Join Us

We are 219,697 members in 84 forums discussing 161,627 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: long term side effects after core needle biopsy

Forum: Benign Breast Conditions —

A safe place to discuss benign (non-cancerous) breast conditions. Benign breast conditions are unusual growths or other changes in the breast tissue that are not cancer, though some may be associated with an increase in breast cancer risk. Benign breast conditions are quite common.

Posted on: Apr 4, 2018 02:35AM

INFJen wrote:

Has anyone else experienced long term side effects after core needle biopsy? I had a MRI guided biopsy done on my healthy breast 3 months ago and it has never been the same since. The biopsy itself was excruciatingly painful as it was done near the chest wall where the lidocaine did not reach. The skin around the needle entry point formed a large rash that took several weeks to heal and the nipple became inverted and was painful until recently. The breast itself remains sore and even feels numb and tingly now. 2 weeks post biopsy I tried consulting my breast surgeon about it who just said the biopsy must have disrupted the surrounding tissue and ducts but that he did not think it was infected. He didn't seem too worried and said to give it time to heal. I recently got imaging done (ultrasound & mammogram) in hopes of finding some answers but was told that the imaging did not show anything abnormal (per the same doctor who performed the biopsy). I asked if the clip left behind from the biopsy could be causing these problems and was told that it was highly unlikely too. She said I could try an MRI if I really wanted but that would be so expensive and I'm worried that will show nothing too. I have no idea what to do at this point and am wondering if I am the only person who has experienced this sort of problem.

Dx 12/12/2017, IDC/IDC: Mucinous, Right, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/12/2018 Lumpectomy: Right

Page 1 of 1 (15 results)

Posts 1 - 15 (15 total)

Apr 4, 2018 02:44AM Egads007 wrote:

INFJen, how awful for you! The only long term side effect I had from the biopsy was a cancer diagnosis lol. My biopsy only took a few days to recover. Could you have nerve damage? (Only a guess) you could flip your question to DJMammo’s thread, he would probably be the best to ask. I really hope you’re feeling better soon, keep us posted

"I base all my fashion choices on what doesn't itch" (Gilda Radner) Chemotherapy 3/19/2013 Doxil (doxorubicin), Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 8/23/2013 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right Radiation Therapy 10/31/2013 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Dx IDC, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Apr 4, 2018 02:50AM - edited Apr 4, 2018 02:52AM by wrenn

I had no side effects after mine but I wonder if it is nerve damage? Nerves regenerating can feel weird and take a while. I had surgery to parotid gland in face and a year and a half later started to sweat when I ate. The nerve attached to a sweat gland instead of salivary gland. Ask about nerve damage from the procedure. It isn't harmful but if that is what it is I think it takes a while to heal.

It would bug me too. Hopefully you can get some answers.

Edited to add I would not ask the person who performed the procedure in case it makes her feel defensive.

Metaplastic IDC Triple negative...Tumour is 1.5cm. BMX Aug. 16th. Chemo cancelled after one dose due to complications. Dx 7/25/2013, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/6 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 8/16/2013 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right

Apr 4, 2018 02:57AM Veeder14 wrote:

INFJen,

When I had my biopsy the clip left in caused me pain even though I was told I wouldn't be able to feel it. It turned out that it migrated 1cm from where it was placed. Of course the clip was removed during the lumpectomy surgery; and now I have a different clip in there. What about getting a second opinion from another breast surgeon.

Dx 1/2/2018, ILC, Left, <1cm, Stage IB, Grade 1, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/25/2018 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 3/7/2018 Hormonal Therapy 2/28/2019 Hormonal Therapy

Apr 4, 2018 03:03AM - edited Apr 4, 2018 04:31AM by KBeee

Perhaps an MRI at a different facility would led to answers. I'd want someone else to weigh in.

Karen. Dx 8/5/2013, IDC, Right, 1cm, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 8/25/2013 Mastectomy: Left, Right Chemotherapy 9/19/2013 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 12/11/2013 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 1/22/2014 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Surgery 1/28/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Dx 2/2/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Grade 2, 0/0 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 2/24/2015 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Prophylactic ovary removal Dx 2/25/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Grade 3, 0/13 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- (IHC) Chemotherapy 3/30/2015 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 8/24/2015 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole)

Apr 4, 2018 03:42AM INFJen wrote:

Egads007 - lol yes I am also familiar with that "side effect" as well ;P Nerve damage is a good guess! I didn't think of that. DJMammo does seem like a good resource. Hopefully, he may have some insight on my issue.

wrenn - I'm beginning to think nerve damage may be my problem too. Good point about asking another doctor... the one who performed the biopsy seemed more interested in "proving" everything was fine rather than listening to my concerns or helping me with my condition.

Veeder14 - Sorry you had problems with your clip but glad it was resolved. The biopsy doctor said she had never seen anyone have an issue with the clip before so next time I'll tell her I know someone that did.

Thank you all for the feedback! I have been feeling so alone in the dark about this issue... I definitely will keep digging and try getting my next opinion from an unrelated doctor or facility.

Dx 12/12/2017, IDC/IDC: Mucinous, Right, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/12/2018 Lumpectomy: Right

Apr 8, 2018 11:08AM Recap wrote:

Did you have pain before your tests/procedures? If so, are you having more or less now? I was experiencing a lot of pain. Following the core biopsy I still have random winces of pain but much less than before and none that cause me to say Ouch!  My assumption is because they removed so much tissue during the biopsy my breast is happier. I wonder if you are forming scar tissue resulting in an increase in pressue? I know from a few experiences of foot edema the numbness and or stabbing pains that come from expanding skin.

