Join Us

We are 224,318 members in 83 forums discussing 163,493 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Should I be concerned with PDW high level in CBC ?

Forum: Diagnosed and Waiting for Test Results —

Share with and support others all waiting for test results from CAT scan, PET scan, Oncotype tests, Mammaprint, FISH, IHC, and other diagnostic tests.

Posted on: May 29, 2021 12:00PM

Ann_James wrote:

What does high PDW in a blood test indicate ? All values are in normal range , patient currently under hormonal therapy . PDW is 48 fl .

Do doctors reach a diagnosis upon it or it can be a laboratory error ?

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)

Posts 1 - 3 (3 total)

May 29, 2021 12:19PM jhl wrote:

Hi Ann,

Are you in the US? PDW stands for platelet distribution width. It is not a routine test on a CBC panel in the US. It, along with other tests is a marker for platelet activation. It can be a marker for thromboembolic events but is never a definitive diagnostic value in & of itself. It would be helpful to know the context in which the lab work was drawn.

Dx 11/15/2019, IDC: Cribriform, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH)

May 29, 2021 12:54PM Ann_James wrote:

No I'm not in the US . The routine blood test CBC I mean here includes this PDW , that's all . Not that the doctor ordered it specifically .

May 29, 2021 10:49PM jhl wrote:

Don't worry about it. It needs to be evaluated in context of the entire CBC. Ask your oncologist if it has any significance but as a random level, it is irrelevant.

Dx 11/15/2019, IDC: Cribriform, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH)

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)