We are 184,344 members in 80 forums discussing 139,622 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Stage II Breast Cancer → Topic: Lymph node involvement

Topic: Lymph node involvement

Forum: Stage II Breast Cancer — Meet, share and support others with Stage II Breast Cancer

Posted on: Oct 25, 2016 12:21PM

Cherry02031978 wrote:

Hi everyone!

I have clinical stage 2 IDC, 2cm, grade 3 breast cancer at the 2:00 position,. Er/pr positive, her2 negative. Next week I will be having a lumpectomy, and sentinel node dissection. So far from ultrasound, and MRI nodes look ok. However, has anyone had their nodes to look ok and then after surgery be positive with cancer? Scared to death to start the journey but I just want it out of my body. I'm 37, no Gene mutations, or family history

Page 2 of 2 (34 results)

Posts 31 - 34 (34 total)

Mar 18, 2017 02:50PM mimioleary wrote:

I had two positive nodes out of four. When I met with the genetics nurse about my genetic testing, she told me that now cancer with five or less positive nodes is considered curable. Has anyone else heard this? I have not found that statement in any of my reading but that is what she said. I would LOVE for that to be true, but I want to hear it again from another reliable source. In the meantime, I continue through my chemo regimen and pray that it is working.

Mar 20, 2017 06:01PM - edited Mar 20, 2017 06:02PM by bclibrary

Hi everyone -

I just had bi-lateral lumpectomies last week, and the surgeon just called with Sentinel biopsy results (or whatever it's called). First, apparently there is cancer in the margins on the right, so she has to go back in and cut more.....ughhhhh. The nodes on the left (took samples from 4 or 5) all had cancer so she is removing all of them. She removed one that was found to be cancerous prior to chemo.

I don't know why cancer didn't appear in all of these lymphnodes before??

I did read (I think on this site...) that 1 out of 4 lumpectomies end up having to go back in to make larger margins, but it still upsetting!! RIght when you think you'e on to radiation.

Has anyone experienced this with re-doing a lumpectomy or finding more cancer in other lymphnodes?

Thanks for any feedback.

Barbara

Mar 20, 2017 06:43PM labelle wrote:

mimioleary, oftentimes people with many positive nodes go on to live out their full lifespans with no recurrence of BC. Some people on here object to the word "cured" but there are people with Stage I, II and III cancer who complete their treatments and are never bother by BC again-whether you want to call in "cured" or "NED" or "in remission"-the end result is the same, they die of something else.

With one positive node, my oncologist considers me to be a low risk for a recurrence and did not even recommend chemo. Lots of things besides stage, including the type and aggressiveness of the cancer, go into the prognosis. While everyone would prefer to be node negative, I think it is important to clear up the misconception that having positive nodes means you are doomed. It does not.

Dx 9/29/2014, IDC: Tubular, Left, <1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 1/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 11/13/2014 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast

Mar 20, 2017 07:47PM Emily2008 wrote:

Barbara, I initially underwent a lumpectomy in 2008, only to find out that one of the margins had bisected another tumor, so more surgery was required. After lots of research and opinions, I elected to have a mastectomy. The path report after that surgery showed a satellite tumor and DCIS in the remaining breast tissue. I was very glad I elected to have the mastectomy.

Good luck!

Dx 5/08, IDC, Stage 1, Grade 1, BRCA 2 pos. Mast. w/TRAM and implant, A/C x 4, Tamox. for 6.5 yrs, ooph and hyst in 2010. Dx. 10/16, breast segmentation, beginning rads in Jan. 2017, then AIs. Dx 5/14/2008, IDC, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 10/31/2016, IDC, Left, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 2 of 2 (34 results)