Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stage IIb and 5+ years out, anyone?

sundermom
sundermom Member Posts: 98
edited February 2023 in Stage II Breast Cancer

I am quickly approaching the one year mark here and have my first round of scans post treatment in a couple of weeks. However, the local newspaper has been running stories left and right this month in which the focus is young women like myself (I was 37 at dx). In both stories today the women were stageIIb and eventually developed mets. I know I chose a very aggressive treatment plan (BMX, AND, chemo, rads and Tamoxifen) and there is not really anything else I can do, but hope and pray. Pinkoctober is really bringing me down and I could really use some encouragement. :(

Comments

• shells43
    shells43 Member Posts: 499
    edited October 2011

I know what you mean, Sundermom. I am also 2b and about a year and a half out. I don't even want to go out and see all of the pink, it is just the reminder I don't want right now as I am trying to move on and get focused on other things. I think those news stories are to bring attention to the fact that breast cancer is NOT always curable, as some people believe. I know there are lots of success stories though, and I intend to be one of them. Are you with me??

• roseamy
    roseamy Member Posts: 6
    edited October 2011

hi,

I was stage 3b and am 2 1/2 years ned.

all going well so there is light at the end of the tunnel. 

• maltomlin
    maltomlin Member Posts: 48
    edited October 2011

I was also stage 2b and am 3 and a half years out. I plan to throw a HUGE party when (not if) I get to 5 years.

Now back to enjoying life again and don't come on here too often.

Take care. 

• Racy
    Racy Member Posts: 974
    edited October 2011

I am very surprised there aren't posters here who are five year survivors. Maybe they aren't active members. It does seem strange though.

Please post if you were/are stage 2 and now 5 plus years post treatment!

• sam52
    sam52 Member Posts: 431
    edited October 2011

OK....I was stage IIb and am almost 10 years out......so far, so good!

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited October 2011

Just stumbled on this - Stage 2B and 6 and 1/2 years out... and triple neg. Lots of hope and like sam52 said, so far so good!!!

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited October 2011

PS - 37 years old at diagnosis!

• bak94
    bak94 Member Posts: 652
    edited October 2011

Stage 2b and triple negative over 8 years out. New primary in opposite breast, but no recurrence on original tumor. I didn't come back and post much until I was diagnosed again, so there must be many more plus five survivors out there, they just may not stop by here anymore!

• pejkug3
    pejkug3 Member Posts: 277
    edited October 2011

I'm choosing to believe that those who are 5+ years out are too busy living their lives to post.

But it would be nice if they would come out of hiding to post.  :)

• sundermom
    edited October 2011

I'm trying to be positive about the lack of posts here and just chalk it up to the fact that all of the women that fit into this category are no longer posting here. I know my grandmother is a 25 year survivor and she's says she never thinks about recurrence. Thanks to those that shared their successes.

• sushanna1
    sushanna1 Member Posts: 61
    edited October 2011

It makes me nervous to say it:  "IIB and 10 years since diagnosis"  Diagnosed at age 48. 

• pebee
    pebee Member Posts: 96
    edited October 2011

Thank you for everyone who returned and posted.... I also appreciate it....

• CoolBreeze
    CoolBreeze Member Posts: 250
    edited October 2011

I'm scared to post here since you'll all think the worst. But, MOST women survive five years and then some.   Most women don't hang around forums for years.  They come here to get information, support when they need it (usually during active treatment), and then when they don't need it anymore, than move on with their lives.  You'll find Stage IV people who will post about their five year mark but stage I, II - they are living life again.

I personally know 4 people who dx'd at Stage II who made it five years, and I know one who made it 25 and who is now 80.  Check out the statistics - you'll find a very very high percentage make it. They just aren't here.  The women who are still here five years out either have cancer still, or are hung up  with having had cancer and can't let go.  Most women do find that they move on and don't need online support groups anymore.  

Who is here?  People like me.   

I hope this helps somebody, even with my stats.  

