Join Us

We are 224,419 members in 83 forums discussing 163,542 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Can a core biopsy remove all DCIS?

Forum: Diagnosed and Waiting for Test Results —

Share with and support others all waiting for test results from CAT scan, PET scan, Oncotype tests, Mammaprint, FISH, IHC, and other diagnostic tests.

Posted on: Jul 14, 2021 03:00PM

DCMomof2 wrote:

Hi all,

My 72 y/o mother had a screening mammogram which led to repeat scans, biopsy, MRI and a diagnosis of a 0.4cm x 0.3 cm x 0.4 cm papillary carcinoma. She just underwent a lumpectomy last Friday and has a follow up appointment with the surgeon's office tomorrow. The pathology report that was uploaded to her medical file indicates that of the two surgical specimens taken, one with the biopsy cavity and one of the deep margin the diagnosis was:

A. Left lower inner quadrant breast tissue, needle localization Excision (lumpectomy): Recent biopsy site cavity adn intraductal papilloma showing columnar cell change, breast triple stain immunostain supports a diagnosis of papilloma, negative for carcinoma in situ

B. Left Breast deep Margin: Benign mammary tissue showing a recent biopsy site cavity, negative for carcinoma in situ.

The report goes on to state:

Pre-operative diagnosis: DCIS of left breast

Post-operative diagnosis: same

Does this mean that the biopsy removed all the papillary carcinoma OR was the biopsy results a false positive? We'll get answers tomorrow at the follow-up, but just anxious to know others' thoughts??

Thanks!!!

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)

Posts 1 - 2 (2 total)

Jul 14, 2021 03:45PM kathabus wrote:

Hi—I can tell you that I had an estimated 8mm papilloma that was all removed with a core needle biopsy so it is possible. We didn’t know that until after the lumpectomy.

Diagnosed at 43 Years Old, Oncotype DX 10 Dx 2/17/2020, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 1/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/23/2020 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal Radiation Therapy 5/14/2020 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Surgery 7/20/2020 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 8/20/2020 Femara (letrozole)

Jul 14, 2021 04:01PM eviec1 wrote:

All of my IDC was removed during the biopsy so that all that was left during lumpectomy was the DCIS. So it can happen if it's very small.

Dx 5/13/2021, DCIS, Right, 3cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+ Dx 5/13/2021, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 6/7/2021 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 7/14/2021 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 9/7/2021 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)