Join Us

We are 218,012 members in 84 forums discussing 160,846 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Two primary tumors

Forum: Stage II Breast Cancer — Meet, share and support others with Stage II Breast Cancer

Posted on: Mar 3, 2020 03:24PM - edited Mar 3, 2020 04:43PM by Mariadelpilar

Mariadelpilar wrote:

I asked my dr. For the oncotype dx since I only had 2 lymph nodes involved, and my tumor was 19mm, but she said I couldn't do that because during surgery they had found a second cancer, 6mm, that I didn't know I had!!! Apparently the big one was IDC and the small (one oops... editing mistake....)WAS IDC TOO! Both unifocal.which makes them two different primary cancers. I asked if this changed my stage or prognosis and she said no. They staged me on the bigger tumor and the two lymph nodes.

Anybody have had similar dx?

Thank you.

Dx 11/7/2019, DCIS/IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 2/5 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH) Chemotherapy 12/26/2019 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

Mar 3, 2020 03:39PM - edited Mar 3, 2020 03:41PM by ajminn3

In situ means it has not broken out of the milk duct and is generally considered “pre-cancer" and stage 0. Over time it can develop into invasive cancer for some if left. Your staging will be based off the invasive tumor as well as the lymph node involvement. I had a strange case where my primary tumor was 8cm of DCIS only (no invasive component could be identified within it no matter how many times they combed through it looking) and post mastectomy they found 3mm of invasive cancer on a sentinel lymph node. That changed me from stage 0 pre surgery to stage 2 (due to being triple positive) post surgery. Cancer is so strange and shitty!

Dx 12/2019, DCIS, Left, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 2 Dx 1/2020, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IIA, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane), Zoladex (goserelin) Surgery Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Targeted Therapy Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Mar 4, 2020 08:02AM SummerAngel wrote:

Staging is done on the largest tumor. I don't know why they couldn't do an Oncotype on the larger, that doesn't make sense to me. The largest tumor I had was in my left breast, and that's the one they did an Oncotype on. The right breast had a larger tumor (1 cm) and 4 small tumors (no larger than 2 mm each).

Age at dx: 45. Oncotype, left-side tumor: 9. Right side had multifocal IDC and "extensive" LCIS. Isolated tumor cells in 1 right-side node. Dx 3/27/2015, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Dx 4/27/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 6/1/2015 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery 6/1/2015 Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 8/28/2015 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting, Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Silicone implant Surgery 12/4/2015 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting, Nipple reconstruction; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Nipple reconstruction

Mar 4, 2020 10:40AM Mariadelpilar wrote:

I dont understand either. It does say that they are both unifocal. Not multifocal?

Dx 11/7/2019, DCIS/IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 2/5 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH) Chemotherapy 12/26/2019 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Mar 4, 2020 12:30PM SummerAngel wrote:

That shouldn't matter. As long as there is enough tissue to test with they should be able to test.

Age at dx: 45. Oncotype, left-side tumor: 9. Right side had multifocal IDC and "extensive" LCIS. Isolated tumor cells in 1 right-side node. Dx 3/27/2015, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Dx 4/27/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 6/1/2015 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery 6/1/2015 Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 8/28/2015 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting, Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Silicone implant Surgery 12/4/2015 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting, Nipple reconstruction; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Nipple reconstruction

May 3, 2020 11:18AM TexasMama wrote:

I had three tumors and two involved lymph nodes. They did an Oncotype on the largest tumor.

Dx 10/11/2019, IDC, Both breasts, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 2/12 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/12/2019 Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Chemotherapy 2/17/2020 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide) Radiation Therapy 5/19/2020 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)