Join Us

We are 225,050 members in 83 forums discussing 163,855 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Book: How to Starve Cancer by Jane McLelland

Forum: Caring for Someone with Stage IV or Mets —

A place where family members, caregivers, and loved ones of people having a Stage IV (metastatic) diagnosis can share, discuss, and support one another through the tough times unique to this diagnosis.

Posted on: Sep 8, 2019 04:50PM

cancermomjam wrote:

My 29-year-old daughter has Stage IV breast cancer with metastases to the lungs. I have been reading this book and find it VERY interesting and hopeful, and it makes sense to me. The author has kept herself alive for 15 years (and continues to do well) after a Stage IV diagnosis when even her MD sister thought she would be dead in a year. She is not a statistical outlier. When she once let up on her own therapies, her cancer markers came back. She went back to what she was doing, and they reduced again.

I want to find an oncologist on the east coast (my daughter is in Boston) who incorporates Jane's therapies along with traditional therapy. So if anyone knows someone, or has a connection that might be able to help me, I would really appreciate the info.

My daughter's oncologist is recommending a CDK-6 inhibitor for her. (Daughter is estrogen positive, progesterone and HER-2 negative). If anyone knows of a cancer patient getting this therapy who is bolstering this with a non-traditional therapy(ies), I would really like to hear about that. I would also like to hear about anyone getting (or who has had) the CDK-6 inhibitor therapy about anything to watch out for, stuff they wish they knew before, that kind of thing.

Thank you all. Alison

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Sep 8, 2019 06:11PM santabarbarian wrote:

Alison look up the Care Oncology Clinic. They do Jane's protocol. You can get it in the UK or the USA.

Hugs to you. Wishing your D energy and healing!

pCR after neoadjuvant chemo w/ integrative practices; Proton rads. Dx 7/13/2018, IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- (FISH) Chemotherapy 8/12/2018 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 12/27/2018 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 2/10/2019 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Sep 8, 2019 06:50PM BevJen wrote:

Alison,

Care Oncology Clinic, as santabarbarian wrote, is not a traditional oncological clinic. Their care is supplementary. If you daughter is okay with her current oncologist, this would be supplementary treatment.

I believe that what you are saying has been recommended is a CDK 4/6 inhibitor. I am on one of those (Ibrance) and I'm in my second cycle. You have to take that with another drug that your oncologist will talk to her about. The biggest problem that seems to arise is lowered white and red blood cells. You take the pills for 21 days, and then you have 7 days off. You can check out information about Ibrance at the Ibrance thread on this website.

Another person to check out is Dr. Keith Block in the Chicago area. He is a well known (and published) oncologist who practices integrative cancer treatment, combining both standard treatment and complementary therapies. He also has a website and you can do consultations with him in person in the Chicago area or on the phone.

Hope this helps, and good luck to your daughter.

Microwave Ablations,Liver 3x ;Radiation Therapy to Femur (Both) April 2021; total hip replacement (R) and placement of rod (L) to stabilize femur both sides; immunotherapy (single agent - keytruda) Dx 11/2003, ILC, Left, Stage IIIC, 13/18 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 6/2006, ILC, Stage IV, metastasized to other, ER+, HER2- Dx 5/2019, ILC, Stage IV, metastasized to liver, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/4/2019 Targeted Therapy 7/31/2019 Ibrance (palbociclib) Surgery Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Pedicled TRAM flap; Reconstruction (right): Pedicled TRAM flap Chemotherapy TAC Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Reconstruction (left): Pedicled TRAM flap; Reconstruction (right): Pedicled TRAM flap Hormonal Therapy Faslodex (fulvestrant) Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy Immunotherapy

Sep 8, 2019 10:10PM Moderators wrote:

Hi cancermomjam, we are terribly sorry to hear about you and your young daughter. A few really suggestions already. You may also want to look at this thread with a number of tips re. taking a CDK 4/6 inhibitors: https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/8/topics/...

We're all here for you! Medicating

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Sep 8, 2019 11:57PM cancermomjam wrote:

Thank you all so much. This is new and I am already getting the idea there may be resistance from her oncologist to doing side treatments. I am shared all this info with my daughter and other family members and will do everything I can to make sure that nothing is just poo-poo'ed without really checking into it.

Alison

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)