We are 222,741 members in 81 forums discussing 156,886 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Watered down FNA path report?

Forum: Diagnosed and Waiting for Test Results —

Share with and support others all waiting for test results from CAT scan, PET scan, Oncotype tests, Mammaprint, FISH, IHC, and other diagnostic tests.

Posted on: Mar 5, 2019 04:54AM

tovahsmom wrote:

I had an FNA last week and got the report the next day. It said I had adenocarcinoma. Nothing else. My question: How is this helpful to my doctor? Is that all an FNA can tell you? That you have cancer but nothing else? Or should I be asking for the more detailed report? Is there such a thing for an FNA?

Thanks for any knowledge you have from those who have been through this!

Patricia, Age 54, Dx ADH, ALH, LCIS, DCIS, BRCA - Dx 8/18/2009, DCIS/IDC: Cribriform, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/0 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 7/15/2015, Left Dx 3/1/2019, Right, <1cm Radiation Therapy Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)

Posts 1 - 3 (3 total)

Mar 5, 2019 05:55AM Beesie wrote:

FNAs are usually done when cancer is not expected - I've had more than my share of biopsies, and I've only ever had FNAs for cysts, which are virtually always benign.

The sample size from an FNA is very small and any results - other than simply telling you that cancer cells are present - would be unreliable.

“No power so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.” Edmund Burke

Mar 5, 2019 06:13AM tovahsmom wrote:

Thank you again Beesie for chiming in. So FNAs are unreliable and cancer may not be present?

Patricia, Age 54, Dx ADH, ALH, LCIS, DCIS, BRCA - Dx 8/18/2009, DCIS/IDC: Cribriform, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/0 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 7/15/2015, Left Dx 3/1/2019, Right, <1cm Radiation Therapy Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast

Mar 5, 2019 06:53AM Beesie wrote:

Answered in your other post.

And best to stick to one thread so that all your questions and all the answers are in one place.

“No power so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.” Edmund Burke

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)