We are 188,889 members in 81 forums discussing 141,536 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Stage II Breast Cancer → Topic: Lymph node involvement

Topic: Lymph node involvement

Forum: Stage II Breast Cancer — Meet, share and support others with Stage II Breast Cancer

Posted on: Oct 25, 2016 12:21PM

Cherry02031978 wrote:

Hi everyone!

I have clinical stage 2 IDC, 2cm, grade 3 breast cancer at the 2:00 position,. Er/pr positive, her2 negative. Next week I will be having a lumpectomy, and sentinel node dissection. So far from ultrasound, and MRI nodes look ok. However, has anyone had their nodes to look ok and then after surgery be positive with cancer? Scared to death to start the journey but I just want it out of my body. I'm 37, no Gene mutations, or family history

Page 2 of 2 (43 results)

Posts 31 - 43 (43 total)

Mar 18, 2017 02:50PM mimioleary wrote:

I had two positive nodes out of four. When I met with the genetics nurse about my genetic testing, she told me that now cancer with five or less positive nodes is considered curable. Has anyone else heard this? I have not found that statement in any of my reading but that is what she said. I would LOVE for that to be true, but I want to hear it again from another reliable source. In the meantime, I continue through my chemo regimen and pray that it is working.

Mar 20, 2017 06:01PM - edited Mar 20, 2017 06:02PM by bclibrary

Hi everyone -

I just had bi-lateral lumpectomies last week, and the surgeon just called with Sentinel biopsy results (or whatever it's called). First, apparently there is cancer in the margins on the right, so she has to go back in and cut more.....ughhhhh. The nodes on the left (took samples from 4 or 5) all had cancer so she is removing all of them. She removed one that was found to be cancerous prior to chemo.

I don't know why cancer didn't appear in all of these lymphnodes before??

I did read (I think on this site...) that 1 out of 4 lumpectomies end up having to go back in to make larger margins, but it still upsetting!! RIght when you think you'e on to radiation.

Has anyone experienced this with re-doing a lumpectomy or finding more cancer in other lymphnodes?

Thanks for any feedback.

Barbara

Barbara Cornwall

Mar 20, 2017 06:43PM labelle wrote:

mimioleary, oftentimes people with many positive nodes go on to live out their full lifespans with no recurrence of BC. Some people on here object to the word "cured" but there are people with Stage I, II and III cancer who complete their treatments and are never bother by BC again-whether you want to call in "cured" or "NED" or "in remission"-the end result is the same, they die of something else.

With one positive node, my oncologist considers me to be a low risk for a recurrence and did not even recommend chemo. Lots of things besides stage, including the type and aggressiveness of the cancer, go into the prognosis. While everyone would prefer to be node negative, I think it is important to clear up the misconception that having positive nodes means you are doomed. It does not.

Dx 9/29/2014, IDC: Tubular, Left, <1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 1/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 11/13/2014 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast

Mar 20, 2017 07:47PM Emily2008 wrote:

Barbara, I initially underwent a lumpectomy in 2008, only to find out that one of the margins had bisected another tumor, so more surgery was required. After lots of research and opinions, I elected to have a mastectomy. The path report after that surgery showed a satellite tumor and DCIS in the remaining breast tissue. I was very glad I elected to have the mastectomy.

Good luck!

Dx 5/08, IDC, Stage 1, Grade 1, BRCA 2 pos. Mast. w/TRAM and implant, A/C x 4, Tamox. for 6.5 yrs, ooph and hyst in 2010. Dx. 10/16, local recurrence, Grade 2, breast segmentation, 30 rads from Jan-March 2017, then AIs. Dx 5/14/2008, IDC, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 10/31/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 24, 2017 05:55PM mimioleary wrote:

Very good points. Thank you.

Apr 8, 2017 09:53PM cindysmom wrote:

Hi I'm new here. I was diagnosed with IDC stage 2 BC. When they did the biopsy they also they also found cancer in one of the lymph nodes. I had 8 rounds of Chemo 4 A C and 4 Taxol. Had surgery on 4/5/2017 they tested the lymph nodes and there was still cancer in the nodes. It seems that there was some response to Chemo just not totally. Still waiting for the pathology report to come back but really afraid of what it may show.Has anyone ever had the same experience, wondering what could be the next steps.

Dx 11/6/2016, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 11/26/2016 Surgery 4/5/2017 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary Hormonal Therapy

Apr 9, 2017 02:40AM Wildplaces wrote:

Cindysmom,

What was your surgery?

Did you have chemo before the surgery?

Depending on your surgery and the extent of lymph node involvement you may or may not be offered radiation.

If your BC is hormone positive depending on your premenopausal status you will be then beoffered Tamoxifen or Aromatase inhibitors.

If you fill in your history and make it public - it will be a little easier to comment.

It's a tough time waiting for the pathology - hang in there - stage 2b is a tumour less then 5 cm with less then 3 nodes involved - lots of potential for it to be cured.

