Join Us

We are 224,318 members in 83 forums discussing 163,493 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: What is a Mammogram with Magnets - not an MRI

Forum: Diagnosed and Waiting for Test Results —

Share with and support others all waiting for test results from CAT scan, PET scan, Oncotype tests, Mammaprint, FISH, IHC, and other diagnostic tests.

Posted on: Jul 14, 2021 09:47AM

forcove wrote:

Is there a name for a mammo with magnets that's not an MRI? I'm called back for this and will get results from the radiologist. I'm confused about what this test is and she couldn't explain other than what I've just written. Is it 2D? 3D? Should I have asked for an even better diagnostic test?

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Jul 14, 2021 10:31AM exbrnxgrl wrote:

I am not sure but generally call back results in a diagnostic mammogram as opposed to the screening mammogram that you’ve already had. This is the most typical progression of tests after a screening mammogram shows an area of concern. I am not sure, at this point, what a better test would be since you first need to receive confirmation that indicates the need for a biopsy, which would be the next step. Take care

Bilateral mx 9/7/11 with one step ns reconstruction. As of 11/21/11, 2cm met to upper left femur Dx 7/8/2011, IDC, Left, 4cm, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/7/2011 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Dx 11/2011, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 11/21/2011 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 11/21/2011 Bone Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2014 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane)

Jul 15, 2021 10:11AM forcove wrote:

Thanks so much for replying. I’ve been assuming this means the area is likely to be cancer if the next step after this is biopsy. I just wish the woman on the phone who called me to come in had given me more clarity about the test. I guess the tests I’ve been reading about are more about diagnostic instead of screening. “Diagnostic” meaning it is cancer? Clearly I’m confused about what to think this next special mammo is. I have previously had two benign tumors removed, the last one years ago and had to be done as a “wire mammography” for the surgeon to cut it out. Small hospital. I was taken directly from the initial mammo to the surgeon’s office where he told me he disagreed with the radiologist who said “it didn’t look good”, to the surgeon saying he was 95% sure it wasn’t cancer. He was right. But this time, I don’t think it’s a lump, it’s more about lots of calcification. Thanks again for responding. I’m just nervous and trying to be in control of what happens to me next. Guess I’ll find out tomorrow!

Jul 15, 2021 10:43AM exbrnxgrl wrote:

forcove,

A diagnostic mammogram does not mean you have cancer. It means that an area of concern was seen on your screening mammo and it needs to be looked at more closely. A biopsy may be recommended, depending on the imaging, but even so, the vast, vast majority turn out to be benign. I know this is concerning but the only advice I have is to go with what you know right now. Thinking about the what if’s or worst case scenarios serves no purpose whatsoever. This is not easy to do but we’ll worth working on.

That being said, can you call your doctors office to ask for a clear explanation of what the mammogram you’ll be getting is exactly? I’m only guessing that it might be a diagnostic mammo, but all patients deserve to have clear understanding of what is going on with every aspect of their care. You may have to be more assertive but remember you are the customer and have every right to have things explained to you so that you thoroughly understand what is involved in your care. Without this knowledge, how can you make informed decisions? Take care.

Bilateral mx 9/7/11 with one step ns reconstruction. As of 11/21/11, 2cm met to upper left femur Dx 7/8/2011, IDC, Left, 4cm, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/7/2011 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Dx 11/2011, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 11/21/2011 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 11/21/2011 Bone Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2014 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane)

Jul 15, 2021 10:50AM bcincolorado wrote:

My MO orders diagnostic mamos for my non cancer side now all the time. They read them where I go when I am there and give me results when I when I am there though so I do not have to wait at least.

Dx 8/2009, IDC, Left, 5cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/6/2010 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left Hormonal Therapy 1/14/2010 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy 1/29/2016 Femara (letrozole)

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)