We are 197,862 members in 81 forums discussing 145,395 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Stage II Breast Cancer → Topic: Stage 2B with positive nodes

Topic: Stage 2B with positive nodes

Forum: Stage II Breast Cancer — Meet, share and support others with Stage II Breast Cancer

Posted on: Mar 6, 2013 11:14AM - edited Mar 6, 2013 11:17AM by Colt45

Colt45 wrote:

Husband here.

If there's already a thread for Stage 2B with positive nodes, I apologize, as I missed it.

I see a lot of discussion between ladies with Stage lll and between ladies with Stage l and a lot of dialogue for Stage lV only----but not much for Stage ll.

I was interested in reaching out and finding what everyone's experiences have been with their oncologists' prognoses and treatment recommendations as well as your attitudes and coping strategies.

Really, ANY feedback from anyone with a pathology that has any similarity to my wife's.

I'm trying to support her the very best way I can and welcome all help.

Thanks.

Husband Dx 10/9/2012, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 1/21 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/6/2012 Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 12/12/2012 AC Chemotherapy 2/6/2013 Taxol (paclitaxel)

Page 10 of 10 (284 results)

Posts 271 - 284 (284 total)

May 1, 2017 08:58PM HoneyBeaw wrote:

Erika

I had the same thing happen to me, I had the Lumpectomy , they did not get good margins so had to go back in for better margins and to check for nodes , . Shot me up with the dye to find the SN and nothing, all the dye went under by breast bone ( talk about being scared crazy).Ended up canceling that surgery, Had to wait 2 weeks for a PET scan to find any hot nodes and did find one that was positive . The surgeon told me it happens in about 1% of Surgeries and they have no clue as to why . With the Pet they knew which ones to go after , ended up taking 3 with 1 being positive

I understand your frustration, it can be a emotional drain.

Huggs

Surgery 11/27/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Dx 12/5/2016, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/26/2016 Mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 1/16/2017 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Oct 5, 2017 08:02PM bah1976 wrote:

Hi, I’ve just discovered this conversation and want to thank you all for sharing your stories and I’m hoping you’re all still doing well and fighting strong! I was diagnosed 3 days before my 41st birthday. No family history. Had a lumpectomy and lymph node removal, then Chemo (AC&C) followed by taxol. Now I’m halfway through radiation. I’m going on tamoxifen once radiation is over and monthly lupeon. I count myself lucky as I’ve been able to continue my work as a Group Fitness Instructor through all this and it’s helped me stay positive for the most part. But I also have my bad days where I wonder about survival rates. Thanks to all of you for being so inspiring!

Dx 4/7/2017, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 3/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 4/18/2017 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Chemotherapy 5/11/2017 AC + T (Taxol)

Oct 10, 2017 11:23PM NicoCull wrote:

thank you for this. I needed to see this today. I'm 28 diagnosed June 19 2017. Stage 2b grade 3 3.2cm and half way through chemo. Lumpectomy in 3 months unknown about my lymph nodes until then. I'm terrified. Anxiety was bad today and reading your story has given me hope. Er+/pr+ her2- BRCA negative. The unknown about the lymphnodes is what's killing me. They can't feel anything but that don't mean anything.

Oct 11, 2017 04:39AM - edited Oct 11, 2017 04:40AM by Moderators

bah1976 and NicoCull, welcome to Breastcancer.org! We just wanted to let you know that we're here for you and we're so glad that you've found us and decided to join the community. We know you'll find great support and information here, but if you have any questions for us please do get in touch.

Warm wishes,

The Mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Oct 11, 2017 06:36AM Legomaster225 wrote:

NicoCull, did you have an ultrasound or MRI that showed node involvement? They can at least tell if the nodes are enlarged or suggestive with imaging. I think you have to have confirmed positive nodes for them to classify you as IIb. I'm praying that your nodes are clear and either way you will get restaged after surgery. Happy your chemo goes well.

I had a positive node, confirmed with biopsy, before chemo but after my BMX that node (with maker) was removed as part of my sentinel node testing and showed no cancer. I had a great response to preadjuvent chemo on my right side. Unfortunately they found cancer in my prophylactic left breast upon my BMX. I just completed radiation on my right side but we are not doing on radiation on the left. All my doctors are in agreement about this since the "surprise side" cancer was small, I already did chemo and there is no "evidence" of node involvement (although no nodes were removed on that side). I will be starting tamoxifen next week. Hopefully, that will hold off recurrence for a long while. I spoke with my BS about this at a follow up again yesterday. He is wonderful and has talked me off a ledge a few times.
Dx 12/3/2016, IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 1/19/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Dx 6/22/2017, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IB, Grade 1, ER+/PR+ Dx 6/22/2017, DCIS, Left, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1 Surgery 6/22/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Radiation Therapy 8/22/2017 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 10/17/2017

Oct 12, 2017 08:23PM Dennyj wrote:

Nicocull....I was staged at 2B with node involvement. The nodes were detected through a manual exam and then confirmed with a MRI. I started chemo and saw positive progress. When I finally had my surgery....they took out 23 nodes and all were cancer free. So I completely get where you are coming from....the not knowing is the worst and just having node involvement is terrifying but try to stay calm. The fact that your doctors are having a hard time feeling your nodes is a good thing. Good luck to you and stay strong!!!!

