Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Oncotype question

Options
Bluegirl27
Bluegirl27 Member Posts: 28

Oncotype question. I had left mastectomy 7/27. Pathology showedEr/Pr + and HER2 equivalent so was sent off for FISH and so oncologist was waiting for that before ordering Oncotype. FiSH came back HER2 low, so for now they consider it neg. My original biopsy was done only on 1 tumor.because the other one was found on MRI after biopsy. Biopsy pathology showed HER2 neg. Oncologist office calls today to see if I can switch my appt (first one since surgery) from 9/6 to 9/13 because they have one oncotype test result back but the oncologist ordered another one on a different specimen. I asked if he could give me the number they have but he said no unfortunately the oncologist wants to go over all the results in person.

Has anyone ever had 2 get 2 oncotypes? If so do you know why?

Comments

• sarahmaude
    sarahmaude Member Posts: 336
    edited September 2022
    Options

I have not heard of doing two oncotypes, but if the pathology on them is different, it makes sense . I do know that I was able to call their customer support and they emailed me a copy of my full report. I know most doctors like to give the results face to face. Mine were hard to read, looked like they were faxed. That’s why I called. Every time I’ve called Exact Sciences I’ve been very pleased with the interaction.

I wonder if your first number was low and that’s why they want to check the second number. The only real outcome of the OncoType test is whether or not chemotherapy is beneficial. If one site had a high number, there doesn’t seem to be an advantage to getting a second test.

• btwnstars
    btwnstars Member Posts: 81
    edited September 2022
    Options

I had 3 biopsies before surgery, so only had 1 oncotype done on IDC tumor.

I think its good they are being thorough and testing both samples because its possible to have different pathology in different tumors.

I think my doctor did give me results over phone with a brief explanation of what I would most likely need to do then we went over it more after.

Sorry to see you are going through this again. Hoping for the best results for you!