Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

ct scan for high calcium

amybirnbaum1
amybirnbaum1 Member Posts: 12

hi all. i finished my kadcyla 3 months ago. my last calcium’s were 10.2. 10.2. 10.7. 10.2. doc now ordering full ct of body to look for cancer. i was stage 1A triple positive. did tchp. lumpectomy. rads. anastrazol. anyone else deal with thus

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,816

Hi amy,

We're so sorry to hear of your concerning calcium levels, and hope you get answers soon! We wanted to point you to this new research news article we posted on New Guidelines on Treating High Calcium Levels in People With Cancer.

We hope you find this helpful. Please keep us posted on what your CT scan shows.

--The Mods

• vlnrph
    vlnrph Member Posts: 487

Scanxiety can be the worst - waiting to schedule the appointment, then with any delay in receiving results, more concern. Try to be thankful that your doctors are investigating this suspicious lab report. Be sure to hydrate well!

My mild hypercalcemia (which yours seems to be) in 2015 also bought me a parathyroid workup which was negative. It took 3 years for bone metastases to make themselves known. If they see just a single lesion, a “cure" might be possible.

There could be dietary factors influencing your levels. Check labels on any supplements & antacids you take. Consider how much vitamin D you get from various sources because it boosts calcium absorption. Best wishes for a benign outcome.

• emotionalpond
    emotionalpond Member Posts: 31

Hi

I hope they test you for hyperparathyroidism! This is what I have.

• devoinaz
    devoinaz Member Posts: 40

@amybirnbaum1 I hope your calcium levels are nothing to worry about because I have them, too! My oncologist was unconcerned, and I had to push them to even test me for the parathyroid issue (which I don't have). I don't know how old you are, but one thought I had is that my slightly elevated calcium levels happened when I hit menopause, which also happened to be when I was diagnosed with BC. My levels were just under 10 before (9.8, 9.9), and now, like you, they are just over 10 (highest I've gotten was a 10.5, but mostly 10.1, 10.2). I'm in chemotherapy right now, so I'm curious if that will change my calcium levels...

Anyhow, best of luck!