Diagnosed at age 39. Wife, daughter, sister & mother to 4 great kids.... Dx 8/25/2016, DCIS/IDC, Left, Stage IIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Chemotherapy 9/20/2016 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 2/2/2017 Lymph node removal: Left, Right, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Radiation Therapy 3/28/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Surgery 11/21/2017 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Targeted Therapy Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab)

Oct 26, 2017 12:04PM Sowmyathayi1987 wrote:

hi... my mom diagnosed with stage 2b breast cancer this may 2017.. doctor recommended lumpectomy but we asked for mastectomy .. size of tumor 2.5cm grade 3.. ER+ PR + HER-ve she had one sentinel node positive and also had axillary dissection..so out of 20 nodes removed only 1 (sentinel node) came out to be positive.(.1/20 nodes positive.. ). She undergone 4 cycles of AC chemo and currently going through 4 cycles of taxoterete... now I have a doubt.. some say radiation is necessary and some say no need of radiation as mastectomy with axillary dissection done and only 1 node was positive . ..what are your options about radiation???is it necessary ???

Oct 26, 2017 01:53PM - edited Oct 26, 2017 04:34PM by sbelizabeth

Sowmyathayi, what does your mom's team of physicians say? What's your mom's opinion about what they say?

Most of us here are not oncologists or breast surgeons so all we can offer you is our inexpert opinions and personal experiences.

For me, between chemo, surgery, and radiation, I most disliked radiation--but with my own diagnosis I would never have dreamed of skipping it. Even if my team had offered me a choice (similar to "lumpectomy or mastectomy?"), I would have chosen to take the radiation treatments. I wanted to use every weapon available to kill the beast.

pinkribbonandwheels.wordpress.... Dx 10/20/2011, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 6/28 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 12/15/2011 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 4/18/2012 Mastectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 5/21/2012 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 7/19/2012 Femara (letrozole) Surgery 4/15/2013 Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap

Oct 26, 2017 02:05PM bravepoint wrote:

Sowmyathayi - I had a smaller tumor than your mother, 1 node of 5 positive and had a lumpectomy mostly because of where the tumor was located. I was told that even if I had a mastectomy that I would need radiation.

Gail Radiation Therapy 4/17/2016 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Dx 8/8/2016, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 1/5 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 8/29/2016 Chemotherapy 10/7/2016 Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxol)

Oct 26, 2017 04:34PM Sowmyathayi1987 wrote:

thank u Elizabeth and bravepoint...i am worried if radiation can affect heart and may cause lymphedema of limb ?

Oct 26, 2017 04:43PM sbelizabeth wrote:

Sowmyathayi, the short answer is perhaps, to both questions. Your daughter must ask her radiation oncologist, because it all depends on the location of her tumor and the oncologist's plan for treatment.

With the current treatments, avoiding the heart is a big goal, and radiation treatments are carefully mapped for this purpose. Lymphedema can occur anytime a lymph node is messed with or removed, and the incidence of LE increases with rads to the underarm. But it's a risk/benefit decision for your daughter. Which is the greater risk--lymphedema or recurrent breast cancer?

pinkribbonandwheels.wordpress.... Dx 10/20/2011, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 6/28 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 12/15/2011 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 4/18/2012 Mastectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 5/21/2012 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 7/19/2012 Femara (letrozole) Surgery 4/15/2013 Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap

Oct 26, 2017 08:54PM Sowmyathayi1987 wrote:

thank you for all the replies.. my moms skin over post mastectomy site turned gradually dark...should it be a concern? She is undergoing taxoterete chemotherapy... she finished 4cycles of AC .. she dint have radiation yet..

Anyone having similar problem of skin turning dark over mastectomy area??

Nov 4, 2017 09:15PM Colt45 wrote:

My best advice about the radiation is to consult with multiple radiation oncologists who will discuss the recurrence risk with and without radiation based on your mom's specific, unique variables. Be wary of radiation oncs who rely on broad generalizations rather than your mom's specific cancer features. Radiation oncs radiate. That's what they do. It's often what they'll recommend----so make sure the radiation oncs you consult with are speaking with you about your mom and her specific case and not just women your mom's age regardless of her cancer's features. And get 2nd and 3rd opinions so you feel comfortable with your decision.

Husband Dx 10/9/2012, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 1/21 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/6/2012 Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 12/12/2012 AC Chemotherapy 2/6/2013 Taxol (paclitaxel)

Nov 6, 2017 12:56PM - edited Nov 6, 2017 12:56PM by swg

Hi Nicocull..did they order you an MRI? I was gonna do a lumpectomy..but then I switched surgeons, and the one I have now had me do a breast MRI. Found another tumor in the same breast :( So now I'm doing a unilateral mx.

My surgeon didn't see any node involvement on my imaging, but she warned me there could be "microinvasions" when she does the SNB.

It sucks not to know, but I guess we'll all know for sure, after surgery! This disease just sucks in general. I'm sick of drs and procedures already.

Dx 9/11/17. IDC grade 2, stage 1. 1.2cm. in right breast. ER+/PR+, HER2- 2nd tumor in right breast found 10/22/17. Dx 9/11/2017, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Dx 10/23/2017, DCIS/IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/28/2017 Mastectomy; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy

Page 10 of 10 (284 results)