Apr 10, 2018 01:09AM INFJen wrote:

Recap - Hi Recap, I did not have any pain or problems with my left breast prior to the biopsy. The pain level now is not high but it is constantly sore and the nipple tip is still a bit inverted. The numb tingly feeling went on for about a week but seems to have settled down now. As someone who is fighting cancer right now with one breast, having this lingering problem on the "healthy" side is very unnerving.

Apr 13, 2018 06:13AM INFJen wrote:

Found an article regarding markers/clips used in biopsies... So maybe this could be my issue too.

https://www.healthcentral.com/article/the-titanium...

May 30, 2018 03:26AM graceeallen wrote:

I had my biopsy like 3 months ago and I still feel sharp pains in the area. I also have tattoos where they drew on me and then stuck the needle in.

May 31, 2018 01:11AM INFJen wrote:

graceeallen - I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing pain well after your biopsy too. It has been 5 months for me and I am still experiencing side effects. My biopsied breast feels numb and tingly very often. I've asked my doctors about it, gotten ultrasounds & 3D mammos to check it out and have been told that nothing is the matter. I've beaten breast cancer but I can't even feel good about it because I have this gnawing pain on the left side that keeps the fear living on.

Jun 23, 2018 12:26PM - edited Jun 23, 2018 10:10PM by Victoria66

I just had my stereotactic core needle biopsy this past Monday. I was told I would only feel pressure and not pain. WELL, the pain was so intense, I screamed and jumped at the first (burst). I spent the rest of the time crying like a baby. No doubt, it hurt like a you know what. after dr shot me 3 more additional times with the lidocaine, it was still painful but more tolerable. The stinging pain for the next hour after it was done was so excruciating. On Wednesday, they called with good news that it's not cancer but they want me back in 6 months. Now 5 days later, my breast is so swollen my nipple is inverted. Mass was behind my nipple so that part is painful to touch but not as bad as before. The bruising is horrible and looks like I was beat. I do keep a sports bra on for binding as it helps. Also still putting ice on. I hope I never have to do this again. But, with my mother passing from breast cancer, I feel my stakes are a little higher. My question is, with 3 bad mammograms and one resulting in a biopsy, I'm wondering if I should consider mastectomy to avoid possible future breast cancer. Also, how can I get the BRAC? test done

Jul 24, 2018 12:15PM 88tina88 wrote:

Victoria, ask your doctor about the genetic testing, or the radiology place you've been to. I think they said if you have two close relatives they will consider you a good candidate-i.e. insurance will cover it.

I had a stereotactic biopsy a month ago and I'm still not over it... the procedure itself was fine, they took 6 calcifications out and I was careful to ice it for over 24 hours because I had some excess bleeding issues and a hematoma.

It gradually got to almost normal in about 2 weeks and then suddenly I had severe pain. Ended up in the ER where they gave me antibiotics. Mastitis, basically. The antibiotics worked and within about 12 hours it was a lot better.

I got an ultrasound a few days later and all they could see were extremely inflamed ducts right behind the nipple. They lit up like Christmas lights! Now it's a month out and I seem to have a swollen gland in that armpit, off and on pain and the bruising is almost gone, but still a cup size of swelling.

I have to have an excisional biopsy anyway because it's a radial scar, so when I met with the breast surgeon I asked her about it and she basically said sometimes things get inflamed from the biopsy and don't worry about it. So I'm trying. :) Next biopsy isn't for another month because I want to see the genetic results first.

Jan 14, 2021 05:56AM TinaMW wrote:

Hi INFjen,

I had a stereotactic core needle biopsy done on my right breast in Sept 2020. It is mid-January and I am still having discomfort, pain and burning. I was told I would have minor discomfort for a few weeks. It's been 4 months. Sometimes, while walking, it feels like something is moving around in my breast, and at times it feels like there is a void in my breast. I have stinging and there is a small lump, or something in my nipple that is very painful. My biopsy, thank the Lord, was negative for cancer. I hate to think this is a result of the assault, yes assault, on my breast tissue, but I'm afraid it is and I'm just going to have to deal with it. I'm going to have it checked out, but will NEVER go through that biopsy again. I have Multiple Sclerosis and am also wondering if there was nerve damage and that's why I'm hurting. That's my long term effect story.

Jan 14, 2021 06:03AM MinusTwo wrote:

Tina - INFjen hasn't been on the web site since June of 2018, and the last post on this threatd was also 2018. You may not get a response, but this will at least keep it active one more time. Sorry for your problems. Please do call your doc.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Jan 15, 2021 03:47AM Sunshine99 wrote:

Tina, I agree with MinusTwo. It doesn't seem like it should still be hurting. Do give your doc a call and get it checked. Let us know...

Cancer has progressed to my bones. I pray that it never enters my soul. Dx 11/2/2007, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIA, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 3/26/2020, ILC/IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH) Hormonal Therapy 4/22/2020 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 5/5/2020 External: Bone Radiation Therapy 5/12/2020 External: Bone Targeted Therapy 6/10/2020 Ibrance (palbociclib)

Page 1 of 1 (15 results)