Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Mild breast pain on right side (had IDC on left side in 2015)

Options
janeqpoppy
janeqpoppy Member Posts: 28
edited February 2022 in Benign Breast Conditions

I've had mild pain in my right breast for the last two-ish weeks. I saw my surgeon about it and she scheduled a mammogram for Feb 9 (that was the soonest available). I asked her if an MRI or sonogram would be appropriate, and she said an MRI would probably show too much and a sonogram not enough.

You can see my history in my footnote, and if weren't for that history, I'd probably just have blown this off. But you know how it is-- once you've been struck by lightning, you can't ignore anything anymore.

The pain level-- it's really more of a mild ache-- hovers around the 2-3 level, sometimes approaching 4. I had always been in the habit of wearing strapless underwire bras, but when this started I ditched those and have been trying to find a comfortable bra. Going braless makes it a little worse, as the pain resembles the gravity-induced ache of going all day without a bra. I'm not huge-- about a c-cup. The pain comes and goes. Sometimes I can go all day without it, and sometimes it lingers most of the day. It also travels around the breast, sometimes on top, sometimes medial, sometimes lateral. Not underneath though. It doesn't seem related to my activity level (I'm NOT what you'd call "active" -- hehe), but oddly, it does seem related to my mood. If I'm upset and cranky or dealing with a problem, yeah, it seems more noticeable.

I had ALH on the right side a little over a year ago, found in a biopsy. My surgeon at the time wanted to excise it, but I said, "Let's just do another mammogram in six months." In the meantime, he retired. The new surgeon ordered a mammogram to followup, and it wound up being longer than six months, but that's how things are these days. The ALH was gone. That surgeon said the biopsy might have removed it. Then SHE moved on to another job elsewhere! (Is it me??)

I like the latest surgeon. She's the one I referred to in the first paragraph. I'll have the mammogram on Feb 9 then see her immediately after.

I've been browsing this Benign Conditions forum (probably not such a good idea), but thought I'd post my story in case anyone wants to comment.

Background: We're all struggling right now, but this is my sitch: I'm 73, I live alone, and I have no family at all. I'm a widow. Ladies, I haven't had a good, solid full-body hug in YEARS. I get together with people (somewhat) but my physical self is starving. I'm also, sadly, caring for my declining, beloved 16-year old doggie, and I'm going to have to make a hard decision in the next few months. Others have it worse, but there's not much joy in my life at the moment. This pain is not bad-- I can live with it. I don't really care much what it is; I want to know what it isn't. Thanks for reading.

Comments

• janeqpoppy
    Options

I meant to put in my OP that ibuprofen does help alleviate the pain. That seems like a positive thing.

• beesie.is.out-of-office
    Options

Jane,

Is it possible that you pulled or strained something? Your description of how the pain moves around made me think of that - and that type of pain can linger for a long time.

Whatever it is, I hope it's nothing serious. Good luck with the mammo. If it's clear - and hopefully it is - but if the pain continues, given your breast cancer history, I think an MRI would be in order, just to be on the safe side.

Sending big squishy cyber (((Hugs))).

• rrobin0200
    rrobin0200 Member Posts: 80
    Options

Jane,

You’re doing the right thing. Whatever it is, we are here for you. Sending you lots of virtual hugs!!!!

• lw422
    lw422 Member Posts: 1,399
    Options

Hey Jane. Another ole' Texas gal here. Sorry you're having a scare but hopefully the mammo will be clear and you'll feel better soon. Let us know how you're doing. I know it's not the same, but I'm sending a big cyber hug to you.

• rah2464
    rah2464 Member Posts: 1,192
    Options

Jane glad you are doing the right thing and investigating and hoping it isn't anything to worry about. Sorry about the loss of your husband and about your concerns for your elderly pooch. I haven't experienced the first loss, but we recently had to let our 15 1/2 year old doggie go. Wish I could give you a huge hug in person. Bless you

• janeqpoppy
    Options

Thanks, y'all for those warm huggy replies. I know everybody understands why I have to followup on this. Those who haven't been touched by the Fickle Finger of Fate might say I'm making too much out of it.

@Beesie, it did occur to me that I might have strained something. Also, years of wearing the strapless underwire bras may have irritated the tissues. Full disclosure: that style of bra is not particularly comfortable, but I hatehatehate straps. I used to lay handkerchiefs across the inside of the bottom before I put the bra on to sort of pad it. It also has a wire stiffener on the side under the arm to help hold it up, and that often irritated me, too. God, I own about a dozen of those puppies, collected over the years (from BC). Yeah, an MRI might be next.

@Rah2464, so sorry about your doggie. I've had to do it before, and it's one of the worst experiences there is. It's extra hard going through it alone.

I just got up and the ache is very mild this morning, probably a 1. I took some ibuprofen. After I made the mammo appt two weeks ago, the following weekend it didn't hurt at all. And if the pain had completely disappeared, I would have canceled (not crazy about the idea of visiting a medical facility unnecessarily -- our local covid situation is currently labeled "severe," positivity rate is 39%). But, alas, the pain came back.

Virtual group hug!

Hug

• janeqpoppy
    Options

UPDATE: For the last six days, I've had NO PAIN at all. It had diminished down to a level 1, and then as of last Friday (the day after my last post), it was completely gone. Not even a twinge. So yesterday I canceled the mammogram. I'll probably never know what it was all about. Thanks for the support, ladies!