastatic) diagnosis can share, discuss, and support one another through the tough times unique to this diagnosis.

Posted on: May 18, 2017 05:59PM - edited May 20, 2017 09:21AM by MohitTated

MohitTated wrote:

Hello.

My mom was diagnosed with Right Breast cancer in 2004 for the first time (Hormone receptor positive) after which she underwent Mastectomy,chemotherapy and radiation and was on Tamoxifen for 5 Years i.e until 2009. Her ovaries function was nullified in 2007. She was diagnosed with Left breast cancer in 2009 and then she underwent Mastectomy yet again but she refused to undergo chemotherapy. So she was prescribed with Femara for 3 years i.e until 2011. She used to undergo check ups every 6 months and everything seem to be fine.In October 2016 she complained of SOB and chest pain. So i thought its something related to heart as she is hypertensive and diabetic. So got all the tests done but everything was normal. In January X-ray was done and she was diagnosed with Pneumonia and also she developed Lymphoedema in the left hand so the doctors thought its due to double mastectomy. So the doctor had prescribed few anitbiotics. But i could sense there is something wrong in the X-ray so i had consulted our family doctor and he advised for a PET scan. She underwent PET scan and she was diagnosed with Metastatic Breast cancer with mets in her Lungs,Bones (post parietal bone), and also lymph node involvement.It was very heart breaking as this was the third time she getting diagnosed with cancer and this time its the final stage.But then she dint give up and was like i am ready for the treatment.So the chemo is started and she has completed 10 cycles as of now.More 2 to go.After this she is not willing to go for any more chemotherapy as she is suffering a lot with pain in bones, numbness of limbs, pain in her lower jaw and lower back, mental confusion, stammering problem and she has also developed atopic dermatitis during this chemotherapy. Statistics say she would be alive for 6months-18months. One thing is clear i dont want her to suffer the pain which she is facing now and she is not willing to undergo any treatment after completion of this chemotherapy cycle.

Metastatic Breast Cancer Characteristics-

Mets in the both the lungs, bones ( post parietal bone).

MRI done but no evidence of tumor invading to brain parenchyma

ER+, PR+, HER2 +

Chemotherapy Plan-

Paclitaxel weekly (12 doses)

Herceptin once every 3 weeks (4 doses)

Zoledronic acid once every month (3 doses)

Complications she is facing-

Terrible lot with pain in bones

Numbness of limbs

Pain in her lower jaw and lower back

Mental confusion, stammering problem

Episodes of bleeding from nose

Atopic dermatitis during this chemotherapy.

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)

Posts 1 - 7 (7 total)

May 19, 2017 02:21AM Jackster51 wrote:

Mohit, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. I am not Stage IV so I can't offer much info, but I am hoping to bump up this conversation to active, in hopes of someone else coming along.. There are many Stage IV ladies on here doing really well for many years. Hoping the same for your mom. If you don't get a reply, try posting in another section. Bone Mets or Lung mets. All the best for you and your mom.

May 19, 2017 02:29AM - edited May 19, 2017 02:35AM by Meow13

So sorry for you and your Mom. There are many stage 4 members here, they should be able to advise.

Did your Mom ever do herceptin? Given she is her2 positive.

May 19, 2017 02:36AM - edited May 19, 2017 02:38AM by MohitTated

@Meow13 Yeah she has got 4 doses of Herceptin (Trastuzumab)

May 19, 2017 02:37AM - edited May 19, 2017 02:38AM by MohitTated

This Post was deleted by MohitTated.

May 19, 2017 02:37AM MohitTated wrote:

@Jackster51 Means a lot

May 19, 2017 01:43PM Jackster51 wrote:

bumping

May 21, 2017 08:47AM edwards750 wrote:

Bless your heart so sorry about your Mom. I wouldn't get too caught up in stats about her life expectancy. Doctors do tend to give expiration dates sometimes but they are estimates- nothing more, nothing less. I would probably ask them what to expect butas Meow said there are Stage IV ladies on this website who are surviving after many years. They could give you sage advice better than those of us who aren't Stage IV. I am not.

Your mother's quality of life and as pain-free or painless as possible is paramount. I would probably discontinue chemo the second go around too. Enough is enough.

Prayers coming your way for your Mom, you and the family. It's such an insidious disease and becoming an epidemic. They have made strides in treatment and survival rates but they have a long way to go.

Keep the faith and keep us posted.

Diane

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)