• starbeauty
    starbeauty Member Posts: 106
    edited October 2011

Thank so much for posting Coolbreeze... I have found that all of us stage 1 and onward need a lot of encouragement after treatment is over... We look for some assurance... Any assurance at all that it is over... And then one day we figure out that it is never truly over. It is what happens next that matters... If we are able to find the courage to lift our head and walk on in peace... Living in the day we are in, then we find ourselves less and less looking for comfort here. I am almost 2 years out and slowly making it back to a healthy mind, but still need to come here most days just to listen to us all talk and realize I am ok today. You bring encouragement so often to all of us... May you feel that your thoughts and ideas matter and lift us all...

• peachy49
    peachy49 Member Posts: 16
    edited October 2011

Hello ladies,

Just had to chime in, because my sister in law was dx DCIS in 88', mets to spine in 2000, mets to liver and other bones later on, and its 2011, and she's a fighter, she's here, she travels, she's doing well considering.. I also have two friends, one that is 19 yrs from her IDC (dont know stage) dx, and my other friend from work, 23 yrs out, and there is a lady here named Kathy (forgot her name here) that is stage IV and like 17 yrs out I think? Dont quote me on the time span..everyBODY is different and we have to have hope and never stop fighting..

Blessings.. Peachy

• Racy
    Racy Member Posts: 974
    edited October 2011

Thanks everyone for posting. I knew there were long term survivors out there :-) .

• sam52
    sam52 Member Posts: 431
    edited October 2011

Hi Sushanna .....like you I was also nervous of posting; would you mind letting us know what your pathology was? (ie grade, ER status, nodes).Thanks.

I have read that if you were triple neg, and got past 8 years, you could consider yourself cured.

Coolbreeze......I like what you wrote for the most part, but I know that I am not the only one who still comes to these boards after more than 5 years, without being 'hung up' or 'not able to let go'. I found that a bit offensive, actually. What about coming here to give support to others?

• quiltmom
    quiltmom Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2011

Just celebrated 7years and going strong.  I was 47 when diagnosed.

• sundermom
    edited October 2011

Thanks again for posting everyone! I have tried super hard to have a pretty positive overall attitude (Having five little ones under the age of 11 kind of necessitated that I put on a brave face for much of the time) and I've spent more time looking at stats than I probably should, so I know odds are in my favor :) However, as I stated in my original post the local newspaper seems dead set on publishing the stories of those early stage women that should have been able to complete treatment and move on, but for whatever reason find themselves still battling this beast. There are just some days I find myself needing a little more of a boost than others. I think I'll feel better after I hear the words NED at my next appointment on the 23rd.

• cp418
    cp418 Member Posts: 359
    edited October 2011

I'm stage 2A dx 2006 so I suppose that makes me 5 years.  I come here to keep up with current research and to pay it forward to all the women who helped me when I was dx. I have banged heads a few times with doctors as I do ask questions ---- some do not like it. I get the feeling on my next visit it will be a cut the cord scene and thank you for the business. I find we as patients have to be very proactive in pursuing information especially if you have a interest in clinical trials. Many issues are not discussed due to an eject timer button for patients who are in monitor mode vs active treatment. 

• sassy
    sassy Member Posts: 6
    edited October 2011

Hi, just seen your post. I have not been on this site in quite a while. I am a 9 year survivor of stage 2, was 46 at diagnosis and are still "dancing with NED". I also have 4 friends who are all about 8 to 9 years out, no recurrences, all different types of bc. Hang in there!

• Curlylocks
    Curlylocks Member Posts: 61
    edited October 2011

Hi sundermom,

I just saw this post, I dont come on the forum very often any more...just to check in and offer support for those struggling.  I enjoy giving back as so many helped me out in those first few very scary years after diagnosis.

I was 41 at diagnosis, stage IIb, a 4 cm tumour, 3 positive lymph nodes, grade III tumour, ER/PR+ and Her2-.  I had the kitchen sink thrown at me as far as treatment.   I even had my ovaries removed at age 44. I will be a 6 year survivor on the 26th of this month!!!