Dx 8/5/2016, DCIS/IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/13 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/12/2016 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic ovary removal Chemotherapy 9/11/2016 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 2/21/2017 External: Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Apr 9, 2017 04:58AM Matryoshka wrote:

Really appreciate this topic and all of your sharing. My MRI and US shows clear lymph nodes, but guess I will only know for sure after my lumpectomy.

Keeping positivity and hoping no node involvement and clear margins!

Dx 3/24/2017, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 4/27/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 5/15/2017 Lymph node removal: Left

Apr 9, 2017 08:53AM cindysmom wrote:

Yes, I had Chemo before surgery that's when they said it was 2a, but during surgery they found the Chemo had not killed all the cancer cells. Do they do second rounds of Chemo doesn't that mean the cancer that I had at the time of the biospy was still active and could have spread. Going to insist on a PET scan, Does hormonal therapy work like Chemo (ie kill cancer cells or does it just prevent reoccurence). Just losing it around here, hoping for a cure somehow....

Dx 11/6/2016, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 11/26/2016 Surgery 4/5/2017 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary Hormonal Therapy

Apr 9, 2017 09:05AM - edited Apr 9, 2017 09:05AM by Wildplaces

ok, stage 2 a or b is still highly curable so sit tight ( the size for 2 is the same - 2-5cm but it's b if lymph nodes are associated.

It is not unusual for the chemo not to kill al cancer cells especially in lower grade ( not a stage but a representation of pathology of how aggressive a cancer is - nuclei, tubules, mitosis).

Once you get your pathology - they will be a decision on radiotherapy and then hornone therapy - they will both reduce your risk of recurrence.😊

The post chemo time plus surgery is very taxing emotionally and physically but it sounds you have a good plan.

Dx 8/5/2016, DCIS/IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/13 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/12/2016 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic ovary removal Chemotherapy 9/11/2016 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 2/21/2017 External: Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Apr 9, 2017 09:37AM NCBeachGirl wrote:

Hi,

I have sentinel node biopsy surgery scheduled for April 12 (Wednesday). They'll do the dye/marker/whatever, the remove some sentinels. They'll freeze and test the nodes while I'm still in surgery (I'm also having a cervical polyp removed). If the nodes test positive, the BS will remove the rest of the nodes.

Well, that sounded fine to me at first, but now I'm wondering. I'm Her2+, and haven't met with an ONC yet (waiting for the node info). BS said the usual treatment for my cancer is surgery (had 9mm mass removed during biopsy, but margins were narrow and BS wants them better) with node biopsy (possible removal), with radiation and chemo plus targeted therapy (most likely Herceptin).

My question for this thread is: if I'm going to be stuck doing chemo anyway because of the HER2+ status, is there any point in removing all the lymph nodes and putting me at risk of lymphedema? Even if the sentinels are positive, can we leave them in and rely on the radiation and chemo to kill any cancer in the nodes? (BS says there's no palpable node masses.)

Thanks for any info and advice.

Dx 3/30/2017, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Surgery 4/12/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 5/14/2017 CMF Targeted Therapy 5/15/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Radiation Therapy 3DCRT: Breast, Lymph nodes

Apr 9, 2017 09:40AM NCBeachGirl wrote:

Oh, and I read in another post somewhere on this site that HER2+ cancer can spread into the blood without showing up in the lymph nodes. Another piece of info that makes me think I need chemo. I'm new to cancer...aren't there blood tests to see if there's cancer swimming around in there?

Thanks again.

Dx 3/30/2017, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Surgery 4/12/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 5/14/2017 CMF Targeted Therapy 5/15/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Radiation Therapy 3DCRT: Breast, Lymph nodes

Apr 14, 2017 07:27AM NCBeachGirl wrote:

Hi,

Not sure if anyone is following my posts, but here's an update.

I had a second surgery Wednesday April 12th. BS reopened the site where the mass was because she wanted to make the narrowly-clear margins from the initial lumpectomy/biopsy bigger. She removed one lymph node, it felt normal to her, so she closed me up and will send the node for pathology. I had done some research about node removal, and we decided to remove all the nodes only if the sentinel nodes were riddled with cancer. Also, my gynecologist removed a cervical polyp. Yay to them both for coordinating it so i could get both surgeries in one shot!

Next step is a followup with BS when the pathology report comes in. Then off to an oncologist.

Before the node biopsy, I'm stage 1, but I have aggressive HER2 3+positive, grade 3, ER/PR neg, Ki-67 74% cancer. BS initially told me the standard treatment for this is both radiation and chemo with Herceptin. But there seem to be variations among people.

I'm torn between wanting to avoid as much toxic and potentially harmful treatment as possible, versus hitting the cancer with everything they've got, and just dealing with then side effects. I'm only 55. But I have a ton of chronic co-morbidities, including fibromyalgia and bipolar, plus lots of other stuff. I'm already on disability, not working. Already in chronic pain, fatigue, depression. It's not like a year or two of unpleasant treatment is going to make a whole lot of difference in my QOL!!! LOL!

Bye for now.

Page 2 of 2 (43 results)