Log in to post a reply
Apr 14, 2017 08:27AM
Not sure if anyone is following my posts, but here's an update.
I had a second surgery Wednesday April 12th. BS reopened the site where the mass was because she wanted to make the narrowly-clear margins from the initial lumpectomy/biopsy bigger. She removed one lymph node, it felt normal to her, so she closed me up and will send the node for pathology. I had done some research about node removal, and we decided to remove all the nodes only if the sentinel nodes were riddled with cancer. Also, my gynecologist removed a cervical polyp. Yay to them both for coordinating it so i could get both surgeries in one shot!
Next step is a followup with BS when the pathology report comes in. Then off to an oncologist.
Before the node biopsy, I'm stage 1, but I have aggressive HER2 3+positive, grade 3, ER/PR neg, Ki-67 74% cancer. BS initially told me the standard treatment for this is both radiation and chemo with Herceptin. But there seem to be variations among people.
I'm torn between wanting to avoid as much toxic and potentially harmful treatment as possible, versus hitting the cancer with everything they've got, and just dealing with then side effects. I'm only 55. But I have a ton of chronic co-morbidities, including fibromyalgia and bipolar, plus lots of other stuff. I'm already on disability, not working. Already in chronic pain, fatigue, depression. It's not like a year or two of unpleasant treatment is going to make a whole lot of difference in my QOL!!! LOL!
Bye for now.
3/30/2017, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (IHC)
4/12/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel
5/15/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab)
3DCRT: Breast, Lymph nodes