We are 212,141 members in 82 forums discussing 151,797 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Stumped

Forum: For Family & Caregivers of Loved Ones With a STAGE IV Diagnosis —

A place where family members, caregivers, and loved ones of people having a Stage IV (metastatic) diagnosis can share, discuss, and support one another through the tough times unique to this diagnosis.

Posted on: Apr 12, 2018 10:57AM

Hopeintheshadow wrote:

Hello only my second post

My mom has been experiencing low grade fever for almost a week. Neurophils are healthy so we have ruled out neutropenia. No flu A or B stains and no strep. She got a bacterial/viral panel done by an infectious diseas dr last night and will have a CT scan this morning. The Drs (including my father) are stumped at what is causing this fever. Highest was yesterday at 102.4. She was admitted to monitor and has had a constant 99.* fever. Had an ultrasound on her calf that had a Charlie horse (cramping) to make sure that there were no blood clots...that came back clear.

Anyone else’s loved one experience this?

You can read my first post for her background.

Page 1 of 1 (8 results)

Posts 1 - 8 (8 total)

Apr 12, 2018 11:31AM illimae wrote:

I don’t know what medications your mom is taking but I read recently about someone hospitalized with a fever of unknown origin and it turned out to be Gezmar related vasculitis, perhaps you could mention it, so the can confirm. Good luck.

Diagnosed at 41 Stage IV De Novo Dx 11/16/2016, IDC, Left, 5cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 3, 3/13 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Chemotherapy 1/2/2017 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 1/2/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 1/2/2017 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Surgery 6/26/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary Radiation Therapy 8/10/2017 Breast, Lymph nodes Dx 10/5/2017, IDC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to brain Radiation Therapy 10/20/2017 External: Brain Radiation Therapy 4/18/2018 External: Brain Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Apr 12, 2018 12:12PM Hopeintheshadow wrote:

Thank you. I’ll confirm the meds she’s taking. The onc. Actually took her off of one of them when the fever started but kept her on the other. She also has had three antibiotics and they all seem to have failed so far. The one last night I guess we shouldn’t assume didn’t work since it’s only been not even a day.

Apr 12, 2018 12:15PM Hopeintheshadow wrote:

The only symptoms related to vasculitis was the fever. She presents no other symptoms except headache which is not a symptom of vasculitis. I so wish we had an answer.

Thank you I’ll still ask the name of the meds.

Apr 12, 2018 12:27PM Hopeintheshadow wrote:

No it wasn’t Gezmar.

She takes letrozole at night. She was taking Ibrance. But is taking verzenio now instead (twice daily). Her vitals came back and the fever just broke at 98.2. Hopefully that last antibiotic is helping and it won’t spike. Thank you so much for lending an ear. Perhaps it was just the drugs interacting similar to the Gezmar.

Apr 12, 2018 08:03PM Hopeintheshadow wrote:

update on whoever reads this:

CT scans all came back negative.

Panel of bacterial infections and viruses all came back negative

Nothing in CT scans showing abscess of any kind to indicate staph etc from her partial hip replacement almost 2.5 months ago.

Has a migraine from the fever (she gets like that normally)

Has nausea from the chemo pill and didn’t take her med for the nausea. No vomiting.

Apr 12, 2018 09:19PM illimae wrote:

I’m sorry, I hope answers and improvements happen very soon.

Diagnosed at 41 Stage IV De Novo Dx 11/16/2016, IDC, Left, 5cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 3, 3/13 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Chemotherapy 1/2/2017 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 1/2/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 1/2/2017 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Surgery 6/26/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary Radiation Therapy 8/10/2017 Breast, Lymph nodes Dx 10/5/2017, IDC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to brain Radiation Therapy 10/20/2017 External: Brain Radiation Therapy 4/18/2018 External: Brain Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Apr 13, 2018 10:48AM Hopeintheshadow wrote:

Her fever broke late yesterday and all through the night!!

Infectious disease dr said negetaive on the entire panel Ct scans revealed nothing. All clean!

There is literally nothing they can find! I am happy that whatever it was is taking it’s course!

Thank you for lending time to listen me.

Apr 13, 2018 02:42PM illimae wrote:

Great news, scary situation though. Best of luck with future treatments

Page 1 of 1 (8 results)