Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Cancer in lymph nodes=Chemo??

Options
startnew12212
startnew12212 Member Posts: 45

Hello

In 2020 I was diagnosed and went through it all! Now, a dear friend has been diagnosed and is waiting on her oncotype results. She had a lumpectomy and 2 lymph nodes removed. There was cancer in one. Her dr. is waiting on the oncotype results to determine if chemo is needed. I thought if cancer is in the lymph nodes, it is automatic chemo. Is this not correct? Did anyone have cancer in their lymph nodes and not have chemo? How is the cancer effectively removed and not spread then?

I am worried about my friend. Thank you.

Comments

• hopeful82014
    hopeful82014 Member Posts: 887
    Options

Hi - I've sent you a message on this topic.

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 830
    Options

I'd like to know too. I know someone who was diagnosed a couple of years after me,had a couple nodes positive, but no chemo. I want to say it has something also to do with grade and size of tumor?

• sarah_78
    sarah_78 Member Posts: 119
    Options

I got the following for you from NCCN guidelines for BC:

It says the gene tests would show if chemotherapy has a benefit or not, probably your friend is waiting for the result of that test.

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,940
    Options

I had a positive node and no chemo. I think if it's more than 3 nodes, chemo is automatically given. Anything lower gets the Oncotype run, and for people like me with a low enough score, it can mean no chemo. My oncologist was surprised that my score was low enough.

• hopeful82014
    hopeful82014 Member Posts: 887
    Options

I was stage IIA with positive nodes and a high-moderate Oncotype score. However, I'd also had a strong response to neoadjuvant letrozole. One MO strongly urged chemo (TCx4) and another said she thought I could go either way. I did not do chemo. I did do 5 years letrozole and am continuing on tamoxifen. So far, so good. Knock on wood.

• startnew12212
    Options

Thankyou, everyone!

• startnew12212
    Options

Thank you, everyone!