Topic: UDH fibroadenoma

Forum: Benign Breast Conditions — A safe place to discuss benign (non-cancerous) breast conditions.

Posted on: Aug 20, 2021 10:20AM

Posted on: Aug 20, 2021 10:20AM

Sunandstars wrote:

Hello! I was just diagnosed with benign fibroadenoma and UDH hyperplasia.

Does anyone know, how much does this increase my cancer risk in the future?

I want it removed because of the elevated risk and visibilitybut my doctor wasn’t really concerned 😟

Page 2 of 2 (12 results)

Aug 21, 2021 10:28AM - edited Aug 21, 2021 10:42AM by beesie.is.out-of-office

Sunandstars, I think the answer to whether UDH increases risk is one of definition.

As women, we all have a baseline breast cancer risk of approx. 4%-5%. But the "average" woman has a 12.5% risk of developing breast cancer during her lifetime. That's the "1 in 8 women will develop breast cancer" figure that we all have drilled into our heads from the press and our doctors and any other reading we do. The difference between the the 4%-5% and 12.5% figures is driven by two factors.

First, by definition, the "average risk for all women" includes all women, some of whom are low risk and some of whom are high risk.

Second, it is also true that eventually many if not most women are found to have one or two small risk factors, whether it's family risk, or environmental exposure, or one of the more than dozen different low risk or high risk breast conditions out there. For those of us who've had breast cancer, often our pathology reports include incidental findings - mine read like a pathology textbook, I had so much crap in there, none of which was of any concern except for the 1 high risk condition I had (ADH), and of course, the breast cancer itself. Women who've never have a biopsy most likely never know that they have some of these conditions.

I have no idea what other risk factors you may have, if you have any at all. But looking just at the UDH, if you take the highest possible risk that some websites mention, "1.5 to 2 times the risk" (which is specific to moderate or florid usual hyperplasia without atypia; mild usual hyperplasia does not increase risk), on it's own at most UDH might take your risk from the 4%-5% baseline up to 8%-10%. This is still lower than the 12.5% average for all women.

So does having UDH increase your breast cancer risk? Maybe, maybe not. Either way, I think most doctors/breast experts would say that it's already built into the mix.

One question: Sunandstars, how old are you? And how large is the fibroadenoma (I've had two and they were huge). Usually fibroadenomas are left in place in younger women (teens, 20s) because they may eventually shrink on their own but sometimes they are removed in women who are older (particularly 40 and above). This isn't because of the risk from the fibroadenoma, but because a large solid fibroadenoma may block imaging of the breast and hide something more serious.

Aug 21, 2021 03:05PM Sunandstars wrote:

Beesie - Thanks, I’m 35 and my fibroadenoma is 18 x 12 x 16mm. So, not that huge but fairly visibl

Page 2 of 2 (12 results)

Scroll to top button