Topic: Stage 2 Sisters Club

Forum: Stage II Breast Cancer — Meet, share and support others with Stage II Breast Cancer

Posted on: Jul 27, 2013 03:13PM - edited Aug 8, 2013 01:34PM by NisaVilla

Posted on: Jul 27, 2013 03:13PM - edited Aug 8, 2013 01:34PM by NisaVilla

NisaVilla wrote:

Welcome to the newly formed Stage II Breast Cancer Club! And Thank You Mods for facilitating its creation.

Dx 3/22/2013, ILC/IDC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Dx 3/22/2013, LCIS/DCIS, Right, 6cm+, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR- Surgery 4/24/2013 Mastectomy: Left, Right Chemotherapy 6/24/2013 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 10/1/2013 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 12/27/2013 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Surgery 12/5/2014 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Surgery 9/24/2015 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting, Nipple reconstruction; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Nipple reconstruction

Page 143 of 442 (4,416 results)

Aug 5, 2014 09:37AM jdboct wrote:

Sandie-

Your going to be fine! There is no reason to think your other breast will get BC. Talk to your surgeon about that. Like you my wife is ER positive and she is on Arimidex for the next 5 years. Our doctors say that taking that pill every day is very important to stopping recurrence. Like you I got so hung up on numbers when my wife was diagnosed and it drove me close to a nervous breakdown. On the other hand my wife never wanted to know anything about numbers and her attitude was to do whatever she had to do to beat it. She is amazing. So strong for a 5'3" woman of 58 years!  She is moving forward and not looking back!  We did change our diets which helped us both. More fruits and veggies, organic when possible. Less sugar, less junk food. More exercise and we dont sweat the small stuff anymore!  I guess moderation is the key. Please stay positive you will be fine!

Dx 4/24/2013, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 3/16 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/6/2013 Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right Chemotherapy 8/1/2013 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 11/1/2013 3DCRT: Lymph nodes

Aug 5, 2014 12:01PM gardengumby wrote:

Sandie - my job created too much stress in my life, so I retired.  

BRCA1 & 2 negative - 3 family members. Oncotype 14. DCIS 7.5 cm, intermediate Dx 10/28/2010, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 2/19 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/20/2010 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement

Aug 5, 2014 12:05PM missingmercury wrote:

Sandie, you have to do what will you feel is right for you.  Discuss any concerns with your Dr..  I am stage 2b.  For me a BMX made sense.  I am in chemo and will most likely have radiation due to bc in one node.

I enjoyed Atlanta!  World of Coca Cola, Olympic Centennial Park, and 'Walking Dead' town of Woodbury.  Had a nice gentleman come up to me to ask about my cancer (since I am so obviously in chemo).  He was stage 4 in his neck lymph nodes 12 years ago and was not given hope.  He was there to talk to me, so there is always hope.  He said it has recurred a few times, but he looked great.  He is currently going through chemo. 

Dx 2/24/2014, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 4/28/2014 Lymph node removal: Left, Right, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right Chemotherapy 6/25/2014 AC Targeted Therapy 9/17/2014 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 9/17/2014 Taxol (paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy Lymph nodes

Aug 5, 2014 05:51PM ruthbru wrote:

5 years of Arimidex lowered my recurrence risk by 40%, so the figure you have sounds right. Getting to and staying at the correct weight for your height, eating better, taking a daily aspiring, and MOST importantly exercise, exercise, exercise can all lower your risk even further (some studies show that vigorous daily exercise can lower recurrence risk by 50%!!!). But I would wait until after chemo to worry about any of that....for now, just eat what you can stand and get some walking or other light exercise in (if you are up to it).

"Invisible threads are the strongest ties." Friedrich Nietzsche Dx 2/2007, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/11 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Aug 5, 2014 06:45PM sandie1973 wrote:

Hi ruthbru

Thank you for getting back to me. Does the hormonal therapy also reduce the risk of distant mets by 40%? I have also read that by keeping an ideal weight for height and taking regular exercise also reduces the risk further. Find it difficult though at the moment with the eating as I just want to stuff my face all the time and have put weight back on. Don't know if its the chemo or the effects of the steriods that have increased my appetite. I do walk most days though to help with the fatigue. 

