Join Us

We are 224,319 members in 83 forums discussing 163,493 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Oncotype DX vs MammaPrint Results

Forum: Diagnosed and Waiting for Test Results —

Share with and support others all waiting for test results from CAT scan, PET scan, Oncotype tests, Mammaprint, FISH, IHC, and other diagnostic tests.

Posted on: Sep 25, 2021 10:04AM

ilenef wrote:

I am 72 years old with mixed ductal and lobular invasive cancer 1.3cm in my left breast. I am HR+, HER2-, no involved nodes as yet known (I have not had surgery yet due to a large, resolving hematoma after my stereotactic breast biopsy last May). I have been taking Anastrozole since June. When my MammaPrint test came back High Risk (but on the bar graph, at the low end of High Risk) my medical oncologist recommended TC chemo, 4 rounds. Researching cold capping, I discovered that it was available fairly close by, but at another location within the oncology network. My medical oncologist referred me to a medical oncologist at that location. He was not confident that my MammaPrint results (prognostic) were enough to subject me to the side effects of chemo and wanted to see how my Oncotype DX (predictive) results would look. If they came back High Risk, we would go ahead with chemo. My Oncotype DX came back with a Low Risk score. I will meet with my original medical oncologist tomorrow and my Breast Cancer Navigator wants to bring these semi-conflicting results to the semi-monthly Tumor Board meeting for review. Whereas I feel like I should be jumping for joy at my Low Risk results, I am tentative and waiting to see what my original medical oncologist and the Tumor Board say. I am now 95% certain that I do not want to have chemo.

If anyone has had similar somewhat conflicting results from their genetic testing results (I also had BRCA testing, which came back negative), I would love their input.

Thank you,

Ilene

Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)

Posts 1 - 3 (3 total)

Log in to post a reply

Sep 25, 2021 04:01PM - edited Sep 25, 2021 04:02PM by Emily21

If your oncotype score is less than 20, and you are node negative and over 50, chemo is of no benefit a d can do more harm than good. Good luck.


Dx 9/4/2020, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 3/31 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 9/22/2020 Lumpectomy Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 3DCRT: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxol)
Log in to post a reply

Sep 25, 2021 05:35PM ilenef wrote:

Thank you for your reply. That makes me feel so much better. I still wrestle with uncertainty...did I do the right thing by not having chemo? As I mentioned in my original post, the Breast Cancer Navigator from major city 1 thought my case was interesting and wanted to present it to the Tumor Board. The oncologist from major city 1 Tumor Board, very much a MammaPrint person, concluded that I should have gone through chemo. So oncologist in major city 1 said 'chemo' based on MammaPrint. Oncologist in major city 2 said 'no chemo' based on Oncotype DX score. If that isn't enough to drive one crazy. Lots of research later I made my own decision: no chemo.

Log in to post a reply

Sep 25, 2021 11:14PM Cowgirl13 wrote:

I think there may be other factors here, besides being low oncotype, node negative and over 50. Lobular can be very sneaky. Getting a second opinion can be very helpful. Good luck.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the Devil says: 'Oh crap! She's up! Dx 5/28/2009, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 6/17/2009 Chemotherapy 8/3/2009 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 12/21/2009 Hormonal Therapy 2/23/2010 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)