Join Us

We are 224,301 members in 83 forums discussing 163,483 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Evista

Forum: Benign Breast Conditions —

A safe place to discuss benign (non-cancerous) breast conditions. Benign breast conditions are unusual growths or other changes in the breast tissue that are not cancer, though some may be associated with an increase in breast cancer risk. Benign breast conditions are quite common.

Posted on: Dec 6, 2018 11:04PM

Lakegirl13 wrote:

Has anyone been on Evista? Side effects? Worried about losing quality of life if start this. Diagnosed with ADH. Had a lumpectomy last week and dr recommending this course as preventative measure

Page 1 of 1 (8 results)

Posts 1 - 8 (8 total)

Dec 7, 2018 07:45AM Moderators wrote:

Hi Lakegirl - We want to send you a warm welcome to the BCO Community.

Until you hear from others here as well, we wanted to recommend you the following articles from our main site and other related thread from our boards where you may want to chime in:

We hope this helps!

Best wishes,

From the Mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Dec 7, 2018 04:22PM momoschki wrote:

Yes, I have been on Evista for 4 years- also dx’ed with ADH. I do experience insomnia and hot flashes, but then I had these before the Evista, so who knows if it’s to blame. Other than that, it’s very tolerable. I like to feel that it’s affording me some orotection

ADH dx 3/11 Surgery 3/10/2011 Lumpectomy: Left

Dec 13, 2018 07:16PM kimberly62 wrote:

Hi Lakegirl, I have been on Evista for about 9 months and have done just fine. I was previously on Tamoxifen, then my Doctor switched me to Exemestane after menopause which caused all sorts of side effects. I have been pleasantly surprised with Evista, and it's not hard on your bones like aromatase inhibitors are.

ALH-2015

Nov 26, 2020 02:36PM Jaybird627 wrote:

I tolerated Evista quite well - was pre-menopausal at the time. No withdrawal symptoms.

Jaybird. My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope - Ovid. Dx 3/5/2005, IDC, Right, Stage IIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/5/2005 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Prophylactic ovary removal; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Latissimus dorsi flap, Silicone implant

Dec 7, 2020 08:12AM GoKale4320 wrote:

I have been on Raloxifene ( generic equivalent to Evista) for 8.5 months. I was diagnosed with osteoporosis after dexa scan.In the last couple months, I have had various pains in my feet on tops, one ankle/foot swollen (but improved with rest/ice/ibuprofen). Now I have tremendous pain in my hips and back of legs. I can barely walk. So starting today I’m taking a break from the medicine to see if that’s the cause.

I have tried heat, foam rolling, stretches, rest, anti-inflammatory spices, coconut water, tartcherry juice and extra water, chamomile tea with no relief. I’m waiting to receive an order of Magnesium glycinate to start taking that.

Has anyone dealt with debilitating leg pain with success? Is there a natural remedy? Is it temporary and I just need to ride it out?

Dx: January 2017, IDC, Stage IIa, 1/23 nodes, <1cm Chemo 2/16/17 Cytoxan Taxotere x4 Radiation 6/8/2017, natural alternative to tamoxifen 3/2021 Stage 4 - mets to bones. Ibrance and Letrozole and Xgeva Dx 1/2017, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 8, 2020 09:07AM GoKale4320 wrote:

I decided to take a break from Raloxifene starting yesterday. On Sunday, I tried to go all day without Advil and I limped around the house. Also experienced leg weakness so if I felt unstable when I pivoted on my right leg. Yesterday I skipped the Raloxifene dose but took an Advil so I could more easily walk 10 minutes from the car to the office. Felt better with the Advil all day.

Today is day 2 without Raloxifene. I don’t have pain down the back of my legs and can walk easier, but I do have pain in the tops of my glutes. Feels good to stretch. But it’s worrisome. Trying to decide whether to take an Advil.

Yesterday my PCP said to stop the Raloxifene and see if pain goes away. If it doesn’t, then I should make an appointment with her for X-rays, etc. Hopefully I will experience continuing improvements and get back to normal.

Dx: January 2017, IDC, Stage IIa, 1/23 nodes, <1cm Chemo 2/16/17 Cytoxan Taxotere x4 Radiation 6/8/2017, natural alternative to tamoxifen 3/2021 Stage 4 - mets to bones. Ibrance and Letrozole and Xgeva Dx 1/2017, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 11, 2021 09:28AM GoKale4320 wrote:

Here’s an update on quitting Raloxifene: it has been a little more than a month since I quit. Initially, I felt improvement. With sporadic Advil maybe a couple times a week, I felt okay during the day and stiffness would set in late afternoon and evening. I tried a lot of things like increasing water intake, coconut water, tart cherry juice, cut back on processed foods, chamomile tea. I also tried acupuncture and deep tissue massage which hepled some. I felt much better after two acupuncture treatments plus a few days recovery from that. But I have not recovered from the 3rd and 4th treatments. I may cancel this week’s appointment. Saturday, I tried running in the neighborhood, but it was too much and felt a setback in my recovery. So I continue to walk for exercise, ride my bike when the weather allows, stretching and light weights, but I wish I could do more.

I was on Raloxifene for 8.5 months and the drug has a 27-32 hour half life so at this point, I should be back to how I felt before the worst pain started, but I’m not. For it to be completely cleared out, I calculate that day to be mid November, 2021.

I have not read much on this board about Raloxifene side effects (and some people have zero problems), but in case someone else has a similar experience to mine, just thought I would update.

Apr 10, 2021 11:44PM BCat40 wrote:

I tried Raloxifene for a month and ended up quitting as it was causing pain on the tops of my hands of feet and making my joints lock up, in addition to other random aches and pains that made me feel like I was 80-90 yrs old. It was also making my muscles sore after basic exercise that never made me sore before.

Dx at 40. Did not tolerate hormone deprivation treatment. Dx 2/4/2020, LCIS/ILC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/25/2020 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 6/2/2020 Whole-breast: Breast

Page 1 of 1 (8 results)