There is life after breast cancer, it just takes a lot of time to develop that comfort zone and go on and live that "new normal" as most people call it. Life is definitely different but not in a bad way, just much more appreciation of how fragile life is... we have been given that wonderful second chance at life!

Alot of the posters are correct in that most women that are a little further out have gone to live their lives so dont get discouraged at the lack of responses.

All the best as you get through this journey.  The first two years were the hardest for me!

Michele

• LizR
    LizR Member Posts: 26
    edited October 2011

Almost 7 years for me and going strong (I was 41)!!!!  The first few years were so so tough - but it does get so much easier and is rarely something I think about (now I have my reconstruction journey which keeps me glued to the discussion threads).  I hope you can take comfort in knowing that you did everything you could and were as aggressive as possible.  Best wishes! Liz

• pejkug3
    pejkug3 Member Posts: 277
    edited October 2011

I love all the positive stories in this thread.  So happy for those who remain disease free and enjoy their lives.  You ladies are HOPE to the rest of us.

• Taylor777
    Taylor777 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2011

Thanks Sundermom for starting this thread and everyone posting!!

I was just dx in Jun. with IIb and I'm having a hard time with all this! I feel like my life is on hold and I'm never going to get my old life back . I have a 12yr old girl and 9 yr old son that I want to be around for.

I love reading success stories it gives me hope!!! I just met a girl who was dx at 41 with IIb and today she is 50 and doing great!! She doesnt even think of cancer anymore!! Were going to all get there one day we just have to stay positive!!!!Smile

• Jellydonut
    Jellydonut Member Posts: 20
    edited October 2011

Diagnosed in 2002, 9+ years ago!!

Best wishes to everyone here!

• sushanna1
    sushanna1 Member Posts: 61
    edited October 2011

Hello Jellydonut and Sam52.  I think that we are the oldtimers! 

Sam52--I had what was described as a "multifocal" tumor.  My first surgeon was pretty confident that it was not breast cancer but did an excisional biopsy just to make sure.  The tumor was removed in pieces and the pathology department did not measure the extent of the cancer so I will never know the exact tumor size--best guess is IIB.  I went to a major teaching hospital after that and had a lumpectomy and reexcision.   The original pathology report was not good--IDC, ER PR negative, 7 out of 9 (cannot remember which scale).  To my surprise the second pathology report was ER PR postive (80 and 20) and 3 or 4 out of 9, IDC and DCIS.  Third pathology report was DCIS.  I had one positive lymph node.  I was in a clinical trial for chemo and had 4 AC, three weeks apart followed by 11 weeks of taxotere (that was clinical trial part).  I should have had 12, but was allowed to skip the last treatment.  Then I had 6 weeks (I think! My memory is finally fading) of radiation followed by 5 years of tamoxifen and will finish (I hope! ) 5 years of femara in February 2012.

Sue

cp41--Thanks for speaking up.  I continue to check in here to follow various people and make sure they are doing OK; keep up with treatment options should the cancer return or should I decide to have reconstruction and sometimes to lend support to those newly diagnosed.   In part, I never left the boards because I developed lymphedema and relied upon the wonder women on the lymphedema thread.

• SpunkyGirl
    SpunkyGirl Member Posts: 16
    edited October 2011

Girlfriend,  I am a Stage IIIa at five years out, and I'm THANKFUL for every day.  Ignore those statistics and keep doing the best you can for yourself and your family.  The people who are doing well rarely make the papers or get interviews.  They keep going and try to find normal lives again.  Be well!

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited October 2011

Yes, almost 7 years for me and I had a bi-lateral breast cancer, stage 2b, in left and stage 1 in right breast, with one positive node. I also had very aggressive treatment with a total hysterectomy as well. I am sure you will do great as well. Enjoy each day!!!!!! You are a survivor!!!!!!

• maywin
    maywin Member Posts: 24
    edited October 2011

Hi I come here once in a while also to pay it forward. I will always remember the kindness of Shirlann among many others when I was first diagnosed with the dreaded triple negative. I will be nine years out in February!