We are 206,157 members in 81 forums discussing 148,998 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: For Family & Caregivers of Loved Ones With a STAGE IV Diagnosis → Topic: Wife just diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer at 43

Topic: Wife just diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer at 43

Forum: For Family & Caregivers of Loved Ones With a STAGE IV Diagnosis —

A place where family members, caregivers, and loved ones of people having a Stage IV (metastatic) diagnosis can share, discuss, and support one another through the tough times unique to this diagnosis.

Posted on: Sep 10, 2017 05:47PM

Etxpiney wrote:

she went through treatment for breast cancer and finished about 6 months ok. Everything was going good until she started having headaches. She finally got in for an MRI and they discovered 6 tumors. They removed one but can't do anything with the other 5. She's completed 3 treatments of full brain radiation. So far the side effects have been nausea, extremely painful knees and ankles, & she's getting tired all the time. She is also complaining of feeling out of it. We've had a couple weeks to absorb this but just don't know what to do or expect.

I lost my brother to Brain cancer a couple years ago and had to watch that horrible death. She is saying she doesn't want to die like that. Anyway just ranting.

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)

Posts 1 - 7 (7 total)

Sep 10, 2017 07:47PM Moderators wrote:

Etxpiney, we're terribly sorry for your wife's diagnosis and all you're going through, but so glad you've found us and decided to post. The women and men here are wonderful and have tons of experience and great advice to share, and we hope you can get the strength you need from them.

As a suggestion, you may find the Husbands Corner thread helpful. You'll find many loved ones there managing similar situations.

Wishing you the best!

The Mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Sep 10, 2017 10:51PM - edited Sep 10, 2017 10:52PM by illimae

Etxpiney, I'm sorry to hear about the diagnosis you and your wife are dealing with. Hopefully, there is some treatment offered for the areas where surgery is not an option. Also, although I don't have brain mets myself, there is a group here for that (brain mets sisters), they may have some good insight on treatment and managing SE's.

Diagnosed at 41 Stage IV De Novo Dx 11/16/2016, IDC, Left, 5cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 3, 3/13 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Chemotherapy 1/2/2017 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 1/2/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 1/2/2017 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Surgery 6/26/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary Radiation Therapy 8/10/2017 Breast, Lymph nodes Dx 10/5/2017, IDC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to brain Radiation Therapy 10/20/2017 External: Brain Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Dec 26, 2017 09:00PM Etxpiney wrote:

Just an update on my wife. She went the the radiation sickness and started feeling a little better. We just found out last week that she has cancer on her tail bone also. The doctor said she needs to start chemo. She had an MRI done last week and they gave us the cd to bring to the doctor appointment of Thursday this week. Of course I had to put it in my computer and look at the pictures. Of course I can't tell much of anything except they do have 5 spots marked and I assume they are tumors. I didn't tell her even though she asked because I didn't want to ruin her Christmas.

Dec 26, 2017 09:02PM Etxpiney wrote:

Just an update on my wife. She went through the radiation sickness and started feeling a little better. We just found out last week that she has cancer on her tail bone also. The doctor said she needs to start chemo. She had an MRI done last week and they gave us the cd to bring to the doctor appointment of Thursday this week. Of course I had to put it in my computer and look at the pictures. Of course I can't tell much of anything except they do have 5 spots marked and I assume they are tumors. I didn't tell her even though she asked because I didn't want to ruin her Christmas.

Dec 27, 2017 12:43AM illimae wrote:

Thanks for the update. When I posted above back in September, I stated that I didn’t have brain mets, however, 5 small lesions were discovered in my cerebellum in October. I had gamma knife radiation and they’re responding so far. While, it seems terrible, docs tell me that new treatments and medications are helping us live better and longer. I hope your wife’s docs are able to find a plan that works well for her.

Diagnosed at 41 Stage IV De Novo Dx 11/16/2016, IDC, Left, 5cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 3, 3/13 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Chemotherapy 1/2/2017 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 1/2/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 1/2/2017 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Surgery 6/26/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary Radiation Therapy 8/10/2017 Breast, Lymph nodes Dx 10/5/2017, IDC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to brain Radiation Therapy 10/20/2017 External: Brain Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Dec 27, 2017 08:59PM Etxpiney wrote:

So sorry to hear about that.. It's a terrible disease.. My wife's doctor actually called her today instead of waiting until tomorrow. He said she couldn't have radiation anymore. I'm not real sure what they'll do but they do want her on Chemo for the bone mets. I guess I'll find out more when we go in. I'm not really excited about the level of care in our Medium size city.

Dec 28, 2017 12:29AM ABeautifulSunset wrote:

there are some great and some not so great oncologists. Your wife’s survival is at stake, so if you don’t like what the dr says tomorrow, get yourself to a top notch research hospital for a second opinion. I mean, you should get a second opinion anyway, imho. If you are comfortable with sharing your general location, you may get some good recommendations. I remember what my husband went through when I was in heavy treatment. I feel for you, and of course for your wife. Be strong.

Stefanie

“Sunsets are proof that endings can be beautiful too.” Dx 7/29/2011, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver, ER+/PR+, HER2- Targeted Therapy Afinitor (everolimus) Chemotherapy Xeloda (capecitabine) Chemotherapy Xeloda (capecitabine) Chemotherapy TAC Targeted Therapy Ibrance (palbociclib) Surgery Mastectomy; Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting, Silicone implant, Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Silicone implant, Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane), Faslodex (fulvestrant), Femara (letrozole)

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)