Join Us

We are 224,976 members in 83 forums discussing 163,816 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Stage IV BC Mets to brain with no knowledge of BC

Forum: Caring for Someone with Stage IV or Mets —

A place where family members, caregivers, and loved ones of people having a Stage IV (metastatic) diagnosis can share, discuss, and support one another through the tough times unique to this diagnosis.

Posted on: Aug 18, 2019 08:20AM

Teri060811 wrote:

My mom went to the ER because she was having weakness in her left arm. Initially they said she had another stroke (she had a previous one in 2008). They decided to keep her over night for observation. Late that night a doctor called my mom and said “I think you have brain cancer”. She had a MRI of her brain and then we were to that what they were seeing indicated that she had cancer somewhere else in her body that metastasized to her brain. A full body CAT scan was done and they did not see cancer as they had expected. The only thing they saw was that a left auxiliary lymph node was dark so they did a biopsy. Biopsy results indicated breast cancer. They did several more breast biopsies which were all negative. They said this can happen because cancer doesn’t play by the rules. They diagnosed it as stage IV breast cancer metastasized to the brain. She begins whole brain radiation Monday. She has over 20 masses in her brain so they felt this was the best option. Friday she sees the oncologist who will most likely recommend chemo. I had breast cancer is 2012. DCIS- HeR2 + and negative for hormone receptors. I had a bilateral mastectomy. I had radiation but no chemo. I’m worried for what lies ahead for my mom, she’s 73.

-Ter

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)

Posts 1 - 2 (2 total)

Aug 18, 2019 10:36AM ElaineTherese wrote:

Hi!

There's an awesome thread on Brain Mets on BCO.org (link below). There are many BC patients on that thread who have been through whole brain radiation. I'm sure they'd be very helpful if you posted over there. ((Hugs)) to you and your Mom.

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/8/topics/777599?page=233#post_5440811

DX IDC June 28, 2014, 5 cm., 1 node tested positive (fine needle biopsy); 0/20 after neoadjuvant chemo + ALND; Grade 3; ER+ PR+ HER2+ Neoadjuvant chemotherapy starting 7/23/14 ACX 4, Taxol X 12, Perjeta X 4; Herceptin: one year Chemotherapy 7/22/2014 AC Targeted Therapy 9/16/2014 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy 9/16/2014 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 9/16/2014 Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 1/11/2015 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary Hormonal Therapy 2/24/2015 Aromasin (exemestane), Zoladex (goserelin) Radiation Therapy 3/8/2015 Breast, Lymph nodes

Aug 18, 2019 12:14PM edwards750 wrote:

So sorry for your Mom. What a horrifying shock.

My sister just had her 3rd recurrence since 2012. We are devastated and heartbroken esp since it’s in the liver, it’s a large mass and it’s aggressive. The liver has caused problems for the one kidney she has now so chemo is not an option although they had her scheduled for 4 rounds initially. After 2 they discovered it was having zero impact on the tumor.

She’s having dialysis treatments which have gotten her numbers up but there is nothing that they can do toremove the cancer. She had suffered so.

We are praying for a miracle.

Diane

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)