We are 220,472 members in 81 forums discussing 155,785 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: MRI contrast experience horrible for me

Forum: Diagnosed and Waiting for Test Results —

Share with and support others all waiting for test results from CAT scan, PET scan, Oncotype tests, Mammaprint, FISH, IHC, and other diagnostic tests.

Posted on: Feb 23, 2019 06:08PM

Seewee7 wrote:

Went today for mri. They slid me back; my bottom was touching the machine during whole procedure. No contrast went fine, but oh the contrast! My entire body felt like it was ON FIRE. I knew we needed these scans for my doctor. I started to squeeze panic ball then stopped. My body was on fire and my breathing became labored. I’m still not even sure how I managed to complete it.When the test was over it was different technician. I told him I was nauseated so he walked me to my dressing room. My eyes were purple and my entire face had sweat dripping off of it.
Tonight I’m fine. Was this normal or was this a reaction to the contrast?
Dx 2/21/2019, DCIS/IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH)

Page 1 of 1 (14 results)

Posts 1 - 14 (14 total)

Feb 23, 2019 06:15PM Runrcrb wrote:

I'm not sure there is a normal. 30 minutes after my first MRI I was in the bathroom and everything that had been in my body was coming out the backend. The next time I didn't have that experience but I was pretty certain flames were shooting out of my palms. Glad you made it through.

Dx 6/27/2016, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 4/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 6/27/2016, ILC/IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 4/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/21/2016 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 10/31/2016 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 2/8/2017 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 4/22/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole), Aromasin (exemestane) Surgery 12/12/2017 Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap

Feb 23, 2019 06:30PM - edited Feb 23, 2019 06:38PM by JO-5

I had an MRI with contrast early Fall. I was nauseous, bouncing off the walls dizzy, headache. I felt terrible all over. I starting chugging water to get the contrast out of my system. It took days before I felt better.

I've had contrast with a bone scan about 4 years ago and did not have those problems. I wonder if it is the contrast or something in the magnetic field?

There is some that believe the contrast can stay in the brain and other organs and cause problems.

Does anyone know if the contrasts for different scans/MRI's is different?

Scary!

Joanne

Org dx 04 lumpectomy rads arimidex stage 1 grade 3 no nodes er+pr+her- 2014 rads induced angiosarcoma, wide excision 2015 angio recurrence, rt mast. Lat flap, 1/3 flap went necrotic, skin graft leg to chest Seeing dr every 3 to 6 months.

Feb 23, 2019 06:45PM Seewee7 wrote:

I guess this reassures me but sorry you dealt with that too.

Feb 23, 2019 06:47PM gb2115 wrote:

All the types of contrasts are different and anyone can react to them at any time. I felt fine with MRI contrast all three times (felt it go through my body in a weird cold wavy way but nothing after that), but CT contrast made my chest burn (which they said was typical for that type of contrast). Felt absolutely nothing with the bone scan isotope.

I would describe your symptoms to either the ordering doc or the radiologist beforehand should you ever need another MRI and see what they say.

Dx IDC in October 2016, stage 2A, 1.2 cm ER/PR+ Her2-, Grade 2, 1/3 nodes. Mammaprint low risk luminal A, Lumpectomy + radiation + tamoxifen. Age 38 at diagnosis.

Feb 23, 2019 08:40PM AliceBastable wrote:

I don't remember feeling anything with the MRI contrast, but I was so miserable in the position that they could have poured acid in me and it wouldn't have made a difference. The contrast with the CT scans is like a slow motion hot flash, with the added bonus of a fried crotch sensation.

Endometrial cancer 2010, basal cell multiples, breast cancer 2018, kidney cancer 2018. Cancer's a bitch, but I'm a bigger one with more practice. Dx 5/2018, ILC/IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 1/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/11/2018 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 8/8/2018 Radiation Therapy 10/29/2018 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Feb 23, 2019 10:43PM Elephant wrote:

I remember feeling something cold creeping up my arm with the MRI contrast; but they were very good and warned me that this is what I would feel when they started the contrast. If they had not said anything, I think I would have passed out from the anxiety.

