Join Us

We are 224,981 members in 83 forums discussing 163,825 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: My wife diagnosed stage 4 in Feb

Forum: Caring for Someone with Stage IV or Mets —

A place where family members, caregivers, and loved ones of people having a Stage IV (metastatic) diagnosis can share, discuss, and support one another through the tough times unique to this diagnosis.

Posted on: Nov 13, 2021 01:05AM - edited Nov 13, 2021 01:10AM by kenksx

kenksx wrote:

First of all thank you for all your support. My wife is 41 and she was diagnosed Stage IV. She is on Femara+Ibrance+ zoladex met to liver. Her recent PETscan showed good improvement over the first. Recently she has been experiencing tumor hardening and clamping on alternate days. On the calm days the tumor areas seems to be loose and quiet while the next day it gets hard and stretched. Anyone here experience this? I talked to her oncologist and doc..she feels the pill is working on it-causing inflamation as it targets the tumor. I dont seem to find any literature. I also talked to a scientist in one of the big pharma focused on early stage discovery. Same response. Thoughts anyone? Is it the femara or ibrance? or something else? Its been a journey for both of us. I have seen her suffer and I really am trying to find answers. Hope you all can help me learn about this phenomenon.

Thank you in advance.

Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Log in to post a reply

Nov 13, 2021 04:04AM SondraF wrote:

I am on the same regimen and have been for the last two years (dx'd at about your wife's age). When you say tumor hardening, do you mean the primary in the breast or the liver met?

"The closer we come to the negative, to death, the more we blossom" - Montgomery Clift Dx 9/27/2019, IDC, Right, 5cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Targeted Therapy 11/29/2019 Ibrance (palbociclib) Hormonal Therapy 11/29/2019 Femara (letrozole) Surgery Prophylactic ovary removal
Log in to post a reply

Nov 13, 2021 08:22AM kenksx wrote:

Primary In the right breast.

Log in to post a reply

Nov 14, 2021 02:37AM SondraF wrote:

Then yes, I have experienced times over the month where it seemed like yay! the tumor is shrinking! because it seemed softer or smaller and then times (usually on the week off Ibrance) when I worry because it seems harder/growing. In the end I got about 40% shrinkage of the primary over two years, although given where the placement is of the tumor and how it grew (sub areolar and very deep, growing up to retract the nipple just before diagnosis) I have to really dig around to feel it, but my main judge is the nipple retraction. When the tumor is "harder" it appears like the nipple is more retracted. There was one month in mid 2020 when it seemed much harder than before and I flagged it for a quick observation but oncology didn't seem to think it mattered, and it didn't because the next scan was when I had the greatest shrinkage.


"The closer we come to the negative, to death, the more we blossom" - Montgomery Clift Dx 9/27/2019, IDC, Right, 5cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Targeted Therapy 11/29/2019 Ibrance (palbociclib) Hormonal Therapy 11/29/2019 Femara (letrozole) Surgery Prophylactic ovary removal
Log in to post a reply

Nov 14, 2021 09:14AM kenksx wrote:

SondraF. Thank you! Thank you! This really helps. Exactly what her oncologist said. PETscan showed substantial shrinkage and asked us to stay focused on that.

Thank you for taking time to respond.

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)