We are 224,930 members in 82 forums discussing 158,020 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Caretaker for 88yo mother Stage IV

Forum: For Family & Caregivers of Loved Ones With a STAGE IV Diagnosis —

A place where family members, caregivers, and loved ones of people having a Stage IV (metastatic) diagnosis can share, discuss, and support one another through the tough times unique to this diagnosis.

Posted on: Nov 10, 2019 08:40PM

drdaughter wrote:

I am the caretaker for my 88 yo mother with Stage IV to pleura and liver now on Kisqali and Fluvestrant

I'm not sure how many others are out there caring for an older parent. Even without this diagnosis there are matters to attend to when advocating for and protecting an elderly parent. This has been a whirlwind of a month starting with the diagnosis of Stage IV breast cancer that presented as shortness of breath from a large pleural effusion. My mother's oncologist was not available to the hospital physician and my brother and I decided to change her oncology doctor to one recommended as he was attentive, and more conveniently located. She had an indwelling pleural drain placed after her return to the ER in 14 days for reaccumulation of the pleural fluid. We now are performing the drainage ever other day and helping her as she suffers through gastritis (blood in emesis) and nausea/vomiting from her Kisqali that started towards the end of her third week.

She had been living independently until this recurrence and was still driving to the grocery store.

I guess from this forum I hope to help others in this situation and get any advice on helping my sweet mom cope though this.

Page 1 of 1 (1 results)

Posts 1 (1 total)

Nov 11, 2019 02:59PM edwards750 wrote:

I helped care for my mother when she was in her 80’s but her issues were mostly results of aging. I can imagine how difficult it must be for you. You feel so helpless but you have to realize you are doing all you can and your mother is blessed to have a daughter like you. So sorry for you and your mother

Diane

Page 1 of 1 (1 results)