Dx 11/5/2018, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/16/2018 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 2/19/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 4/14/2019 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Feb 24, 2019 09:56AM Seewee7 wrote:

thank you all for the feedback. I sent message to the hospital and it so if there is an issue they can address it. Now I just wait. And wait.

Feb 24, 2019 10:31AM Dani444 wrote:

when I had a brain MRI years ago I almost hit the panic button when the contrast went in! Felt like an Elephant on my chest, I gave it a few seconds and it dissipated. It was very scary. When I went for my breast MRI the table and breast bone “pillow” was soaked with my sweat when I got up...I was pretty embarrassed but the tech made it seem like it wasn’t unusual. Alice-such a perfect description

DX @ 46, premenopausal, mammaprint low risk Dx 8/21/2018, LCIS/ILC, Right, 4cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 2/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 10/25/2018 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Radiation Therapy 12/6/2018 Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Feb 24, 2019 01:01PM JoE777 wrote:

I don't think your body is suppose to touch the machine. It gets hot according to my tech. He put thin padding between my elbows and the machine sides

Dx 2/2012, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, metastasized to bone, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 4/4/2012 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Dx 2/2018, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/lungs, Grade 1, ER+/PR+, HER2- Targeted Therapy Kisqali Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole) Chemotherapy Other Radiation Therapy External: Bone Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane), Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Feb 24, 2019 01:20PM NancyD wrote:

When I had a breast MRI, I attributed those feelings to claustrophobia, but maybe it was a reaction to the contrast dye. I know that whenever I've had a PET/CT scan, or just a CT scan with contrast, the dye made the glands in my neck swell up so that I looked like I didn't have a neck. SInce the last time it happened, I've decided to ask for the CT scans without contrast. It may be less revealing, but I don't want to risk a stronger allergic reaction.

Life is good. It's not perfect. but it's good. Dx 2/22/2008, IDC, Left, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 4/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/22/2008 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 7/11/2008 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right Hormonal Therapy 9/1/2008 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 9/5/2008 Breast, Lymph nodes Surgery 1/28/2010 Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap

Feb 25, 2019 03:36AM blah333 wrote:

if they used Gadolinium, some people have problems with it. I felt sick/weak for a few weeks after the MRI and seemed like it took a long time to be removed from my body. In the future I plan to refuse contrast (unless under dire circumstances..) It stays in the body longer than they say it does. You can look up gadolinium toxicity for more info

https://www.radiologybusiness.com/topics/care-delivery/gadolinium-actual-offender-or-unwitting-pretender

Dx 9/29/2017, DCIS, Left, 6cm+, Stage 0, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 12/7/2017 Mastectomy: Left, Right

Mar 2, 2019 06:13PM Darnit_DDD wrote:

I only have one kidney and refused the mri with contrast due to the gadolinium concern. It’s a heavy metal and hard on the renal system.

Glad i opted out of that after reading these experiences

Dx 2/6/2019, DCIS, Right, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Surgery 3/6/2019 Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 3/6/2019 Mastectomy: Left, Right

Mar 3, 2019 01:13AM AliceBastable wrote:

Darnit_DDD, that's good to know, since I'm also a unikidney. I wonder if that's why my follow-up imaging after the lumpectomy and nephrectomy last year are CT (done in January) and PET (scheduled for April). I'll be glad when that's over so I can start to feel less like a patient and get on with my life.

Endometrial cancer 2010, basal cell multiples, breast cancer 2018, kidney cancer 2018. Cancer's a bitch, but I'm a bigger one with more practice. Dx 5/2018, ILC/IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 1/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/11/2018 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 8/8/2018 Radiation Therapy 10/29/2018 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Mar 15, 2019 08:04AM - edited Mar 15, 2019 08:57AM by CasM

Darnit_DDD, could they get enough of what they need for diagnosis with an MRI without contrast. I definitely understand your concerns with only 1 kidney. I am worried about the long term effects of contrast and am supposed to have a MRI w/contrast in April.

ALH diagnosis Oct 2018

Page 1 of 1 (14 results)