Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Waiting on HER 2 results

BCnewbie
BCnewbie Member Posts: 2

Hello everyone! I am newly diagnosed with Invasive ductal carcinoma, grade 2, and ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS), nuclear grade 3, solid and cribriform patterns with focal necrosis and microcalcifications.

I just received word that I am ER+/PR+ and my HER 2 results with a score of 2 and so now I am waiting for additional staining (FISH).

Has anyone been in this situation? I'm curious how significant a score of 2 is? How likely is it to come back positive? I am also waiting to schedule genetic testing and wondering how any of this might affect the path of my treatment. Any information would be helpful!

Also just wanted to say how informative and helpful this forum is! It has answered so many questions for me!

Comments

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,044

BC - welcome although we're sorry you have to be here. I was ER/PR negative but HER2+, but you'll find lots of women who are triple positive. I just wanted to say that it's not a bad thing to be HER2+. There are so many treatments now that are not otherwise available. One frequent result is that you have chemo before surgery (neoadjuvant), but each MO is different.

The waiting is terrible we know. Try to keep your mind occupied with walks or binge watching TV. Hope the wait isn't too long.

• LivinLife
    LivinLife Member Posts: 301

Just want to welcome you BCnewbie! I can't really add anything to what MinusTwo said.... At this point you're waiting on more results to firm up a plan and the waiting is soooo difficult. Do the best at taking care of you during this time.....

• BCnewbie
    BCnewbie Member Posts: 2

Thank you for your responses LivinLife and MinusTwo! Just got the call and I AM HER2 negative! I'm so grateful at how quickly my healthcare provider is able to give me answers! It's also nice to hear the encouragement and feedback of those who have experienced this already! Thank you so much!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,816

Hi BCnewbie and welcome to Breastcancer.org,

We're so very sorry to hear of your diagnosis, but we're really glad you've found us. As you can already see, our Community is full of amazing members always willing to offer advice, information, encouragement, and support -- we're all here for you!

You mention waiting for genetic testing and what that could mean for your treatment. The main Breastcancer.org site has an extensive section on Genetic Testing that could give you some great insight on what this could all mean.

We hope this helps and please let us know if there's anything at all we can do to help! Welcome again!

--The Mods

• cinnkat
    cinnkat Member Posts: 3

My results were thesame as yours. I just got the official they the Her2 FISH came back negative.

• mmbrown
    mmbrown Member Posts: 1

I'm in the same boat now as you were in & hopefully my result also comes back negative! So happy for you. 💖

• MomofFarmBoys
    MomofFarmBoys Member Posts: 1

Yep, I'm new and not even sure of all my numbers. Had many appointments last week but we are still waiting for my HER2 results. This waiting is so hard! I was told today that maybe by Friday I'll have results. I had my regular screening mammagram the 9th of December. It seems like such a long time ago.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,816

Welcome, MomofFarmBoys! We're so sorry you find yourself here in this waiting game, we know it's not easy. We hope you get your results soon, please do keep us posted!

The Mods

• Blinx
    Blinx Member Posts: 82

MomofFarmBoys - It's excruciating waiting, I know. I have 3 tumors and got HER2 results in for 2 of them fairly quickly. The 3rd one they wanted to run several times, because it didn't make sense. 2 tumors were TNBC and the 3rd one tumor turned out to be HER2+. Had to wait 5 weeks for that result. It delayed, and then changed my planned chemo treatment. Hoping you get results and a treatment plan soon.

• sarahmaude
    sarahmaude Member Posts: 336

I’m also waiting on FISH results. Have been since 2/17. Apparently there are a lot of delays. My hospital sends them out. It’s so hard to wait for so long when it determines the timing and types of treatment.

You are not alone