How does aspirin help reduce the risk of recurrence? Think the food thing after the treatment finishes is going to be difficult for me as I do like my food and unfortunately it does involve some of the bad stuff ie sweets, crisps, cheese, pizzas etc. I am going to be so worried about what I am going to eat after treatment as want to avoid a recurrence as much as possible.

Thanks to everyone else for their kind words and advice. Jdboct - glad your wife is fine now and is moving forward. Hope I can get to that place too in time. Just hope I will be fine as this whole thing frightens the life out of me and will do for a long time xx

Dx 14/4/14 Stage IIa Grade 3 IDC 1cm ER+/PR+ HER2 - 1/9 nodes Dx 4/14/2014, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 1/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/12/2014 Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Surgery 5/12/2014 Lumpectomy: Right Chemotherapy 6/19/2014 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 11/11/2014 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary Hormonal Therapy 12/3/2014 Radiation Therapy 1/19/2015 Breast, Lymph nodes

Aug 5, 2014 06:55PM - edited Aug 5, 2014 07:21PM by ruthbru

Yes, I believe the 40% is for any kind of recurrence. Do NOT even think about the life style changes until you are done with chemo. One thing at a time!! (Just for the record, I love food & just mildly adjusted my diet, I added tons of exercise instead.....so you don't have to subsist on kale for the rest of your life!).

"Invisible threads are the strongest ties." Friedrich Nietzsche Dx 2/2007, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/11 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Aug 5, 2014 07:21PM ruthbru wrote:

How does aspirin prevent cancer?

There are two theories. First, inflammation in the body causes cells to divide, which increases the risk of them mutating into cancerous forms.

Because aspirin reduces inflammation, it lowers the risk of cancerous cells developing.

Second, cancer cells can piggyback on blood platelets, which help the blood to clot. Aspirin thins the blood by making platelets less sticky, which may also make it harder for them to carry cancer cells and so spread the disease.

Aug 5, 2014 07:42PM sandie1973 wrote:

Hi ruthbu

Definitely don't want to live on food rations for the rest of my life to avoid a recurrence. It would just zap all enjoyment out of life. I guess i will have to make some changes to my diet and ensure that I keep to a healthy weight and exercise frequently. 

I heard something about  when the immune system is lowered that an inflammatory response is produced and this inflammatory response can produce cancerous cells. Sounds like I will need to ensure that my immune system is better supported by diet, exercise, limit alcohol and ensure that my vitamin D levels are adequate. Less stress too. Also will look into taking a daily aspirin. Just hope and pray this will keep the beast at bay. This has certainty been a major wake up call for me x

Dx 14/4/14 Stage IIa Grade 3 IDC 1cm ER+/PR+ HER2 - 1/9 nodes Dx 4/14/2014, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 1/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/12/2014 Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Surgery 5/12/2014 Lumpectomy: Right Chemotherapy 6/19/2014 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 11/11/2014 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary Hormonal Therapy 12/3/2014 Radiation Therapy 1/19/2015 Breast, Lymph nodes

Aug 5, 2014 07:48PM ruthbru wrote:

If you want to have some exercise buddies, check out the 'Lets Post Our Daily Exercise' thread on the Fitness Forum. There are lots of encouraging ladies in all stages of treatment and beyond who will keep you motivated! Smile

Aug 5, 2014 08:29PM specialk wrote:

delvzy - I guess I am half Aussie, lol! My dad was born in Box Hill and lived in Ringwood until he was a young man. He left during WWII on a freighter and ended up in California after being put off the ship due to illness. My mom was born in England, but grew up in Canada. They met and settled in California, I was born there and lived there until I was 27 and married my military husband. Sorry about your problematic week!

BMX w/ TE 11/1/10, ALND 12/6/10. 16 additional surgeries. TCHx6 2/17-6/2/11. Herceptin until 1/19/12. Femara 8/1/11, Arimidex 6/20/12, back to Femara 2013-2018. Dx 9/27/2010, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 2/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+, IHC

Page 143 of 442 (4,416 results)

Scroll to top button