Join Us

We are 216,310 members in 84 forums discussing 160,177 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Anyone misdiagnosed with fibroadenoma?

Forum: Benign Breast Conditions —

A safe place to worry for members who have not been diagnosed with breast cancer, but have concerns about their breasts.

Posted on: May 11, 2019 04:26PM

Christinadukie wrote:

I have one that is going to be followed up in six months with ultrasound. I am very afraid it's something else. The breast surgeon and the radiologist think no biopsy is necessary at this time.

Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (9 results)

Posts 1 - 9 (9 total)

Log in to post a reply

May 11, 2019 04:58PM MelissaDallas wrote:

I’d trust the response you got on the Interpreting Your Report thread.

LCIS, extensive sclerosing adenosis, TAH/BSO & partial omentectomy for mucinous borderline ovarian tumor.
Log in to post a reply

May 11, 2019 06:27PM Christinadukie wrote:

thank you Melissa. Sorry for thr repeated posts. Just extremely fightened

Log in to post a reply

May 13, 2019 05:36PM - edited May 13, 2019 05:43PM by LaurenN

This Post was deleted by LaurenN.
Log in to post a reply

May 13, 2019 10:48PM ddfair wrote:


I understand your fears. I was misdiagnosed with a fibroadenoma. No less than 8 doctors agreed that it was most certainly a fibroadenoma. Guess what? All 8 of them were wrong! This was at a large teaching hospital. Nothing showed as a problem on mammogram or ultrasound. The doctors wanted to wait and watch. I insisted on a lumpectomy. Boy was the surgeon shocked when it turned out to be a malignant phyloides tumour with DCIS and LCIS all within the same lump. Nearly everyone with a phyloides tumour is initially diagnosed with a fibroadenoma. So as someone who has actually been there, I would highly recommend you at least get a needle biopsy. I wouldn't wait 6 months. Fibroadenomas and phyloides grow very large and very fast! Sorry to disagree with Melissa, but I would not trust the reponse you got on the other thread.


Log in to post a reply

May 14, 2019 11:38AM - edited May 20, 2019 10:25PM by Rshep9101

I was told it was a fibroadenoma, we watched it and measured it for a few years. It began growing rapidly, when it was removed it was a Hamartoma.

Rebekah -whatididwhilewaiting.blogspot.... Microcalcifications,ALH, Lump, Strong Family History. Excison on 11/30. 10/2012 2 Fibroadenomas. Core needle Biopsy. Surgery Excisional Wire-guided biopsy 11/15/2018 Dx 11/1/2010 Surgery 11/15/2018 Lumpectomy Surgery 8/5/2019 Lumpectomy: Left, Right Dx
Log in to post a reply

May 24, 2019 07:30PM Christinadukie wrote:

The thought of it being with phylloides tumor is scaring me. I unfortunately have to wait until August to be seen by the breast surgeon for the fu ultrasound, because of my insurance. At that point it will be a little less than the six month reccomendation. Terrifying.

Log in to post a reply

Jun 3, 2019 09:47PM Lala-44 wrote:

I have had several. They were just that. Fibroadenomas. At first I felt as you did and they recommended 6 month follow up. I wasn’t comfortable with that so I went after 3 months. There was no change therefore it was a B9. It stayed for years, same size and was seen in every breast ultrasound until it vanished last year. I wouldn’t jump to a biopsy right away I would wait 3 months and go back and see if there has been growth. I got several opinions and no one wanted to biopsy from get go. Depends on what you feel comfortable with

Log in to post a reply

Jun 4, 2019 02:54PM Buddyrock wrote:

I appreciate you sharing your experience LaLa. I have what is most likely a fibroadenoma. First seen Nov 2018, put on 6 month recheck schedule. Most recent scan May 2019 was stable with no change. I go back Nov 2019 for another 6 month check. I did visit a specialist after my 1st scan and she was very helpful in unpacking my results and answering questions

Log in to post a reply

Jun 11, 2019 07:50PM aseal321 wrote:

I had a biopsy on 6/5 and it came back as a fibroadenoma. I am being sent to a breast surgeon, my appt is this coming Monday 6/17...I just got my results this morning. My dr is concerned and doesn't want them to "miss" something. She called me this morning and had already put in the referral, an hr later I got a call from the surgeons office. I am glad its moving fast, and at the same time, I am confused as to why a surgeon visit is needed. It may be coming out completely I guess, but not sure if thats what I want at this point...I am opting for a 3 mth wait. We will see what the surgeon says I guess

Page 1 of 1 (9 results)